Radar detectors

the AA says the same for switzerland but it is incorrect, the law here is clear... if the gps has the database and you are caught you will in some do-do :rob

does not make any difference if it is disabled or not.

would not rely on the AA info.

it appears i have cocked up the link in my earlier post above....... remove everything before www.

I must admit there are few holes in their info. For some EU states it says the driver must have a hi vis vest. I can't remember if it is France, Austria or both that actually say all occupants in the car need to be wearing hi vis if they are outside the vehicle.

Just wondering what i should do when traversing Switzerland (which I do several times a year) - take the gps off an put it in the tank bag?

What about cars which have the data in their gps? Can hardly rip out the gps just to cross CH:nenau

I've just come across this thread and it definitely is a point of concern.

I've just ordered a Zumo660 and will be fitting it this week. Planning a trip over Easter which will likely include parts of Germany and Switzerland (exact route not decided).

My 'Europe wide' GPS was bought to make this sort of trip easier so it's a bit of a nonsense if it turns out to be illegal to use in some countries. :mad:

I haven't used the Zumo660 yet so can someone tell me - does this have speed camera locations by default and if so, should I remove it for some countries?

Seems crazy if can't use my European GPS in some of Europe! :confused:

I drove through swiss 5 round trips into italy last year with my 660, I wouldnt be too concerned with it, you would have to do something silly to attract attention to your self to get done for it.
If you get to italy watchout for big blue box with gatso inside they can be tricky to spot in traffic on the side of roadworks.:(

I've just come across this thread and it definitely is a point of concern.

I've just ordered a Zumo660 and will be fitting it this week. Planning a trip over Easter which will likely include parts of Germany and Switzerland (exact route not decided).

My 'Europe wide' GPS was bought to make this sort of trip easier so it's a bit of a nonsense if it turns out to be illegal to use in some countries. :mad:

I haven't used the Zumo660 yet so can someone tell me - does this have speed camera locations by default and if so, should I remove it for some countries?

Seems crazy if can't use my European GPS in some of Europe! :confused:

This reply is obviously too late for your trip, but may be of use to others.

I have a Zumo 660. There are no Speed Camera Databases included as far as I am aware, though you can buy a subscription for these from Garmin and a host of other companies.

See my post #18 for clarification on the use of Speed Camera Databases:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272112

There is nothing illegal though about Garmin's cartographic data on speed limits, which is standard on the Zumo 660, etc. However, I used it extensively in Norway end August-early September 2011 and found that the speed data was hopelessly out of date and on some roads, the Zumo didn't even show a speed limit. The maps were reasonably up to date, but I understand Norway changed a lot of speed limits from 90 down to 80 km/h this year and of course there was a stack of road reconstruction under way, so lower speed limits naturally applied there.

Speed Camera databases are not allowed to be installed on the GPS in Switzerland. They can be installed but must be deactivated via the POI in Germany and I think in Rep of Ireland also.

Grey Beard

Back
Top Bottom