Wapping's wanders - One day jaunt for beginners - Calais - 16 April

What a great day! Good weather,good company,good roads and good chips at 'Chez Willy' :ymca

Hope all got home ok, William really enjoyed it and slept until 10am this morning.

Cheers Richard and Chas, look forward to the next one :thumb2

great day

Exactly what Wilburt said - great day, great company, great roads
thanks to Wapping & Chasmil

if i figure out how to make photies small in size i will put some up.

A good day out, I thought :thumb2

Thank you to everyone who came along and a special thank you to my tail gunner, ChasMill.

The 'reverse' route made a change, for me at least. I will do it again sometime, not least as it lends itself to a straightforward day out on a good mixture of reasonably interesting roads. It is what I think makes it good for anyone who hasn't ridden that much (though many of my punters have) and / or anyone who just wants a day out.

I am more than happy to make it a two-day affair, too, just as I have done in the past.

I am conscious that the early start can make it tricky for those outside of the SE corner of England to come along, too. The only alternative is:

B&B near the train in the UK?

For us / some to get a train at perhaps 19:00 on Friday night, staying in northern France?

The trouble is the damned hour we lose crossing the water. 19:00 = 20:00 Frog time. 40 minutes on the train and 10 to get off = about an hour by the time everyone is rolling. 21:00. Forty minutes to get anywhere half decent = +/- ten pm = most restaurants shut.

Cheers,

Richard

I echo the previous posts from Wilbert and Jed, great day, thanks to Richard for organizing it, thanks to Chas for being the sweeper.

Pity mrs dxtans could not make it, clearly at this time, buying a pair of shoes is more enjoyable than a rideout in France, apparently....

thansk
dxtans

A good day out, I thought :thumb2

Thank you to everyone who came along and a special thank you to my tail gunner, ChasMill.

The 'reverse' route made a change, for me at least. I will do it again sometime, not least as it lends itself to a straightforward day out on a good mixture of reasonably interesting roads. It is what I think makes it good for anyone who hasn't ridden that much (though many of my punters have) and / or anyone who just wants a day out.

I am more than happy to make it a two-day affair, too, just as I have done in the past.

I am conscious that the early start can make it tricky for those outside of the SE corner of England to come along, too. The only alternative is:

B&B near the train in the UK?

For us / some to get a train at perhaps 19:00 on Friday night, staying in northern France?

The trouble is the damned hour we lose crossing the water. 19:00 = 20:00 Frog time. 40 minutes on the train and 10 to get off = about an hour by the time everyone is rolling. 21:00. Forty minutes to get anywhere half decent = +/- ten pm = most restaurants shut.

Cheers,

Richard

You could always camp in my garden the night before. Or fight over the marital bed. :D

(Seriously, it's an option for anyone who wants to ge there a day early, is on a budget, and doesn't mind the spare room, the garden or the living room floor. :thumb2 )

Back
Top Bottom