Old men starting trial riding ? ? ?

Had a great day today......

Left home to go to Bromley and Beckenham to meet a mate for lunch and to buy some South African style Beef sausage "Boerwors",went to Morrissons about 7 miles away to fill the 1200GS only to find my wallet was at home once at the till (don't ask) they let me go off to fetch the wallet and go pay :D

While at Morrissons Lebowski called to say he was going to his lockup to polish his bike :bow they really are clean.
Would I be interested in popping down there ?
With my lunch date etc kinda messed up it took about 3 seconds to change plans and to run the 40 miles down to Whitstable to meet up with him and then pop to his secret lair.

Once there he pulled the Scorpa 250 out the garage, looking very clean and tidy, did I mention all his toys are spotless?

He started it up and did a couple of very tight figure 8's and some good stop and pauses.

Next up he offered me the bike, just to feel what a trials bike feels like under you (thats 6' and 18.5 stone or 1.83m and about 114kg) As I have never touched one let alone ride it, I allowed him to force me onto it :D:D:D

I have to say, it is a very different bike to a 1200GS with panniers and extra tat attached.

I must have spent 15-20 minutes on it and LOVED IT !!!

Took a pic to text to Nicola to see if her tune has changed from LA LA LA LA LA ! ! which is her way of saying not now dear. (well, she did not even reply) Though when I got home tonight I showed her the pics Jon had taken on my mobile, and she did ask whether a trials bike would be financed from the sale of some of the tut parked up in the garage.

Of course I agreed that she was absolutely on track there.

Freezing cold, a t-shirt and half a twat suit and me does make the bike look very small.

Am I hooked ?

In a word : YES.

IMAG1034.jpg

Lift that inside shoulder:D

You could add " straighten the legs, look forward, relax, modulate the front brake" and loads more.

Clearly like a monkey in a tree for the first time, I knew it was for climbing, but just not how best to do it yet.

I suspect there is sooooooo much tolearn, and you old guys know what to do, and can see instantly where I am cocking up from one pic.

Wax on, Wax off, wax on, wax off. :D

.... Once there he pulled the Scorpa 250 out the garage....

Cracking little 'toys' aren't thy Grizz :thumb2

I picked up Bobble's little gem on Tuesday but haven't had chance to play on it yet
1191396018_nuuWV-O.jpg

.....went out to buy some South African style Beef sausage "Boerwors",
IMAG1034.jpg

....and you ended up looking at a bike:blast:blast

Thanks for the piccie sent on't phone - was too involved to get back to you at the time (and then forgot:augie)

Looks very very nice.:thumb

That suspension looks a tad compressed or what!!!!!!

Can I have a go please mista.

Now let me think - trials bike + trailer but no tow bar:mmmm:mmmm

Lift that inside shoulder:D

Thanks for the piccie sent on't phone - was too involved to get back to you at the time (and then forgot:augie)

Looks very very nice.:thumb

That suspension looks a tad compressed or what!!!!!!

Now, now guys.....

I could have mentioned all that, but I was kinda hoping he'd buy the bike...

:augie

:)

I actually thought you did very well first time out..... wait til we get you near some mud and trees!

Rian, it was great to meet you, really enjoyed the chat.... must do it again.

There's a trial over at Paddock Wood tomorrow, if I decide to go I'll let you know.

As I said no pressure, if you want the bike, great, if not no worries. It won't be touched for at least a week, I'm in no rush to sell, so keep working on Nicola.....

:D

Jon

(If I said that picture was actually you balancing for 5 minutes, will you buy it?)

Took a pic to text to Nicola to see if her tune has changed from LA LA LA LA LA ! ! which is her way of saying not now dear. (well, she did not even reply) Though when I got home tonight I showed her the pics Jon had taken on my mobile, and she did ask whether a trials bike would be financed from the sale of some of the tut parked up in the garage.

Ange was a way last mon, tues, and wed night so our contact was mainly an evening phone call.....

Mon night: I mentioned I may go and look at this Fantic sometime :nenau:green gri, she seems cool.;)

Tues night It's in my garage:green gri and whilst busy with the solvol autosol and holding the phone in my other hand try to avoid the topic:augie

Wed night She realises I want to have this bike so says when are you going to get it (yes result:thumb)....last night I say. She laughs....phew:thumb

And 40 miles in the opposite direction

Looks very very nice.:thumb Ohhhhh and it is.

That suspension looks a tad compressed or what!!!!!! No doubt helped by my lard ass.

I could not justify this until I have a full time job with a car with a tow bar :blast

However, if you think about it, I do own a Ford Transit Van.

665298652_z6b3Y-XL.jpg

Which is currently "parked" behind all this mess. And it happens to have a towbar. :D

P1010450.jpg

Now, now guys.....

I could have mentioned all that, but I was kinda hoping he'd buy the bike...

:augie

I actually thought you did very well first time out..... wait til we get you near some mud and trees!

Rian, it was great to meet you, really enjoyed the chat.... must do it again.

There's a trial over at Paddock Wood tomorrow, if I decide to go I'll let you know.

As I said no pressure, if you want the bike, great, if not no worries. It won't be touched for at least a week, I'm in no rush to sell, so keep working on Nicola.....

:D

Jon

(If I said that picture was actually you balancing for 5 minutes, will you buy it?)

Was great just chatting bikes as well Jon, the observations you and Woodsie made may be true, and Woodsie can vouch for me, 3 months ago, I must have been at least a stone lighter.... can do it again (in the interest of a bikes performance you know )

Suspect Paddock Wood will be out today, been raining all night and today.

Got a date with Nicola this afternoon to list a load of stuff on Ebay :green gri

Ange was a way last mon, tues, and wed night so our contact was mainly an evening phone call.....

Mon night: I mentioned I may go and look at this Fantic sometime :nenau:green gri, she seems cool.;)

Tues night It's in my garage:green gri and whilst busy with the solvol autosol and holding the phone in my other hand try to avoid the topic:augie

Wed night She realises I want to have this bike so says when are you going to get it (yes result:thumb)....last night I say. She laughs....phew:thumb

Always easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission :D

Maybe sunday near Trevor?
We can use the course I rode last week for £3 I may be there tomorrow with Earthmover and Ange.
In the middle of refitting the kitchen for Lu..... it's going to be mid March before I get any 'time off' to play :blast

Right, here is tonights question.

I was going to PM a couple of you guys to ask, but thought mixed views and opinions are better.

What helmets would you recommend ?

I see Shoei do a £335 helmet, but some brands come down to around £50-ish and even the current Dougie Lampkin rep is under £100.

Please advise.

I was going to PM a couple of you guys to ask, but thought mixed views and opinions are better.

I see Shoei do a £335 helmet, but some brands come down to around £50-ish and even the current Dougie Lampkin rep is under £100.

Please advise.

This is not advice as such but I'm in a similar position to yourself.
I've just bought my first ever trial bike and am at the moment helmetless, so to speak.
I'm off to the shop early next week to buy a helmet and I'm going the cheap route.
Not bothered what make but expecting to spend around £50.

Please advise.

You don't need anything fancy, a Nau/Hebo or Airoh for sub £100 will be fine

After all it's only use is to stop you bashing your head on low branches, nothing else

My Hebo's very comfy and seems to do the job at around £80....I won't post any photos of it:augie

Whatever you do, haggle.
I just got a Spada priced at £55 for me and a Jitsie priced at £87 for her.
They wanted 45 for mine and 75 for hers. I offered £100 the pair, and walked out a happy customer.:)

There's a lot of stock sat on shelves at the moment....

Rian, get yerself down to Inta's in Maidstone and try some on there. They don't have a great stock, but should have some Spada, Hebo and maybe Airoh you could try.

A removeable lining is always handy, but more important is fit and lightness. I should be around next week if you'd like some company and 'does my bum look big in this' advice.....

:comfort

I use a Nau (around £70) but would love a Hebo carbon, if only I could find one!

Jon

Back
Top Bottom