60CSX or 62S?

Istanbulian

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking at buying either a 60CSX or 62S.

Does anyone know if Garmin GB Explorer can be run on the 60CSX? T

he 62S is obviously the shiny new upstart but to be honest has a lot of features that I will never use. If I can get a 60CSX to run GB Explorer and City Navigator I think it will actually meet my (limited) needs better, and be more robust off-road.

Short answer is no. Some newer Garmin's (Oregon, 62, some others) can run raster maps (overlay/image maps like the OS maps) but the 60CSx can't, at least not without some hacking and customising. These newer units run the vector maps (which give you routing) with the raster maps as an overlay. The GB discover is a vector/raster combined map. Raster maps are like pictures, with no intelligence, whilst the vector mapping "knows" what things like roads and pubs and postcodes are to give you, for instance, turn-by turn routing. There are some units like Satmap that give you the raster OS maps but they don't really do routing, at least not without buying extra maps and I think they need a reboot to switch between raster and vector.

So, as far as I can see, if you want to ride trails looking at an OS map and then ask the unit to route you home or to the pub, I think your choice is one of the garmin units.

If you want to make your own maps here's a linky

I am looking at buying either a 60CSX or 62S.

Does anyone know if Garmin GB Explorer can be run on the 60CSX? T

he 62S is obviously the shiny new upstart but to be honest has a lot of features that I will never use. If I can get a 60CSX to run GB Explorer and City Navigator I think it will actually meet my (limited) needs better, and be more robust off-road.

The 62s is the replacement for the 60csx, so should be as robust as the 60. The 60 was a very good bit of kit and would do you fine at a lower price, unless you want routable OS maps, then either a Oregon/Dakota or the 62s would be better.

If your not bothered about looking at the maps whilst riding, the Dakota 10 or 20 is the cheapest way, the 62 has the best screen, roughly comparable with the 60. The Oregon 550 has a bigger screen and higher resolution, but not as good in very bright sunlight unless you can move the unit to reduce the glare, still a very good bit of kit, with geotag camera and rechargeable batteries included.

Just a little advice for anyone interested, always use the best rechargeable batteries you can get, they last much longer on a single charge and the screen stays brighter.

Thanks guys; I have decided that the 62S is the way to go.

Now all I need is a good bracket to hold it; at the moment RAM look to be the only suppliers in town. Does anyone know when (if?) Touratech are introducing a Garmin 62 bracket?

Touratek have taken over a year :ehto make the new bracket which is still 'under development'...:blast
they just don't know how to make the power feed water resistant - reckon its rocket science:fiddle
its not important to them- not much profit in it but wait for the braket- old csx one was 90 euros- expect about 135....:loopywheneva it comes out

The 62s is the replacement for the 60csx, so should be as robust as the 60.

In theory, but in practice, the 60 is tougher and the TT bracket is available and the power feed is perfect....... the 62 though is available, and that's about it.
You can load improved mapping on the 62, but if you are half clued up, the features and mapping on the 60 is ample.

T.

I have a 60CSx and love it and the bracket I have is the £10 plastic one they sell for push bikes. Wired up the power myself.

Back
Top Bottom