Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans America Trail 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sweeper View Post
    Tim, you know you want to do this.
    Yes Roy, the delicate operation of first getting 'her' to suggest it before insisting is in it's early stages
    KEA

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    Just think, you'll be starring it it in August
    you have a TEXT

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Yes Roy, the delicate operation of first getting 'her' to suggest it before insisting is in it's early stages
    Did I not sell it to Ange well enough then?
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

http://www.motorcycletraveldvds.com/

Purchased Trans Aam Trail DVD and MOAB what ever that means, bought on the advice of the man whome made them

Quote Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post
    http://www.motorcycletraveldvds.com/

Purchased Trans Aam Trail DVD and MOAB what ever that means, bought on the advice of the man whome made them
    Moab rocks ! - to do the TAT would be amazing but if you haven't got the time then spend a week in Moab and do the White Rim Trail , amongst others. Probably the best scenery and riding in North America.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Dream Maker
    Unfortunately, we don't have the time for Moab on this trip
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Well, I`m packed and waiting

i'm ready...

also can't wait

and i hear father xmas is getting me a Xtank plus some bling which will keep me busy when snowed in

R/C Hello pilot ;-)
    It would be interesting to know what bikes are being taken.

Very much looking forward to this:

What Bike?

Well, I will start this off, thinking of going retro with an XT500, bought a recently imported 1981 'H' version with 1,800 miles from new, looking to bling up the suspension, fit a new Clark larger tank and go through to make sure it will get me through.

However........ I will spend a few weeks when the snow clears making sure it is ok and if not then its got to be a KTM LC4 as these seem to be the dogs and quite cheap for a low milage example a couple of years old.

Any thoughs on the first choice as I will only be able to top around 75 on the rough stuff and don't want to be left behind

Steve

Roy, to answer your Q: I`m on a 05 KTM 525 DERSERT in FULL 143 Rallye spec I think you will understand that, just having some soft luggage brackets made and I`ll be riding it though the summer to get used to it.

Want to buy a GS 1200 Standard 30 year Anniversary, extra lights added.

what bike?

i'll be on a 3 year old x-challenge
    some protection bling added, eg: bash plate, soft bendy pedals, x-tank, etc
    i was planning to keep the original suspension (air / continental spring) and front forks - all in good nick and maintained
    is this dumb..?
    plan to only have soft luggage (one roll bag so no bracket and tank bag) - minimalist approach

75? can't wait...

am so jealous of you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    i was planning to keep the original suspension (air / continental spring) and front forks - all in good nick and maintained
    is this dumb..?
    re the front forks, i guess it depends on your weight, i'm 100Kgs without ny riding kit etc for me the forks would dive horrendously to the point i was told (by someone who knows about these things) it was dangerous so replaced the springs with hagon progressive springs much more stable now, cost about 85 for the springs and £40 to get them fitted

hth

Soft Luggage

I have seen this stuff and it is very good, no frame required and secure on the bike, quite a few of the desert chaps use it for two/three week trips.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/g...ex/cat_61.html

I am thinking of the 30l saddle bags and two tool tubes for tools and spares.

S

Quote Originally Posted by Koopz View Post
    I have seen this stuff and it is very good, no frame required and secure on the bike, quite a few of the desert chaps use it for two/three week trips.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/g...ex/cat_61.html

I am thinking of the 30l saddle bags and two tool tubes for tools and spares.

S
    http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/20...adventure.html

I bought a 2001 kawasaki KLR650 with 21000 on the clock.

Plan !!! - to strengthen sub-frame mounts, fabricate a skid plate, change clocks, new tyres with HD inners, road book holder, service, soft luggage on rear.

What gets done depends on work committments and how much I can persude the fitter at work to help me with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast