Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wapping's Wanders - Ardennes - 29/4-2/5

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruderwithin View Post
    Hi myself and 2 others will also being going down the same day (think the 09h00 crossing) and staying in the same town until monday. What route are you taking?

Here are our "alternative" routes to Bouillon, our first leg is of course on the Thursday afternoon to St Omer.

Happy to share our day trips should Richard want to have a look ( one is his to Clervaux anyway )

Lloyd
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LBL

Life's too short.

Show us what you got, Mister

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Show us what you got, Mister
    Richard,

Plan was to do this route one day lunching in Verdun.

And a day to Clervaux the other, of course not the route where we circle the town 5 times our second attempt with your twisty bit you added on the way back missing out Arlon

As it seems there is quite a lot of bods with you Richard, i am happy to help out if you wish to do it in two groups

main problem methinks will be where are we all going to eat at night, bagsy not the kebeb shop over the river
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LBL

Life's too short.

Was it only five? It felt like more

You have put a lot of waypoints in your route, Lloyd, me old fruit. I hate them as they clog up the Favourites. My tip: Use the route tool instead.

The day out at Verdun looks good

I haven't decided what days out to suggest yet. I may well put together several, not least as I have two or three days off next week to see the aged P in Provence, who has had a new knee. Going down via Eurostar luxury; none of that silly motorcycling nonsense for me.

===================

How many in your circus troop?

Let the train take the strain.

The waypoints must have been of all the routes i put together

Dont know how to put a route together using the route tool however i will try and investigate, perhaps you can advise when i see you next
    LBL

Life's too short.

Tis easy.

In Mapsource, instead of clicking on the little flag (the waypoint tool) click on the button with what looks like three cannonballs joined by straight lines (the route tool).

Wapping's Wanderers' possible outwards routes

Some assorted alternative routes to get there, all hosted on the excellent Dropbox site.

(A) & (B) go together, (B) and (C), (D) and (E)

The mileages are all between 210 and 250 but the times taken vary quite considerably. This is inevitable if you chuck in more country type roads at the expense of motorway sections. They are all doable and avoid to many tortuous small roads.

I will probably knock some others up, too. As to which I might suggest we use? A lot may depend on the weather on the day and punters' appetite for time taken, I guess? I have no problem if some want to go one way and others another.

It would be easy enough to reverse any of the three routes for a return journey. If anyone wants to reverse a route (using the 'invert route' method in Mapsource) do take a bit of care or you will find yourself coming back down a motorway to a petrol station on the other carriageway, no doubt roundly cursing Garmin. Similarly, as they all start at the Chunnel exit, you will end up there, too...... after a tortuous detour into another petrol station making your day complete!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Chu...20Bouillon.gdb

I will knock up some routecards as well.

Tis easy.

In Mapsource, instead of clicking on the little flag (the waypoint tool) click on the button with what looks like three cannonballs joined by straight lines (the route tool).
    Thanks Richard i will give it a go later
    LBL

Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by robroy View Post
    I'm booked at Premier Inn, Eureka Park Ashford for the 28th. No Twin rooms showing on the website, only doubles for £39.

There are at least three of us meeting for dinner that night - the more the merrier
    Sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Hey Pressman, where are you from?

I live in Kortrijk and have been thinking to doing just that!

Will you guys use that hotel as a base of operations to make daily trips?

Hey Splat ,

I forgot i had posted on this thread , I'm in kortrijk as well but i have to work that weekend so won't be able to get down . Maybe some other time .

Guys ,

You should make sure you do the Rue de molignee near dinant if you are up that way , enjoy the trip .

Tis easy.

Blimey Richard how much easier is that to plan a route through the twisties, in the memory bank

Lloyd
    LBL

Life's too short.

Was it only five? It felt like more
    I am sure it was not that many but the track log is a mess!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BSA A7 SS 1961
    BMW K75 1991
    BMW R1200 GSA WC 2016

Cruel, cruel, but the evidence is damning

Cruel, cruel, but the evidence is damning
    I still remember Mr Maslen and I happily following our two intrepid leaders round and around, the locals must have thought we were mad.........they were right

I now base all my routes on that system
    LBL

Life's too short.

Wapping's Wanders

The cast list has grown by one.

We have gained an extra bod, which is good as it fills the one spare bed I had been holding. The Johnny-Come-Lately is a friend of ChasMill's and mine, Richard Fothergill.

Dramatis personae now reads:

Wapping
    ChasMill (and Rory)
    Richard Fothergill
    Phil Reader
    Mr & Mrs Dxtans
    Robroy
    NeilDD
    North London Cookie
    Wandering Star

Nine bikes and 11 bodies

=======

This is now a largish gaggle of bikes, so it is inevitable that we will at some point get divided by a mile or more on the journey. We WILL run the marker drop-off system, which I will run through again on the train.

I will do some more work on days out whilst we are in Bouillon and try to create a list of possible alternative things to see and / or do for anyone who might want to do their own thing whilst we are there. I will also create our possible return routes.

Richard

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'll do sweeper duties if you want?
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast