Trans America Trail 2011

http://www.motorcycletraveldvds.com/

Purchased Trans Aam Trail DVD and MOAB what ever that means, bought on the advice of the man whome made them

Moab rocks ! - to do the TAT would be amazing but if you haven't got the time then spend a week in Moab and do the White Rim Trail , amongst others. Probably the best scenery and riding in North America.

i'm ready...

also can't wait :bounce1

and i hear father xmas is getting me a Xtank plus some bling which will keep me busy when snowed in :JB

It would be interesting to know what bikes are being taken. :thumb

Very much looking forward to this:

TATmap_s.jpg

What Bike?

Well, I will start this off, thinking of going retro with an XT500, bought a recently imported 1981 'H' version with 1,800 miles from new, looking to bling up the suspension, fit a new Clark larger tank and go through to make sure it will get me through.

However........ I will spend a few weeks when the snow clears making sure it is ok and if not then its got to be a KTM LC4 as these seem to be the dogs and quite cheap for a low milage example a couple of years old.

Any thoughs on the first choice as I will only be able to top around 75 on the rough stuff and don't want to be left behind :augie

Steve

Roy, to answer your Q: I`m on a 05 KTM 525 DERSERT in FULL 143 Rallye spec I think you will understand that, just having some soft luggage brackets made and I`ll be riding it though the summer to get used to it.

Want to buy a GS 1200 Standard 30 year Anniversary, extra lights added.

what bike?

i'll be on a 3 year old x-challenge
some protection bling added, eg: bash plate, soft bendy pedals, x-tank, etc
i was planning to keep the original suspension (air / continental spring) and front forks - all in good nick and maintained
is this dumb..?
plan to only have soft luggage (one roll bag so no bracket and tank bag) - minimalist approach

75? :eek: can't wait... :bounce1

am so jealous of you guys :(

i was planning to keep the original suspension (air / continental spring) and front forks - all in good nick and maintained
is this dumb..?

re the front forks, i guess it depends on your weight, i'm 100Kgs without ny riding kit etc for me the forks would dive horrendously to the point i was told (by someone who knows about these things) it was dangerous so replaced the springs with hagon progressive springs much more stable now, cost about 85 for the springs and £40 to get them fitted

hth

I bought a 2001 kawasaki KLR650 with 21000 on the clock.

Plan !!! - to strengthen sub-frame mounts, fabricate a skid plate, change clocks, new tyres with HD inners, road book holder, service, soft luggage on rear.

What gets done depends on work committments and how much I can persude the fitter at work to help me with.

I have seen this stuff and it is very good, no frame required and secure on the bike, quite a few of the desert chaps use it for two/three week trips.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/...-dakar-sahara-touratech-zega-flex/cat_61.html

I am thinking of the 30l saddle bags and two tool tubes for tools and spares.

S

+1 for the giant loop saddle bag. I used the coyote for a trip down to the pyrenees last summer. a well made bit of kit that does the job.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238608

Both my Rallye bike and KTM640 ADV are flexing their muscles in the shed for the right to go. :)

Do I prep the HP2 and put a bigger fuel tank on it, or prep the 450X and put a bigger fuel tank on it? :confused:

Think it's got to be the HP2. :thumb

Hi Chris, I replied to your email Dec 28 and again this morning, don't know what is wrong. If you still haven't received it let me know, I'll check here from time to time.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi guys I've been lurking for a couple of months on here now but subscribed yesterday, I intend on doing he full TAT starting in Mid June and continuing to ride cross country through Oregon as far as Portland if I have time before I am forced into joining the tarmac to drop the bike in Seattle to be shipped home.

So I'll be following these threads with great intetest and probably asking one or two questions along the way I'd love to join the group but unfortunatly August is a no go due to work and other commitments (it was my original plan to head out on 1st August). I have prices now for most of the trip save for the dreaded shipping not sure if anyone is able to offer any advise on that matter but any info would be greatfully recieved.

Hi guys I've been lurking for a couple of months on here now but subscribed yesterday, I intend on doing he full TAT starting in Mid June and continuing to ride cross country through Oregon as far as Portland if I have time before I am forced into joining the tarmac to drop the bike in Seattle to be shipped home.

So I'll be following these threads with great intetest and probably asking one or two questions along the way I'd love to join the group but unfortunatly August is a no go due to work and other commitments (it was my original plan to head out on 1st August). I have prices now for most of the trip save for the dreaded shipping not sure if anyone is able to offer any advise on that matter but any info would be greatfully recieved.

Simon, you have a pm:thumb

Hi,is this full? if not,i could be very interested in this but it is dependant on a few things i have pencilled in for this year and whether i can get the time off work.

Is this 3 weeks or is it about 25days off work? I am guessing it is scheduled for August?
What bikes are people taking? I will need to buy a bike to do this trip on unless i do it on my 950adv.I was thinking perhaps a 450exc with a large tank since i find them easy to work on if need be.
The costs,it says etc etc,could you explain what is included?
What is the rough total miles? Just thinking tyre life and whether there would be an halfway point to swap one or perhaps just use an harder wearing tyre.

I am not a paid up member on here so if needed to PM me,i am on advrider with the same user name.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom