Wapping's Wanders - Ardennes - 29/4-2/5

Back on track....

I had a cry off this morning. No worries as people's circumstances and plans change.

A mate of mine, Phil Reader (safe breaker and a very good rider) from Sarf'end will be joining us. So, we are back to a full house.

Phil was due to be away with his significant other, Elke, but she (or he) has been given the elbow (that's how life is, sometimes); pity as Elke was a nice lady (if a bit German :augie) :D So, he's now coming with us instead.

Updated list of runners and riders:

Wapping
ChasMill (and son, Rory)
Mr & Mrs Dxtans
NeilDD
North London Cookie
Wandering Star
Robroy
Phil Reader

The observant amongst you will have noticed that I have done naff all about routes etc. Yup, hands up to that one. I will get on the case now that my trial run to France is out of the way.

Richard

Travelodge was £56 when I went to book:(. Bast@rds.

So will make a booking at the Premier Inn next door.

Robroy and NeilDD perhaps we can meet somewhere "leisure park" later on. First dibs on the £2 airplane ride usually in front of the Tesco.

Hi NLC

I was going to book at the Premier Inn as well.

Happy to share a twin (not double) if you like to cut the cost. Let me know so if necessary I can book before the price goes up there as well :)

Rob

There's a Pizaslut and a F&B in walking distance

if we PM each other our mobile numbers we can give each other a shout when were all settled in

Neil

Hi myself and 2 others will also being going down the same day (think the 09h00 crossing) and staying in the same town until monday. What route are you taking?:rolleyes:

I'm booked at Premier Inn, Eureka Park Ashford for the 28th. No Twin rooms showing on the website, only doubles for £39.

There are at least three of us meeting for dinner that night - the more the merrier :)

Hi myself and 2 others will also being going down the same day (think the 09h00 crossing) and staying in the same town until monday. What route are you taking?:rolleyes:

:hide

Here are our "alternative" :D routes to Bouillon, our first leg is of course on the Thursday afternoon to St Omer.

Happy to share our day trips should Richard want to have a look ( one is his to Clervaux anyway )

Lloyd

Attachments

• April trip (2).gdb
    88 KB · Views: 142
  • 1st leg.gdb
    115.3 KB · Views: 136
Show us what you got, Mister :thumb2

Richard,

Plan was to do this route one day lunching in Verdun.

And a day to Clervaux the other, of course not the route where we circle the town 5 times :D our second attempt with your twisty bit you added on the way back missing out Arlon :thumb2

As it seems there is quite a lot of bods with you Richard, i am happy to help out if you wish to do it in two groups :thumb2

main problem methinks will be where are we all going to eat at night, bagsy not the kebeb shop over the river :blast

Attachments

• verdun day out.gdb
    125.5 KB · Views: 154
Was it only five? :D It felt like more :D

You have put a lot of waypoints in your route, Lloyd, me old fruit. I hate them as they clog up the Favourites. My tip: Use the route tool instead.

The day out at Verdun looks good :thumb2

I haven't decided what days out to suggest yet. I may well put together several, not least as I have two or three days off next week to see the aged P in Provence, who has had a new knee. Going down via Eurostar luxury; none of that silly motorcycling nonsense for me.

s3815.gif

===================

How many in your circus troop?

spacer.gif

Let the train take the strain. :thumb2

The waypoints must have been of all the routes i put together :blast

Dont know how to put a route together using the route tool however i will try and investigate, perhaps you can advise when i see you next :thumb2

Tis easy.

In Mapsource, instead of clicking on the little flag (the waypoint tool) click on the button with what looks like three cannonballs joined by straight lines (the route tool).

Wapping's Wanderers' possible outwards routes

Some assorted alternative routes to get there, all hosted on the excellent Dropbox site.

(A) & (B) go together, (B) and (C), (D) and (E)

The mileages are all between 210 and 250 but the times taken vary quite considerably. This is inevitable if you chuck in more country type roads at the expense of motorway sections. They are all doable and avoid to many tortuous small roads.

I will probably knock some others up, too. As to which I might suggest we use? A lot may depend on the weather on the day and punters' appetite for time taken, I guess? I have no problem if some want to go one way and others another.

It would be easy enough to reverse any of the three routes for a return journey. If anyone wants to reverse a route (using the 'invert route' method in Mapsource) do take a bit of care or you will find yourself coming back down a motorway to a petrol station on the other carriageway, no doubt roundly cursing Garmin. :blast Similarly, as they all start at the Chunnel exit, you will end up there, too...... after a tortuous detour into another petrol station :D making your day complete!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Chunnel to Bouillon.gdb

I will knock up some routecards as well.

Tis easy.

In Mapsource, instead of clicking on the little flag (the waypoint tool) click on the button with what looks like three cannonballs joined by straight lines (the route tool).

Thanks Richard i will give it a go later :thumb2

I'm booked at Premier Inn, Eureka Park Ashford for the 28th. No Twin rooms showing on the website, only doubles for £39.

There are at least three of us meeting for dinner that night - the more the merrier :)

Sounds cool. :thumb

Hey Pressman, where are you from?

I live in Kortrijk and have been thinking to doing just that!

Will you guys use that hotel as a base of operations to make daily trips?

Hey Splat ,

I forgot i had posted on this thread , I'm in kortrijk as well but i have to work that weekend so won't be able to get down . Maybe some other time .

Guys ,

You should make sure you do the Rue de molignee near dinant if you are up that way , enjoy the trip .

Tis easy.

:blast Blimey Richard how much easier is that to plan a route through the twisties, in the memory bank :thumb2

Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom