Fancy an XT900Z Tenere?

LOLGEOFF

The Name's Lol, Not Geoff.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If the 660's too small or the 1200 too big how about a 900?

Gets interesting about 1min 30 sec in.

Looks good if it goes into production.

Brought to my attention on XT660.com

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TPIGGOv4Yd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks good, but only if they can price it at about £8K but knowing Yamaha it'll probably be about £10K+

having covered 20k miles in 8 months on a 660 tenere, I'd be interested if the 900 came out and wasn't silly money.

It doesn't tell us much about what is planned.

I'd expect a twin but V or parallel? Maybe they've produced a balanced mega-single. Maybe it isn't an archaic reciprocating engine at all but some special clever new device. Maybe it's an adventure engine for the 21st century, diesel.:augie

Still, why bother, it has a chain so I'm not interested. I can't be bothered to clean a bike let alone mess about cleaning and lubricating exposed chains.

I only want to ride it. And mines in bits still :tears:tears:tears

Why not buy an XTZ750 and chuck a TDM900 engine in it? I would imagine it would be fairly easy to do as they are essentially the same engine, are they not?

That early footage is of the early 90`s XTZ660 3YF model. I have got one of those!

Why not buy an XTZ750 and chuck a TDM900 engine in it? I would imagine it would be fairly easy to do as they are essentially the same engine, are they not?

done a lot actually. and lot replace a 750 eng if runs anyway rought with the 850 engine

It doesn't tell us much about what is planned.

Nothing is planned!

This isn't an official Yamaha video it's the same as the many various videos people made about the 1200 and how it might look before it was released. Nothing but some bloke's imagination.

Builder

Hi, I made this concept. It is nice, that even GS owners appreciate my Tenere Concepts. Hopefully there will be more serious big enduro bikes on the market. Thill then, I'll keep on dreaming :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g1abnuD384M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My 660 tenere has been absolutely faultless, perfect finish, solidly built and i would swap for a 900 tomorrow based on my experience.

The chain gets squirt greased every 2 weeks and adjusted about 4-5 weeks if that.

no problem with the OE chain here :thumb

excellent videos. I saw a concept rally bike at the motorcycle show based on the 1200 which was really nice but they are starting to get a little heavy (far too heavy actually) when they get that big and that 900 size looks perfect:clap:clap

Nice bit of work:thumb2

Attachments

• Super ten adventure.jpg
    Super ten adventure.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,398

The TRX engine goes in as a straight swap, apparently, but whilst the 900TDM engine physically fits, it has a different electrical set-up so it's a more complex job.

However, the TDM engine has a 6 speed box - the standard XTZ750 is much criticised for its lack of a decent high ratio - so if you can overcome the electrickery, the outcome works on a number of levels.

And I agree, that would be a really interesting bike.

There was a decent article on this in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics 2-3 months ago. :thumb2

Paul G

Looks like this COULD be a runner...anyone notice this at Intermot this week ?

Its a n R1 crossplane engine with a cylinder chopped off.

But may be just more of a road bike ?

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/news/index.aspx?id=513654

This new concept model represents an important and significant development with regard to Yamaha's plans for the company's future direction in the motorcycle marketplace. The crossplane concept behind the success of the YZR-M1 and YZF-R1 has inspired the design of an all-new 3-cylinder engine which is destined to play an important role in Yamaha's future. Yamaha firmly believe that this new engine concept will open up new horizons in riding enjoyment.
The crossplane concept has shaped the character and enhanced the rideability of the YZR-M1 and YZF-R1, and has played a major part in their respective success on the track and street. These motorcycles have become famous for their linear driving power which is a direct result of the 'clean' torque output created by the elimination of inertial torque to nearly zero. And it is this crossplane concept of eliminating the unwanted inertial torque to create clean torque that forms the basis of the new 3-cylinder Yamaha engine.

In the company's never-ending search for new challenges, and inspired by the sweet character of the crossplane concept featured on the M1 and R1 engines, Yamaha have developed an all-new 3-cylinder engine. By investing in this new layout, Yamaha have created a new-generation powerplant that brings with it a whole new world of possibilities.

This light, slim and compact new 3-cylinder engine is designed to add a new dimension to its category in terms of torque, sound and efficiency. By successfully combining the positive characteristics of 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines, Yamaha's 3-cylinder powerplant has the potential to bring race-inspired performance to the street.

14831_normal.jpg

XT900Z ? Count me in! I have no idea why Yamaha haven't filled this glaring gap in the XT range before now.
We would have a brilliant lightweight go anywhere bike that would knock the socks of the opposition.
I love my 660 but would go for a 900 in the same chassis. Perfect!!

Looks a nice bike but another manufacturer jumping on the "modern mid sized " bandwagon obviously people want more power than a 600 can offer but not the physical size and weight of the 1200's

Back
Top Bottom