Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 32 of 60

Thread: Hilltop Motorcycles, Earl Shilton

  1. #17
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In exile in Derbyshire
    Posts
    557

    An interesting day!

    Balders 1450 - nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the experience. We certainly did.

    A day in Geoff's company is a good laugh. He knows his stuff and has a wealth of anecdotes and stories about biking at speed, paragliding, and computers believe it or not.

    All four of us are happy with the process and the outcome. All of us experienced improvements in bhp and torque at the back wheel which translates nicely into smoother more responsive performance (and increased power).

    Micky and Magnet have posted separately on the 'what I did with my bike today' thread.

    Perhaps the biggest obvious gain was with Andy's 1200 GSA where the fuelling was well out of kilter at the outset.

    With the 800gs's the fuelling wasn't all that much awry and I thought we might end up slightly disappointed. Geoff managed to work his magic however and the improvement is more than noticeable, not just in graph's and printouts but on the road where it matters.

    I'd recommend Geoff at Hilltop and will no doubt go back there again with my next bike, whatever that might be.

    He could do with a kettle and some tea bags though. He seems to exist on tap water and fags!

  2. #18
    Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    15,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I'll get the coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by harry the cat View Post
    He could do with a kettle and some tea bags though. He seems to exist on tap water and fags!

    Yeah ... no coffee

    But I got a great bacon and egg butty


    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

    "If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by harry the cat View Post
    Balders 1450 - nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the experience. We certainly did.

    A day in Geoff's company is a good laugh. He knows his stuff and has a wealth of anecdotes and stories about biking at speed, paragliding, and computers believe it or not.

    All four of us are happy with the process and the outcome. All of us experienced improvements in bhp and torque at the back wheel which translates nicely into smoother more responsive performance (and increased power).

    Micky and Magnet have posted separately on the 'what I did with my bike today' thread.

    Perhaps the biggest obvious gain was with Andy's 1200 GSA where the fuelling was well out of kilter at the outset.

    With the 800gs's the fuelling wasn't all that much awry and I thought we might end up slightly disappointed. Geoff managed to work his magic however and the improvement is more than noticeable, not just in graph's and printouts but on the road where it matters.

    I'd recommend Geoff at Hilltop and will no doubt go back there again with my next bike, whatever that might be.

    He could do with a kettle and some tea bags though. He seems to exist on tap water and fags!
    It was good to meet all of you, glad to hear you all found improvements, getting mine done in the next couple of weeks, can't wait !!

  4. #20
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    3,263
    What was the gain on the 1200?

  5. #21
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    What was the gain on the 1200?
    I think they got it up to to 200bhp
    JohnnyBoxer



    So many roads...........So little time......

  6. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    A Field
    Posts
    1,704
    Shit the bed. That place is not 500m from where I live. Should have warned the troops I could have solved the tea and bacon shortage (aka I should read the EM section more)

  7. #23
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nr Loughborough
    Posts
    1,697

    500 mtrs to leicester?

    Hi Sockpuppet where do you live what do you ride?

    I live in Keats Lane and ride a 12gs.

    Ian

  8. #24
    Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    15,857
    Quote Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
    Shit the bed. That place is not 500m from where I live. Should have warned the troops I could have solved the tea and bacon shortage (aka I should read the EM section more)
    Yes you should matie ... we missed out on the tea and coffee but I got the buttie

    Would have been good to see you again

    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

    "If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

  9. #25
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In exile in Derbyshire
    Posts
    557
    Rasher - not sure of the GSA's figures as Andy doesn't post on here. I know he was well pleased. I'll try to get them for you.

  10. #26
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,877
    Quote Originally Posted by harry the cat View Post
    Rasher - not sure of the GSA's figures as Andy doesn't post on here. I know he was well pleased. I'll try to get them for you.
    See post#21
    JohnnyBoxer



    So many roads...........So little time......

  11. #27
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In exile in Derbyshire
    Posts
    557

    Post 21?

    Johnny - not even Geoff could get that from one of those old ditch pump engines

  12. #28
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In exile in Derbyshire
    Posts
    557

    1200 GSA figures

    Rasher - figures as promised:

    These are based on the start and finish figures for the 6th gear roll on which is used to assess and correct the fuelling -

    Start:

    78.59 bhp at 6809.9 revs
    70.11 ft lbs at 3498.2 revs

    Finish:

    98.36 bhp at 7540.2 revs
    78.52 ft lbs at 6002.1 revs.

