BSA Bantam D7 - FREE BIKE - Resto Thread

Is it running yet:thumb2

Nope, suspect it will take a bit more work than either of your Kwaks or the BSA :augie

Just leaving it in the diesel till tomorrow.

Went to Rye for the day with Nicola, as she has to burn away some excess anual leave.

Today I went and spemt some money and got some ATF, and 2 x 50ml bottles of acetone. For some reason the pharmacist said it cannot be sold in decent quantities for some silly health and safety reason.

1l ATF - £4.99 2x50ml Acetone - £3.04

Will mix 100ml of each tomorrow some time and get that onto the barrel and one side of the head to see what it gets up to.

The only heat I have at home is an electric heatgun for stripping paint etc, so that will be "Plan D" if the next mix fails to penetrate and release everything.

P1090087.jpg

Today I went and spemt some money and got some ATF, and 2 x 50ml bottles of acetone. For some reason the pharmacist said it cannot be sold in decent quantities for some silly health and safety reason.

1l ATF - £4.99 2x50ml Acetone - £3.04

Will mix 100ml of each tomorrow some time and get that onto the barrel and one side of the head to see what it gets up to.

The only heat I have at home is an electric heatgun for stripping paint etc, so that will be "Plan D" if the next mix fails to penetrate and release everything.

P1090087.jpg

Might i suggest get some olive oil heat it up until it is smoking and pour carefully on the piston it does free up a seized engine.

Went to Rye for the day with Nicola, as she has to burn away some excess

Hope you're missus doesn't read this thread mate:augie

I'll put the shocks in the post tomorrow, although I feel it may be a while before you get to test them.....and I see you've been sniffing around the Twin Shock Trials thread, see you there?

Hope you're missus doesn't read this thread mate:augie

I'll put the shocks in the post tomorrow, although I feel it may be a while before you get to test them.....and I see you've been sniffing around the Twin Shock Trials thread, see you there?

Never ridden a trials bike, always just tried to keep feet up on awkward places and over small obstacles, but would love to be able to ride like that.
This bike...... back on the road (well, off the road really) would allow me to to play around a bit.

Would love to be able to do the magic guys who know their way around a course get up to.

I had a "cubic meter" of chopped fire wood delivered today @ £60 delivered, the volume vs my own efforts with my own chainsaw and axes is a close balance, but I guess it does save me time for other stuff.

Wile I was moving the wood from where it was dumped to the back of the garage and also chopping some of it smaller (this is typical Pub style fireplace sized wood) and storing elsewhere to dry, the postman popped his head over the side gate and called me to fetch my post...... His comment was... "your shocks are here, have you got the bike going yet ? " :D:D:D

I do love living in the country, where your postie knows where you are hiding and what you are getting up to.

Anyway, the shocks have landed, and I will leave them alone till I have a running engine, or at least moving parts.

Massive thanks to Timolgra for packing them and posting them off to help get this Bitsa Rust and Bitsa BSA back on the road.

1170230971_XtGpV-XL.jpg

In other news, those with a keen eye will see that the stud that had the seized nut attached to it, is now back in place, with a shiny nut on it.
I took a 5lb hammer and used the coaxing method of getting it unstuck.
Part of the thread stayed behind, so I used the new nut to rerun the thread to a point where I can get it in as deep as it is now.

I suspect these studs are threaded in BSW, BSF or BSC and who knows what else ??

Fingers crossed it all comes together in the end again.

P1090097.jpg

Right now go around to your local iron monger or metal shop, and get a bit of steel bar that will go daigonaly across the barrel, taking in two of the bolts, drill three holes in the bar, two for the head bolts, and a threaded hole in the centre, then just wind a bolt down onto a block of alloy that sits on the piston, wind it down tight with a socket, and leave it, then every day add a bit more pressure to the bolt.
If the head bolts come out you have gone to far on the pressure:eek:

There you go Kev, now just need to figure the rest out :D:D:D:D

OK, so I have been slacking a bit.

But then I did say I was going to try be patient.

Yesterday was Nicola's bithday, so after a cuppa tea in bed, some prezzies and a nice new helmet, we went over to Royal Tunbridge Wells for the day, shopping and being tourists.

Today I was going to paint the garage door frames that I did on Friday, their second coat, and also paint the outside of the garage, I am going from plain stark white to a softer Magnolia or cream colour, instead I ended up carting a load of wooden pallets and wood home fromt he neighbour 2 houses away, to chop up for the fire place, and also brought about 12 breeze blocks home for later use.

The other thing I did, and got caught on camera by Nicola for, was to hammer away at the stuck piston.....

Pics to follow.

I also took the exhaust off, and got the bike on its side to remove the rear brake pedal, and just started on the footpegs which have been WELDED onto the frame, when the neighbour came to ask if i wanted all the wood and bricks, which again distracted me.

Truely caught "Red Handed" by Nicola who heard the racket and came to inspect, camera at the ready.

P1090100.jpg

This is how far I got with the strip down.
Piston down, and ports showing.
The barrel does not want to move from where it is, I also tried gently to remove the studs, failing there.

P1090106.jpg

At this point I stopped with the bike and switched to "woodwork"

Hopefully I can figure out tomorrow what to do with the welded on, home made footpegs.

I suspect they will be staying there, as the damage may be irreversable.

P1090112.jpg

t'interweb and my home line have been dead since Friday.

I had 2 interviews this week, one in Birmingham, and been busy with a load of other stuff, so not touched anything in the garage except for circular saw, crowbar and axes. :D

Have had a bit of a busy weekend too, just got home 15 minutes ago, to find the phone line still dead, but internet back up and running, catching up now.

I will get back to the bikes through this week, depending on if I get 2nd interviews for jobs, which are all day "assessment centres"

Tch, excuses:rolleyes:
:D

Not much happened since you went Tch !!!

However, this was posted in thetrial section of Advrider.

Have to say, it is lovely, and pretty much the look I would love to get with this bike. Even if it is hardtailed, same basic looks.

2dvo39e.jpg

Great thread one of the best i have read in a long while ... Good luck with the renovation :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom