The "How many points I lost this weekend" thread.

This weekend there was another Classics trial, this time the Border club at Froncsysltte, near Chirk.
Tim had decided last week that it was time to move up to the Clubman, or yellow route, so this was to be his debut.
The "paddock" was the concrete yard of a truck dealers, very civilised, and the course was set out on the Llangollen club's ground at Fron Woods.
Hamish (HRO) came along to watch, and had brought his camera with him, so there should be a few good photos to add to this at some point.
The yellow route is trickier than the white route, but also longer, giving Tim plenty to think about! :D
I can usually remember my own scores, my memory of Tim's may not be as accurate!
Section 1 was an easy start, Tim cleaned this on all 4 laps.
Section 2 was up a stream bed, with loose slippery rocks to contend with. Tim had a couple of 3's here, and a couple of 1's.
Section 3 further up the stream, more of the same, Tim a couple of 3's and 1's.
Section 4 was easier, but Tim missed a gate on the 1st lap, thus gaining a 5, but clean for the remaining 3 laps.
Section 5, a slippy uphill right hander, up through a shallow rocky gully, and a jink to the right at the top. Tim managed a clean on this, and a 3, but a couple of times he may have been marked down as 5 for not going out of the end properly! I lost a silly dab on the 2nd lap here.
Section 6, a tricky one! Plenty of direction and elevation changes here, with some slick roots thrown in for good measure. I 5'd this on the first lap, not enough momentum over the roots, Tim cleaned it twice though! :thumb
Section 7 was straightforward, except for the turn at the bottom. I had an uneccesary dab here, again on lap 2. Tim had 3, 1, 1, clean, so improved as the day wore on.
Section 8 had a real sting in the tail, a greasy off-camber exit that was taking lots of marks. Tim's fist two laps ended in 5's, but then he managed to get out for 3's. Mine were 3, 3, 1, clean, made my day that one!
Section 9 began with a small rock step, then a tight turn to a drop down a ledge. Tim got kicked sideways by the rock and into a fence on the 3rd lap, so 5'd, but managed with 1 the rest of the laps.
Section 10 was a slalom through a jumble of rocks, which Tim got lost on the first lap, but recovered for a couple of cleans.

I've not got an exact total for Tim then, but my laps were 8,5,1,0. Of course, I'm on a modern mono, but I'm actively looking for a twinshock bike now. Hopefully, by the next time I'm in a trial with Tim, we'll be on similar machinery.
Mark

Nice one chaps :thumb2

Looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Results are up, on the Gresford Classics website (it appears the club has changed their name)
My count was correct for me, Tim lost 59, which isn't bad at all. :thumb
As soon as H sends me the pics, I'll put some up.
Mark

This weekend there was another Classics trial, this time the Border club at Froncsysltte, near Chirk.
Tim had decided last week that it was time to move up to the Clubman, or yellow route, so this was to be his debut.
The "paddock" was the concrete yard of a truck dealers, very civilised, and the course was set out on the Llangollen club's ground at Fron Woods.
Hamish (HRO) came along to watch, and had brought his camera with him, so there should be a few good photos to add to this at some point.
The yellow route is trickier than the white route, but also longer, giving Tim plenty to think about! :D
I can usually remember my own scores, my memory of Tim's may not be as accurate!
Section 1 was an easy start, Tim cleaned this on all 4 laps.
Section 2 was up a stream bed, with loose slippery rocks to contend with. Tim had a couple of 3's here, and a couple of 1's.
Section 3 further up the stream, more of the same, Tim a couple of 3's and 1's.
Section 4 was easier, but Tim missed a gate on the 1st lap, thus gaining a 5, but clean for the remaining 3 laps.
Section 5, a slippy uphill right hander, up through a shallow rocky gully, and a jink to the right at the top. Tim managed a clean on this, and a 3, but a couple of times he may have been marked down as 5 for not going out of the end properly! I lost a silly dab on the 2nd lap here.
Section 6, a tricky one! Plenty of direction and elevation changes here, with some slick roots thrown in for good measure. I 5'd this on the first lap, not enough momentum over the roots, Tim cleaned it twice though! :thumb
Section 7 was straightforward, except for the turn at the bottom. I had an uneccesary dab here, again on lap 2. Tim had 3, 1, 1, clean, so improved as the day wore on.
Section 8 had a real sting in the tail, a greasy off-camber exit that was taking lots of marks. Tim's fist two laps ended in 5's, but then he managed to get out for 3's. Mine were 3, 3, 1, clean, made my day that one!
Section 9 began with a small rock step, then a tight turn to a drop down a ledge. Tim got kicked sideways by the rock and into a fence on the 3rd lap, so 5'd, but managed with 1 the rest of the laps.
Section 10 was a slalom through a jumble of rocks, which Tim got lost on the first lap, but recovered for a couple of cleans.

I've not got an exact total for Tim then, but my laps were 8,5,1,0. Of course, I'm on a modern mono, but I'm actively looking for a twinshock bike now. Hopefully, by the next time I'm in a trial with Tim, we'll be on similar machinery.
Mark

Jeesus Mark, no sign of dementia with you!
I couldn't even remember my way around each route after walking them 2 mins beforehand:D

You had a good result mate, I reckon I could knock 20 of mine by getting my head around the routes:blast

Jeesus Mark, no sign of dementia with you!
I couldn't even remember my way around each route after walking them 2 mins beforehand:D

Yeah, I don't know what it is, I can't remember birthdays and anniversaries and such, but I can remember special tests, sections, and track layouts. :D
Mark

After a couple of months lay-off, I ventured high up onto Harden Moor, near Haworth in Bronte country

Glorious weather, frosty start but unbroken skies and clear views for 20 miles...........superb

Billed as a Novice Trial....................it was not:blast

Never fails to amaze me throughout Yorkshire, each club's interpretation of difficulty is a moving feast

The course was held on high moorland, with an abundance of rocks and some massive rock slabs of Pennine gritstone - with some massive climbs and drop-offs thrown-in

If you liked big rock..................this would be your terrain, unfortunately it's not my favourite:blast

Good trial though with an entry of over 100 riders, from 6 year olds to 70 year olds

4 laps of 10 sections took us a mammoth 4.5 hours, with only fuel stops

By mid lap 4, I was pretty knackered and misjudged a big drop off a huge living room sized rock slab, landing with the sump on the rock below from a height of 5 foot:eek:

The impact was transmitted from the solid sump plate, straight up to the bars, so much so................ I thought I'd broke both wrists instantly:tears:tears

Somehow I managed to hang on and ride out of the section for a clean, but after I had to sit in the heather to straighten my wrists:tears

I reckon I dropped 5-6 marks per lap, but no complete failures - so that makes a change

Nice to be back out again, riding Trials

Sorry no Trial pics, too busy riding

Just this one........................after a hard days sport:thumb

TrialsFeb2012004.jpg

After a couple of months lay-off, I ventured high up onto Harden Moor, near Haworth in Bronte country

Glorious weather, frosty start but unbroken skies and clear views for 20 miles...........superb

Billed as a Novice Trial....................it was not:blast

Never fails to amaze me throughout Yorkshire, each club's interpretation of difficulty is a moving feast

The course was held on high moorland, with an abundance of rocks and some massive rock slabs of Pennine gritstone - with some massive climbs and drop-offs thrown-in

If you liked big rock..................this would be your terrain, unfortunately it's not my favourite:blast

Good trial though with an entry of over 100 riders, from 6 year olds to 70 year olds

4 laps of 10 sections took us a mammoth 4.5 hours, with only fuel stops

By mid lap 4, I was pretty knackered and misjudged a big drop off a huge living room sized rock slab, landing with the sump on the rock below from a height of 5 foot:eek:

The impact was transmitted from the solid sump plate, straight up to the bars, so much so................ I thought I'd broke both wrists instantly:tears:tears

Somehow I managed to hang on and ride out of the section for a clean, but after I had to sit in the heather to straighten my wrists:tears

I reckon I dropped 5-6 marks per lap, but no complete failures - so that makes a change

Nice to be back out again, riding Trials

Sorry no Trial pics, too busy riding

Just this one........................after a hard days sport:thumb

TrialsFeb2012004.jpg

Results now in

3rd in Class:D...............out of 22

14 marks lost

Pleased with that one:bounce1

Good one Johnny, although I always did well on the white routes if I manage a top ten in this years Twinshock Clubman's I'll be happy....top five the year after may be my limit:D

Mark

Oops, meant to put these up ages ago!

That'll be a "5" then! (section 6)

IMG1836-L.jpg

On my way to section 5 on the second lap.

IMG1873-L.jpg

Tim at the same spot.

IMG1874-L.jpg

Cleaning section 6.

IMG1880-L.jpg

Tim doing the same.

IMG1884-L.jpg

Laughing as HRO pops out of the bushes with his Canon on section 7.

IMG1888-L.jpg

But the smile is wiped off by a silly dab.

IMG1889-L.jpg

Tim concentrating on not copying my mistake.

IMG1891-L.jpg

And he cleans it!

IMG1892-L.jpg

All smiles, before the killer section 8!

IMG1895-L.jpg

Section 10.

IMG1901-L.jpg

We're out again with the same club this weekend, but this time I'll be on my newly aquired Witehawk. This could be interesting. (looks for "fingers crossed" smilie, but can't find it)
Mark

We're out again with the same club this weekend, but this time I'll be on my newly aquired Witehawk. This could be interesting. (looks for "fingers crossed" smilie, but can't find it)
Mark

Same club, but probably not the same clerk of the course. Hell's teeth that was hard! I was looking forward to gently learning how the Whitehawk behaves, and its strengths and weaknesses. Instead I found mine, and had quite a tetchy day, with added exhaustion. :(
The bike didn't let me down, but I was concentrating too much on getting through the section (and in some cases between sections) to really work out how it was performing. 95 marks lost on clubman route.
Denise put in a gutsy ride given the conditions, some of which she has never encountered before. 105 lost on the white route
I'm going to have to be very careful though, that Godsmark fellow is getting awfully close...........
:D
Mark

Last edited:
I'm going to have to be very careful though, that Godsmark fellow is getting awfully close...........
:D
Mark

Ange is out all day and I'm supposed to be decorating the front room, I actually think some tyre marks on the walls would look good and at the same time I'd get some practice in:D

Yes that was a very tough trial, last trial I lost 17 this one a hundred and feckin four!:eek:

Aqueduct Classics today, and one I was really looking forward to after sorting the little niggles with the bike.
Lost 17 marks on the yellow route, which is around 15th of the 30 or so clubman entry. Had an unexpected "5" early on when I clipped a rock on a tight turn, and another when I made a horlicks of a slippery climb. Very pleased with the way the bike handles, now it has working suspension!
Denise had an great ride, really getting to grips with it now, and lost a total of 55 on the white route. (her goal was to lose less than 100. :D)
I'll let Tim and Ferret tell you about theirs. :thumb
Mark

Four laps of ten sections all in a river with the heaviest rain imaginable can only mean ...WOW what a fantastic day!!

On the last lap one section was cancelled as the observer could hear big rocks rumbling down the river:D

I don't care how many points I lost today, it was a ball:bounce1

Great to ride with you again Ferret, hope your bike's ok:thumb

The results are out Stewart/Ferret, I lost 49 they didn't count the last lap which is good news for some:thumb

My best ride and result in the Clubman class today, a joint 5th with Mark (Earthmover) dropping just 14 points:)
Both riding together, both not daring to drop a point on the last two laps (20 sections):D

Mark
P1030118-XL.jpg

The smile because it was a clean:clap
P1030134-XL.jpg

P1030122-XL.jpg

P1030144-XL.jpg

It all finally started to click together today...at last!
P1030125-XL.jpg

Fantastic days riding, we both had silly dabs which bumped the scores up, but kept us laughing all day! Denise took some photos too, but I'd forgotten the adapter for the camera. I'll stick some up later tonight.
The trial was the usual format of 4 laps of 10 sections, based on a stream running through the farm. On lap one, I finished 2 marks ahead of Tim. :D Lap two he finished one ahead of me. :clap Lap three we both had the same score, so as we came into the last lap I was holding a one point lead. I clipped the log at the exit of section 1, and had to dab to save it, putting us even. :blast The remaining 9 sections saw intense concentration from both of us, neither wanting to make the mistake that would tip the balance. At the end, there were three riders on 14 marks, Tim, Mark Samuel and myself. The tie breaker is the best score on the first section, Mark dropped 5, I got through for 3, but Tim only lost 2, so he is shown as 5th in the results, and therefore the club championships! :clap :clap :bow
More practice. :green gri
Mark

More practice. :green gri
Mark

I think part of the reason we both rode so well was that competitive last 2 laps but really didn't want to beat you as that's not my rightful place....equally I didn't want to lose:tears

Ange said to me this morning "What are you going to do when Mark's away in Alaska?"

I said "Practice":green gri:D

Back
Top Bottom