    The increases in terms of percentage are 25.16% and 12% respectively which on the face of it is quite a lot.

    The truly outrageous figures come later when Geoff undertakes a number of runs across all gears to fine tune the power delivery. The maximum figures are 100.6 bhp at 7620.5 revs and 137.65 ft lbs at 3160, both in second gear.

    All those figures are at the back wheel obviously. They do not equate to the figures quoted by manufacturers which are calculated differently and before any power is lost en route from the engine to the wheel. I think Geoff said they use third gear where both BHP and torque are lower.

    All four of us have spoken since we have had chance to ride the bikes again after the process. We are all very pleased. I have to confess I was a bit of sceptic but I have now seen the light

  13. #29
    Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    15,857
    I've just been across to Wales for this years Dragon Rally

    The G650XC has only got a 10 litre tank, but with extra performance, and using it, I'm getting 10 to 15 more miles to a tank full

    On them thar back roads of the Welsh hills I had to keep waiting for the 1150's and 1200's

    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

    "If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

  14. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by harry the cat View Post
    Rasher - figures as promised:

    These are based on the start and finish figures for the 6th gear roll on which is used to assess and correct the fuelling -

    Start:

    78.59 bhp at 6809.9 revs
    70.11 ft lbs at 3498.2 revs

    Finish:

    98.36 bhp at 7540.2 revs
    78.52 ft lbs at 6002.1 revs.

    The increases in terms of percentage are 25.16% and 12% respectively which on the face of it is quite a lot.

    The truly outrageous figures come later when Geoff undertakes a number of runs across all gears to fine tune the power delivery. The maximum figures are 100.6 bhp at 7620.5 revs and 137.65 ft lbs at 3160, both in second gear.

    All those figures are at the back wheel obviously. They do not equate to the figures quoted by manufacturers which are calculated differently and before any power is lost en route from the engine to the wheel. I think Geoff said they use third gear where both BHP and torque are lower.

    All four of us have spoken since we have had chance to ride the bikes again after the process. We are all very pleased. I have to confess I was a bit of sceptic but I have now seen the light
    Just had mine done....


    Start

    84.89 bhp @ 8048 rpm

    64 Ft/lbs torque @ 3812 rpm

    Finish

    104.64 bhp @ 7701 rpm

    82.62 Ft/lbs torque @ 6275 rpm

    Max figures

    103.38 bhp @ 7575 rpm

    140.14 Ft/lbs torque @ 3047 rpm

    The fuel air ratio was way out, very lean, now it's spot on, it's like riding a different bike. On ride back, in 6th gear at 33 mph and just opening throttle it pulls like a train, so different, the low down torque is amazing, no need to change down to get a move on, but if you do it really goes!

    Very happy with results, highly recommended!

  15. #31
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    3,263
    I assumethe "Max" figures in torque are taken from an all gears run when the bike changes gear, these are not normally considered a true Max.

    The figures should be taken from a high gear run (5th or 6th on most bikes, but I know my ZZR was done in 4th as 5th gear gets the rollers a bit wobbly at 180mph) and also with a warm engine (typically after a dummy run or two)

    Still very impressive increase, must have been running very badly to only knock out mid 80's, they normally score high 90's in the road tests I have read - you sure Geoff did not do first run stood on rear brake!

    100+ BHP on his dyno is very good, you can add a good 5% if comparing it to a dynojet as they over-read quite badly.

    Let me know how you find fuel consumption on longer runs now, may be tempted myself if it helps prevent the dreaded valve drop and gives a few more mpg, the extra power is not a must have for me as I sold the last bike in a bid to slow down!

    Any chance of posting up graphs, I like that sort of thing.

  16. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,507
    The bike was running great before, in acceleration and roll on through gears with my mates 08 GS with K & N filter and full Akro it was identical, even with the extra weight of a GSA and a full tank, so now I should leave him standing. It's not the extra power but the torque and drivability which is the difference, will post mpg when I take her out for a good run.

    Graphs
    1. 1st run... BHP & Torque all over the place and Fuel air very lean up to 4000rpm.
    2. Last run... much smoother power delivery

    3. 1st through gears.... what a mess

    4. Last through gears... much better
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"