A Classic Welsh Trial

Is the word 'Classic' the thing that makes this different to the Trials you see where a kid launches a bike 8 feet to the top of a wall from a standing start?

That and age:rob:D

To me it's a different sport.
Classic, generally means twin shock and pre '65.
On these bikes there's a different riding style and no one's going to leap a '59 Matchless 8 foot up a cliff.

I'm no expert at all in this, just enthusiastic:bounce1, there's others here who've been involved in the sport for a long time whilst I've always had a real interest it's only now I've got around to getting a bike and having a go. A 'modern' trials bike, although much 'better' would be of no interest to me:)

Good stuff and very interesting.

I have for sometime fancied getting an older trail bike and having a go at a few classic events. Never really given any thought to the trials, JB certainly seems to enjoy his days out from what I hear.

JB certainly seems to enjoy his days out from what I hear.

JB's been doing it most of his life and is pretty good, but don't tell him I said so:D....I think his recent celebate lifestyle's renewed his interest and is even talking of getting another twin shock....if he can prise his wallet open:augie

Tim - that looked fun!

As someone else said, I usually associate trials these days with scaling 20 foot cliffs from a standing start and flinging your self off heights that basejumpers might consider for a parachute jump :eek:

But that looked taxing without being outright fecking scary.

:beerjug: for posting pics

Cheap is good in my book :D

I'd not be looking to do more than compete and learn some new skills, just have a fun day out riding a bike with likeminded people. Probably won't be this year but next year that might be on the cards. I'll have to look into it more closely.

thanks,

You don't even have to buy your own bike.

Nothing to stop a couple of you sharing the same bike for an event. So get friendly with someone from your local club, and give it a go!

It was a very good day! :thumb
There are some more photos in my camera, but I haven't checked how good they are yet. Hannah (Denise's 9yr old) was using it so not sure.
Tim's off was indeed spectacular, a looping, wheelied lob to the right, with the Mont landing horizontally from about 6ft up!
Denise completed 21 sections, including her first ever "clean", but managed to get a footpeg between her kneepad and top of her boots, which stung somewhat. Trying to favour that leg meant she dropped onto it twice more before calling it a day. I think they gave her 5's for the rest as she had passed the halfway point.
I managed a spectacular loop on section 10, an easy looking climb. Got a little off line, a little too much gas, touched the rear brake to lower the front and dabbed to the left. Only there was no ground there! :eek Thankfully only pride was dented, but I had just told an apprehensive Denise that it would be easy. :blast Otherwise I was very pleased with my day's ride.
For anyone asking about costs, my 2004 250 Beta was £1200, Denise's 2005 125 Sherco was £850, both from ebay.
Mark

I'd not be looking to do more than compete and learn some new skills, just have a fun day out riding a bike with likeminded people. Probably won't be this year but next year that might be on the cards. I'll have to look into it more closely.

thanks,

If you are anywhere near Kent/Sussex or Surrey you're more than welcome to come down sometime, have a look, chat and a quick spin on my bike.....

:)

Jon

Oh, oh, oh..... Can I have a go on your 4rt please?

:eek:

Those things look so grunty......

:)

Jon

They are:green gri

RightEngineClose.jpg

Well after deleting a few shots of the ground, and a lot of shots of the two dogs, here's what's left! :D

Denise lining up her drop into the stream on the first section of the day, me on "minder" duties.

1180335594_mM3NU-M.jpg

Having got through for a 3, the smile says it all. Bit slippery underfoot though!

1180335629_E8UYJ-M.jpg

Tim on his run, clean I believe.

1180335664_EMJsW-M.jpg

Smiling now, but a couple of minutes later things went a bit "Pete Tong".

1180335704_jmuhY-M.jpg

Denise, watching the second section.

1180335736_KGU9h-M.jpg

Me about to hit a root step, in said second section.

1180335765_ghVEc-M.jpg

Right, two bikes and two lots of kit to clean. :blast
Mark

Last edited:

I had a good (and dry) Trial, today @ Barnsley - all modern and some tricky sections..........my results are improving, I reckon I dropped 45-48 on the Intermediate route

Getting better..................last Sunday's Trial results are out

I rode the Intermediate route, as an Over40

Max possible loss - 160

I did a bit better than expected & only dropped 42 (and only 2 - 5's, this time)

I managed 30th out of 48 riders on our Inter route and 16th out of 24 riders on the Over40 class

Pleased with that:thumb

Pushing for a Top 10 finish now, in the coming year...............it's gonna tough getting back to the form I was in 25 years ago, so may settle for being a good Clubman now

Good result for an old duffer :D

I was happy just to finish, I guess as time goes on I'll be pushing for better results each time though:)

thanks,

There's even a club local to you - http://www.hux.org.uk/ Been wanting to go take a look for some time, so if you fancy a trip down there, give me a shout :thumb

Some more photos taken by the Club photographer of last sunday's event:)

Mark/Earthmover...posing
1182428326_7gmhi-O.jpg

Denise:thumb
1182428430_G4yHT-O.jpg

On a difficult climb with Mark looking on and Ange in the background with her red hat on taking a photo:)
1182428941_XtU37-O.jpg

Denise getting a bit wet:D
1182430025_AEX27-O.jpg

Yours truely on the borrowed Suzuki
1182430391_NdHMr-O.jpg

Someone getting wet:blast
1182428591_iqKew-O.jpg

Cool guy
1182430269_LtBfj-O.jpg

1182429845_2dC6t-O.jpg

Russ Jones, the man behind Aqueduct Classics:clap
1182429949_WapJg-O.jpg

Ooooofff!:blast
1182429520_BYgyR-O.jpg

:comfort
1182429131_FsnwG-O.jpg

1182429364_RauJF-O.jpg

1182430562_8vM7c-O.jpg

1182429448_cktwG-O.jpg

Have to say, my GS has become a boring bike to ride these days by comparison:blast
1182428501_AY82V-O.jpg

Great pics.................you're looking more like a trials rider now though (just a tip - trews inside boots for trials, so they don't get caught, just like the other riders in the pics)

I don't know how Mark rides with those heavy jacket and trews though - he must be baked

I rode in just a T Shirt and trials trews last Sunday and I was still hot

Back
Top Bottom