Wapping's wanders - One day jaunt for beginners - Calais - 16 April

Wapping

Reaction score
This jaunt is on.

16 April

Definitely aimed for beginners or any one that is not used to riding across the water.

It will be the third that I have run, with bods being polite enough (or, more likely, bribed enough) to say that the others were enjoyable.

What will you get:

A relaxed ride around the highways and byways of the Pas de Calais.

No off-road sections; nothing you could not do on a FireBlade, a GS or a pushbike.

Full route plan / GPS directions.

Roughly 170 miles, broken into three stages. No individual stage longer than two hours.

Two coffee and one lunch stop. We usually take a pack lunch.

Definitely suitable for pillions of all ages.

LIMITED TO SIX BIKES IN ALL

Train out at 07:42

Train back 18:20 (In all probability we will make it back for an earlier train but this gives us a bit of flexibility)

I have booked my ticket.

Richard

Arrrggg - was waiting for this one. :(

Already booked long weekend in Edinburgh for wedding anniversary

Is this a ruse, a bunch of blow uo GS's and the actual crossing is over to Normandy

:ronno

I have done this trip before and can highly recommend it (no bribe, although cash is welcome :augie ) :thumb2

As numbers are limited, and I'm not a beginner, I'll hold for now and leave plenty of opportunity for genuine beginners to grab a place. If it looks like a spot might be available nearer the time I'll sneak in then :green gri .

Punters update:

Wapping
Jed (subject to a bit of sorting out, place reserved)
Buz (from an earlier thread)
Mr&Mrs dxtans

Another recommendation here :thumb2

Would like to come along for the day out but will defer to Monsieur Wapping as not a beginner. Happy to tail end Charlie if vacancy.

Helmet

Just tried to book the train for the day trip and "all" the day slots are gone, can you believe it !.
Only ones left are the short stay @ £21 each way.

I'll keep trying over the next few days to see if a slot comes up

dxtans

I've just booked - the £21 fare was for 6am ish, for the trains Wapping stated it's £25 e/w = £50.

I'm all confirmed - don't know who is more excited me or Emmanuel - it's his 14th birthday on the 16th. :thumb2

Is there any other kids going ? Doesn't really matter as he's pretty mature.

Also I'm a french speaker if that helps :clap

I quite fancy this too because I've never ridden around this area but like Bakerlonglegs, I'm not really a beginner either so will let others have a chance first.

I can highly reccomend Mr Wappings tours!

I've just booked - the £21 fare was for 6am ish, for the trains Wapping stated it's £25 e/w = £50.

I'm all confirmed - don't know who is more excited me or Emmanuel - it's his 14th birthday on the 16th. :thumb2

Is there any other kids going ? Doesn't really matter as he's pretty mature.

Also I'm a french speaker if that helps :clap

I'm happy to ride sweeper if you want and could also bring Rory (12) along again, if I have purchased him new kit by then?

Updated punters

Wapping

ChasMill (my regular sweeper) - Not sure if Rory, his son, is coming too.

Jed (and son as pillion)

Wilburt (and son as pillion)

Mr&Mrs dxtans

Purplerobbie (subject to confirmation)

=====

Any more 'first timers' out there?

I will take one more bike, total seven, but that has got to be it.

Richard

Bump de hump, hump de bump

Having gone back to riding sports bikes, Purplerobbie has cried off.

So, two spare places up for grabs still.

Cheers,

Richard

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OM9uMJWtNww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FINAL ROLL CALL

Wapping
ChasMill (with son, Rory, I hope)
Jed
Mr & Mrs Dxtans
Wilburt (and son)

Five bikes - eight bodies

I will PM you all later on.

Cheers,

Richard

My boy

Hi Richard,

Don't forget i'm taking my boy Emmanuel (it's his birthday that day) so that makes 9 bodies.

rgds
Jed

Hi Richard,

Don't forget i'm taking my boy Emmanuel (it's his birthday that day) so that makes 9 bodies.

rgds
Jed

Ooooops. Quite right :thumb2

FINAL ROLL CALL

Wapping

ChasMill (with son, Rory, I hope)

Jed (with son, Emmanuel)

Mr & Mrs Dxtans

Wilburt (and son)

Five bikes - nine bodies

This evening I have done some work reversing the route and tidying some bits up, ahead of my trial run. Looks OK (I hope).

Back
Top Bottom