Wapping's Wanders - Ardennes - 29/4-2/5

Final roll call

Wapping
ChasMill (and Rory) - Meeting us at the hotel as he is in Ber....mu....der at the moment
Richard Fothergill
Phil Reader
Mr & Mrs Dxtans
Robroy
NeilDD
North London Cookie (with or without GPS)
Wandering Star
and TingTong (who I think is coming with us but maybe going with the other crew :nenau)

====

Full tank of fuel (including you, Tom :D)

Rendez-vous at the train (or having a coffee before) and gather up at the first fuel station as we leave the train, please.

We will run the drop-off marker system, in the vague hope of keeping us all roughly together.

Any problems, text me please. If anyone has a real problem making the train, due to say a puncture (it happens) we can work out what to do / where to meet. I will PM everyone my mobile no. but I guess most of you have it already.

Bon route :thumb2

Richard

Makes me want to go......I do love a good tour with like minded.
:beerjug: Bon Voyage.....

Wapping
ChasMill (and Rory) - Meeting us at the hotel as he is in Ber....mu....der at the moment
Richard Fothergill
Phil Reader
Mr & Mrs Dxtans
Robroy
NeilDD
North London Cookie (with or without GPS)
Wandering Star
and TingTong (who I think is coming with us but maybe going with the other crew :nenau)

All were present and correct by dinner time last tonight with LBL, WorthingWelsh and myself. Nice to put somefaces to names.

The less said about Tom's pace the better!

I hope they all enjoy themselves. The weather in Bouillon was fantastic when I left this morning, :thumb2

The only bod stopped by the police was Ting Tong, probably for crimes against motorcycling :D

That being said, full marks to Tom for buying a bike minutes before going :thumb2 :beerjug:

Thanks to all for coming along and to Lloyd for putting together a good route down to Verdun.

The only bod stopped by the police was Ting Tong, probably for crimes against motorcycling :D

That being said, full marks to Tom for buying a bike minutes before going :thumb2 :beerjug:

Do tell.........................don't leave us in suspenders:D

Did the cycling shorts do it for him:rolleyes:

Allegedly he's coming to Garmisch on that steed...................or maybe not now:augie

Do tell.........................don't leave us in suspenders:D

Did the cycling shorts do it for him:rolleyes:

Allegedly he's coming to Garmisch on that steed...................or maybe not now:augie

I was ensuring world peace with some of my international relations skills! :rob

I was also showing them how a KTM should be ridden :D

The rather imposing memorial is at Bastogne The Americans defended the town during the Battle of the Bulge - 79,000 dead, wounded or missing.

The shiny plaque with the reflection of R T Osser is a memorial to "Easy Company" of the 101st Airborne - made famous in the "Band of Brothers".

The photos in the woods are of the actual foxholes used by Easy Company (and others) during the winter of 1944. The temperature at night dropped to -23 degrees....

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend, and especially Wapping for organizing such a great trip. Weather was fantastic, scenery superb, company scintillating and the routes were spot on. :thumb

Now waiting for my "Wapping's Wanders" sticker with two stars.

Had a great trip thanks to Richard for organising it, good group mixture
as well, plenty of laughs and excitement. Also thanks to Phil on his knowledge of roads.
Mrs (Pauline) dxtans did not feel out of place as the only female on the trip, she enjoyed the banter and meeting Tom again...hmm

Hotel choice and location was a very pleasant experience. We hope to go there again during the summer.

Great lunch and ride out to Luxembourg, and the 'battle of the bulge' memorial.

Richard and Phil took us to the ring, what a blast, on the bike with panniers and Pauline on the back, scary initially but as confidence grew.. so did the riding, ( we managed to overtake 2 bikes and a car !). The ride to the ring and back were some of the best roads/lanes we have ridden for a long time.

The only downside to the trip was my fuel gauge went into split brain mode on the way back, it's in for the fix..again next week at bmw.

Will post some pics up...shorty

Thanks
Dxtans

Pauline made a great job of being an honorary bloke for the duration, great that she enjoyed it.

The hotel and it's location lends itself to the region and a reasonably straightforward run there and back. Similarly, there is enough to do for a few days.

I will definitely re-do the jaunt in 2012, maybe adding a day so that folk can go to Luxembourg city and / or see the battle of the Bulge / WW1 sites, as well as ride some great roads.

Enjoy the summer :thumb2

Thanks for a great trip Richard, good roads, nice company and loads of Laughs thrown in...

Good to meet you all (inc Ting tong Tom), hope I didnt upset anyone but if I did Tough :D:D:D

Phil

Here come the pics....

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0065-1.jpg

DSCF0058-1.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Thanks Wapping