Meteora, Greece

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Riding down to Turkey in September and spotted this area when looking at routes/ accommodation, it’s called Meteroa. Its about 110 miles from the ferry port of Igoumenitsa in Greece. Looks like a place to visit. Any one been? Info on camping, cheap hotels etc.
Thanks

Attachments

• monastries-in-the-mist.jpg
    monastries-in-the-mist.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 331
  • monastery-at-meteora.jpg
    monastery-at-meteora.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 354
Ted

Need to speak to you soon before you go.

Steve 73 was talking about this place I think last week when I saw him.

I am off to Turkey end of May on a 3 week trip, will be passing here.

Want to discuss travel and I know where you live, well at least the village. Could see you at the Golden Pheasant ??

:rob

Lots of accomodation including backpacker down below in the village area - some good eating to be had as well. Can't think that bookings are necessary in May as you are well clear of Easter

We were there in Febuary a few years back, loads of places to stay, as Kritou said, manic at Easter, but fairly quiet the rest of the time. We stayed in a huge hotel, must have had 1,000 rooms, and only us and another couple there.
Spectacular place, had a tour round one of the monasterys, where the monks used to be lifted to the top in big baskets at the end of a rope. We asked when they changed the rope?, After it broke, was the reply.

Need to speak to you soon before you go.

Steve 73 was talking about this place I think last week when I saw him.

I am off to Turkey end of May on a 3 week trip, will be passing here.

Want to discuss travel and I know where you live, well at least the village. Could see you at the Golden Pheasant ??

:rob

Are you going to the Windmill at the end of the month 22nd? could see you there. If not can meet at the Pheasant one evening, would have to be a Friday or weekend though.:thumb2

you might want to check out the Vikos gorge en route :thumb

800px-Vikos-gorge.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikos-Aoos_National_Park

and I snapped this photo of it from the air

4798130617_64291213ee_z.jpg

There is a lot to discover in Southern Albania, Northern Greece and FYROM.

Best check for a camping site, lots of them around the place and especially when you are visiting the place the temperatures will be more than comfy!
Meteora is a unique place (as well the rest of the area especially above) it's located in Central - North Greece, and I would recommend if you have the time to visit Valia Kalda (check my photography link) it's one of the National Parks in Greece, forests, rivers, gorges combine into a unique experience, usually they are really quite and you can easily find locations for to camp for a night, if you would prefer more nights pm to guide you to a road accessible hikers refugee where you can either camp or stay inside.

head into town then go uphill- nicer campsites there.
Check out lovely old town of Metsovo on the way- You drop down steep hill to it .
Along from there is the Katara Pass- beautiful roads
Great camping at Kastraki

Greece is the new morocco-:thumb2 way better trails/varied terrain, better weather, better food, and the list is long!

Ted

Sorry about last month -

Will you be at meet next week?
If so, I will come and find you, will arrive about 8:30 ish.

Malc

Back
Top Bottom