Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilltop Motorcycles, Earl Shilton

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Question Hilltop Motorcycles, Earl Shilton

I've been trying to contact Geoff at the above for a couple of days and got no response to the phone. Does anyone pass by or live near and know whether they're having a winter break?

No idea, but wondered if you have had some work done by them, or are planning to?

They did a good job on my ZZR and he kept telling me how much BMW's can be improved, not yet found anyone who can confirm this.

I live opposite!

seriously i live in the road of the mini island next to it i will be walking past on Monday when i get my son from school so can pop in with message etc

Rasher,

I have come across a few people who have had work done on GS's and other BMW's by Geoff and are very impressed. A few of us up here are planning to do the same.

IG GSER,

If you could just let me know if they appear to be doing business as normal that would be good. Previously they have not been difficult to contact by phone,

Many thanks,

07875 304772
    Try 01455 840998

Quote Originally Posted by harry the cat View Post
    Rasher,

I have come across a few people who have had work done on GS's and other BMW's by Geoff and are very impressed. A few of us up here are planning to do the same.
    My main concern was if it affects fuel consumption as I know the GS runs very lean to achieve good MPG, I wondered if getting a load more grunt may affect this badly.

No brainer on the ZZR as like most Jap fours it runs very rich in standard trim and both power and MPG were improved noticeably with the remap.

I would also need to wait until warranty is up and I guess renewing warranty would be pointless as any such work will invalidate it.

I've been trying to contact Geoff at the above for a couple of days and got no response to the phone. Does anyone pass by or live near and know whether they're having a winter break?
    I called in today, he has been off but back to normal now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    My main concern was if it affects fuel consumption as I know the GS runs very lean to achieve good MPG, I wondered if getting a load more grunt may affect this badly.

No brainer on the ZZR as like most Jap fours it runs very rich in standard trim and both power and MPG were improved noticeably with the remap.

I would also need to wait until warranty is up and I guess renewing warranty would be pointless as any such work will invalidate it.
    I asked all the above questions today, and was told.. it should improve mpg as the engine will be more efficiently through the rev range.

OK, this refers to 4 wheels, but it's the same...

So why should I remap my ECU?

When vehicles are distributed throughout the world, manufacturers adopt a one map fits all policy. This one map has to take into account many different factors that are necessary for each export country. Areas such as climate, emissions, fuel quality etc all have to be considered by the manufacturer. What this means is that a vehicle ECU is never optimised for one individual situation.

So how can remapping help

They will actually read your own engine's map file, modify it and then upload it back to the ECU. The company should always take the time to find out your own individual requirements and what you want to achieve from a remap. They will then tailor the map to suit before it is uploaded back to the ECU. By remapping your ECU it is easily possible to release extra power and torque from your engine without any reliability issues. Many owners also report that they have seen improved fuel economy once their engine has been remapped (chipped). Be aware that although many customers experience improved fuel economy, this depends on your own driving style and how heavy your right foot is.

The increase in power and torque that is gained using ECU remapping provides a much smoother drive, with increased flexibility throughout the rev range, allowing for smoother acceleration and better overtaking.

By remapping a normally aspirated engine ECU, you would normally expect to see a 10 - 15% increase in power (bhp) depending on your exact engine specification, and around a 15 - 20% increase in torque (Nm) throughout the rev range. This improves engine response on a lighter throttle.

You will notice an improvement in power and torque right throughout the rev range, along with the possibility of improved fuel economy.

I was concerned regarding the warranty, but even if the bike is "plugged in" at a dealers, they can't tell the ECU has been remapped, it won't show up on their diagnostic equipment.

He offered me 2 "tweaks", the one that will smooth the engine out, which will get rid of the sluggishness (not so much on the twin cam engine) or the "GLF" (Go like F**K) which will give much better torque and throttle response throughout the rev range

Apparently 'Rainbow' has sent him a few bikes to tweak, so is there anyone out there who has had it done, and what does it ride like? As I'm thinking of getting my 2010 GSA done now.

Ta

Thanks for the responses, I'll give Geoff a ring tomorrow.

The locals (most of whom are Rainbow customers) I've spoken to who have had their bikes 'done' say that the mpg has not been adversely affected but there have been gains in terms of torque, smoothness, and bhp at the back wheel.

For me on the 800gs it's about smoothing out the power delivery and anything else is a bonus.

Thanks for the responses, I'll give Geoff a ring tomorrow.

The locals (most of whom are Rainbow customers) I've spoken to who have had their bikes 'done' say that the mpg has not been adversely affected but there have been gains in terms of torque, smoothness, and bhp at the back wheel.

For me on the 800gs it's about smoothing out the power delivery and anything else is a bonus.
    Let me know how you get on, and which tweak you go for, as I'm not having anything done on mine till after it's 12000 service in a few weeks time

Balders 1450:

Contact established and four of us going, a 1200 GSA 2 x 800 GS, 1 x 650 X country. I'll let you know what everyone thinks.

Balders 1450:

Contact established and four of us going, a 1200 GSA 2 x 800 GS, 1 x 650 X country. I'll let you know what everyone thinks.
    Harry the Cat...Nice one, when you going over, I only live a couple a miles away!

keep in touch!

Balders 1450:

Cool.....................I'll let you lot go first

With my fleet, it could prove expensive
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Balders1450 View Post
    Harry the Cat...Nice one, when you going over, I only live a couple a miles away!

keep in touch!
    I'm hoping to be first on about 9am ish

I had a Techlusion supplied by Wunderlich for my 2004 F650GS-Dakar and it made a world of difference. Hoping for the same with my G650XC on Saturday

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I'm hoping to be first on about 9am ish

I had a Techlusion supplied by Wunderlich for my 2004 F650GS-Dakar and it made a world of difference. Hoping for the same with my G650XC on Saturday

I'll be over!

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Balders1450 View Post
    I'll be over!
    I'll get the coffee

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast