BSA Bantam D7 - FREE BIKE - Resto Thread

Let me know the length of the rear shocks and size of the eyes on each end I may have a pair of mint ones you can have for the cost of postage.

But it's really the engine you need to sort, I'll ask around:thumb
The mains and big ends may be shot through rust by now as well.:D

Yes it may be 'competition' head as it's centre plugged but not sure if it's a Todd head.

The expansion chamber is homemade, the dimensions are critical for it to work correctly but for general running I wouldn't worry too much.
If/when you get the barrel off, post some pics to see if it's been ported, I used to do a lot of that on the 175s, the flywheel may have been 'packed' to increase crankcase compression, this was against the rules for grass tracking when I did it.

If you're not in a rush and freebies don't come pouring in it may be worth waiting until the Classic bike show at Stafford is on for cheap bits.

Just done a search and pleased to see this firm still alive and kicking

http://www.canddautos.co.uk/

They bought most of the spares from BSA when they closed down. In the 1970's I rebuilt a Rocket Gold Star and they were able to supply quite a few genuine BSA bits :thumb

Might come in useful :)

:beerjug:

Vale Onslow in Brum is another good source of parts:thumb

Well, not much progress yet, as there are loads of other things keeping me busy.

Last night I had about an hour in the garage, so I managed to feed the chain through the front sprocket, spray all the nuts and bolts.

My nieghbour had popped over for a while, and watched me try to get the sparkplug undone..... using an old spanner I had, with a 12 inch pipe for extra leverage.

All I managed to do was to snap the porcelain head on the plud, and tear the metal of the old spanner, but not move the plug, he then fetched his one spanner, which still made no difference.

Who knows?

Could the plug and the ally of the head have fused together over the years, or could oxidation have taken this to a point where they are a fused unit ?

If so, what is the next step, as I am not a fan of excessive force.

The other thing I quickly assembled (still to be tested) was a "paddock stand" which is fitted on a pair of stove moving wheels/castors so that I can plonk the bike on there and start disassembling at some point.

I hope it works, as the bike obviously has no side or centre stand

P1010439.jpg

P1010442.jpg

My nieghbour had popped over for a while, and watched me try to get the sparkplug undone..... using an old spanner I had, with a 12 inch pipe for extra leverage.

All I managed to do was to snap the porcelain head on the plud, and tear the metal of the old spanner, but not move the plug, he then fetched his one spanner, which still made no difference.

If so, what is the next step, as I am not a fan of excessive force.

:D
What a thread, it's going to be even better than Snoppy's diesel bike.:clap

Has anyone suggested 'Bantam John' for spares

He has probably the most comprehensive spares cache and knowledge for this bike

DOH'HH

Grizz..
Brit crap needs lateral thinking :comfort:comfort
Take the head off, 4 bolts, never seen any seized, invert and leave for a week or so with a mix of parrafin/ vinegar in the combustion chamber..:thumb2
Whilst you're doing that :augie
You might as well put same mix in the bore, :thumb2
IF you are really lucky, :toungincheek the piston will be lower than the transfer ports, leaving a great opportunity to fill crankcase as well:thumb2
Then find something else to play with for a week or so :thumb2:thumb2

When you return to the bike, it will be so much easier...:rob

Grizz..
Brit crap needs lateral thinking :comfort:comfort
Take the head off, 4 bolts, never seen any seized, invert and leave for a week or so with a mix of parrafin/ vinegar in the combustion chamber..:thumb2
Whilst you're doing that :augie
You might as well put same mix in the bore, :thumb2
IF you are really lucky, :toungincheek the piston will be lower than the transfer ports, leaving a great opportunity to fill crankcase as well:thumb2
Then find something else to play with for a week or so :thumb2:thumb2

When you return to the bike, it will be so much easier...:rob

Sounds like sound advice Proff, I will start dismantling the bike when I have made some space for the bits that come off, so as not to "lose" them in the garage.

A bit more lateral thinking.:rob

When I was a lad racing them, I was told following a rebore to leave the barrel down the end of the garden for a couple of weeks to allow some pitting/rusting, when cleaned up this would help hold some oil in the bore and help prevent seizures.

Of course I left mine right at the end of the garden for exactly two weeks before rebuilding it.:rolleyes:
It never did seize despite being highly tuned and running just one piston ring which was changed every two meetings:D

The frame number will be on the headstock, I think the engine number will be on the crankcase just below the barrel!

The swing arm model was introduced in December 1957 with the Bantam Super.

:beerjug:

Hi Micky,

For those of you who know how to interpret engine and frame numbers..... here you go.

Here are some pics and the numbers I found.

Engine number : ED7B

P1010443.jpg

Frame number at the rear of the frame, below the engine mount.

Frame number: 90 4315 (looked like 9D 4316 at first)

P1010447.jpg

Carburetor has a series of numbers as well, some on the pic, and more on the other side.

Amal Carburetor number: 376/300 4 66

P1010444.jpg

Also hoiked it onto the "paddock stand" or is that garage stand.

Works a treat, stable and holds the bike.

P1010450.jpg

Lastly, removed one of the shocks to measure up for Timolgra.

Pic taken next to measuring tape for clarity.

Shock - Spring: 8" Long, 2" Diameter.
Shock Body total length - 13"
Body mounting hole centres @ 11 3/4"
Shock mounting points - 1" wide with rubber bushes inside.

P1010451.jpg

I have the books from 1946 to 1958 and then 1965 to 1974

I think your bike lies in between these dates Grizz!

In November '57 the engines had prefix BD3B and yours is later than that.

Full width hubs were introduced in 1967 and yours is earlier than that.

December 1957 the Bantam Super (174cc) was introduced with inclined engine, telescopic forks, swing arm rear suspension, 18 " wheels.

The BSA Owners Club should be able to match everything up.

The Frame number above is a casting mark. The frame number will be stamped in to the frame and probably have prefix D7 -----

Probably stamped in around the headstock area or possibly the front engine mounting lugs.

Hope this helps :beerjug:

Thanks Micky, I will go take a longer look at the frame tomorrow or over the weekend to see what the headstock shows, currently it is very smooth with loads of thick green paint all over it.

I have the books from 1946 to 1958 and then 1965 to 1974

I think your bike lies in between these dates Grizz!

In November '57 the engines had prefix BD3B and yours is later than that.

Full width hubs were introduced in 1967 and yours is earlier than that.

December 1957 the Bantam Super (174cc) was introduced with inclined engine, telescopic forks, swing arm rear suspension, 18 " wheels.

The BSA Owners Club should be able to match everything up.

The Frame number above is a casting mark. The frame number will be stamped in to the frame and probably have prefix D7 -----

Probably stamped in around the headstock area or possibly the front engine mounting lugs.

Hope this helps :beerjug:

Been out to the garage again, cleaned the lugs, headstock and still no numbers.

Not sure the paint would have covered it over so completely.

Maybe another look in daylight will help.

Different of you get up close........

Would make me grin madly and add more effort if it was a 1963, my birth year and the year of the Transit bus.:D

Glad to hear your in better condition:thumb

....for the year.......the bike is in much better condition:augie:augie

Now stop messing about with that bike and get the kitchen sorted

I'm pretty sure the seat, controls and mudguards are all Sammy miller stuff - probly still available ? - but not worth preserving

....for the year.......the bike is in much better condition:augie:augie

Now stop messing about with that bike and get the kitchen sorted

Painted that cream sideboard white today, used enamel..... bastard stuff is still tacky.

Nicola got a conversion kit for the range cooker that was delivered today as well.

Extractor hood got delivered today as well.

Probably start dismantling over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom