Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hilltop Motorcycles, Earl Shilton

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

An interesting day!

Balders 1450 - nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the experience. We certainly did.

A day in Geoff's company is a good laugh. He knows his stuff and has a wealth of anecdotes and stories about biking at speed, paragliding, and computers believe it or not.

All four of us are happy with the process and the outcome. All of us experienced improvements in bhp and torque at the back wheel which translates nicely into smoother more responsive performance (and increased power).

Micky and Magnet have posted separately on the 'what I did with my bike today' thread.

Perhaps the biggest obvious gain was with Andy's 1200 GSA where the fuelling was well out of kilter at the outset.

With the 800gs's the fuelling wasn't all that much awry and I thought we might end up slightly disappointed. Geoff managed to work his magic however and the improvement is more than noticeable, not just in graph's and printouts but on the road where it matters.

I'd recommend Geoff at Hilltop and will no doubt go back there again with my next bike, whatever that might be.

He could do with a kettle and some tea bags though. He seems to exist on tap water and fags!

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I'll get the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by harry the cat View Post
    He could do with a kettle and some tea bags though. He seems to exist on tap water and fags!

Yeah ... no coffee

But I got a great bacon and egg butty

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Balders 1450 - nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the experience. We certainly did.

A day in Geoff's company is a good laugh. He knows his stuff and has a wealth of anecdotes and stories about biking at speed, paragliding, and computers believe it or not.

All four of us are happy with the process and the outcome. All of us experienced improvements in bhp and torque at the back wheel which translates nicely into smoother more responsive performance (and increased power).

Micky and Magnet have posted separately on the 'what I did with my bike today' thread.

Perhaps the biggest obvious gain was with Andy's 1200 GSA where the fuelling was well out of kilter at the outset.

With the 800gs's the fuelling wasn't all that much awry and I thought we might end up slightly disappointed. Geoff managed to work his magic however and the improvement is more than noticeable, not just in graph's and printouts but on the road where it matters.

I'd recommend Geoff at Hilltop and will no doubt go back there again with my next bike, whatever that might be.

It was good to meet all of you, glad to hear you all found improvements, getting mine done in the next couple of weeks, can't wait !!

What was the gain on the 1200?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    What was the gain on the 1200?
    I think they got it up to to 200bhp
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Shit the bed. That place is not 500m from where I live. Should have warned the troops I could have solved the tea and bacon shortage (aka I should read the EM section more)

500 mtrs to leicester?

Hi Sockpuppet where do you live what do you ride?

I live in Keats Lane and ride a 12gs.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
    Shit the bed. That place is not 500m from where I live. Should have warned the troops I could have solved the tea and bacon shortage (aka I should read the EM section more)
    Yes you should matie ... we missed out on the tea and coffee but I got the buttie

Would have been good to see you again

Adventure.GS

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Rasher - not sure of the GSA's figures as Andy doesn't post on here. I know he was well pleased. I'll try to get them for you.

Rasher - not sure of the GSA's figures as Andy doesn't post on here. I know he was well pleased. I'll try to get them for you.
    See post#21
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Post 21?

Johnny - not even Geoff could get that from one of those old ditch pump engines

1200 GSA figures

Rasher - figures as promised:

These are based on the start and finish figures for the 6th gear roll on which is used to assess and correct the fuelling -

Start:

78.59 bhp at 6809.9 revs
    70.11 ft lbs at 3498.2 revs

Finish:

98.36 bhp at 7540.2 revs
    78.52 ft lbs at 6002.1 revs.

The increases in terms of percentage are 25.16% and 12% respectively which on the face of it is quite a lot.

The truly outrageous figures come later when Geoff undertakes a number of runs across all gears to fine tune the power delivery. The maximum figures are 100.6 bhp at 7620.5 revs and 137.65 ft lbs at 3160, both in second gear.

All those figures are at the back wheel obviously. They do not equate to the figures quoted by manufacturers which are calculated differently and before any power is lost en route from the engine to the wheel. I think Geoff said they use third gear where both BHP and torque are lower.

All four of us have spoken since we have had chance to ride the bikes again after the process. We are all very pleased. I have to confess I was a bit of sceptic but I have now seen the light

I've just been across to Wales for this years Dragon Rally

The G650XC has only got a 10 litre tank, but with extra performance, and using it, I'm getting 10 to 15 more miles to a tank full

On them thar back roads of the Welsh hills I had to keep waiting for the 1150's and 1200's

Adventure.GS

Rasher - figures as promised:

These are based on the start and finish figures for the 6th gear roll on which is used to assess and correct the fuelling -

Start:

78.59 bhp at 6809.9 revs
    70.11 ft lbs at 3498.2 revs

Finish:

98.36 bhp at 7540.2 revs
    78.52 ft lbs at 6002.1 revs.

The increases in terms of percentage are 25.16% and 12% respectively which on the face of it is quite a lot.

The truly outrageous figures come later when Geoff undertakes a number of runs across all gears to fine tune the power delivery. The maximum figures are 100.6 bhp at 7620.5 revs and 137.65 ft lbs at 3160, both in second gear.

All those figures are at the back wheel obviously. They do not equate to the figures quoted by manufacturers which are calculated differently and before any power is lost en route from the engine to the wheel. I think Geoff said they use third gear where both BHP and torque are lower.

All four of us have spoken since we have had chance to ride the bikes again after the process. We are all very pleased. I have to confess I was a bit of sceptic but I have now seen the light
    Just had mine done....

Start

84.89 bhp @ 8048 rpm

64 Ft/lbs torque @ 3812 rpm

Finish

104.64 bhp @ 7701 rpm

82.62 Ft/lbs torque @ 6275 rpm

Max figures

103.38 bhp @ 7575 rpm

140.14 Ft/lbs torque @ 3047 rpm

The fuel air ratio was way out, very lean, now it's spot on, it's like riding a different bike. On ride back, in 6th gear at 33 mph and just opening throttle it pulls like a train, so different, the low down torque is amazing, no need to change down to get a move on, but if you do it really goes!

Very happy with results, highly recommended!

I assumethe "Max" figures in torque are taken from an all gears run when the bike changes gear, these are not normally considered a true Max.

The figures should be taken from a high gear run (5th or 6th on most bikes, but I know my ZZR was done in 4th as 5th gear gets the rollers a bit wobbly at 180mph) and also with a warm engine (typically after a dummy run or two)

Still very impressive increase, must have been running very badly to only knock out mid 80's, they normally score high 90's in the road tests I have read - you sure Geoff did not do first run stood on rear brake!

100+ BHP on his dyno is very good, you can add a good 5% if comparing it to a dynojet as they over-read quite badly.

Let me know how you find fuel consumption on longer runs now, may be tempted myself if it helps prevent the dreaded valve drop and gives a few more mpg, the extra power is not a must have for me as I sold the last bike in a bid to slow down!

Any chance of posting up graphs, I like that sort of thing.

The bike was running great before, in acceleration and roll on through gears with my mates 08 GS with K & N filter and full Akro it was identical, even with the extra weight of a GSA and a full tank, so now I should leave him standing. It's not the extra power but the torque and drivability which is the difference, will post mpg when I take her out for a good run.

Graphs
    1. 1st run... BHP & Torque all over the place and Fuel air very lean up to 4000rpm.
    2. Last run... much smoother power delivery

3. 1st through gears.... what a mess

4. Last through gears... much better
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast