Too much bike?

Gaz

Reaction score
It's coming down to a Sherco 290 vs a Beta Rev 3 250.

We've laughed in the past at novice green laners turning up on a 525 KTM, is getting the Sherco similarly a bit over the top for a beginner?
I know the throttle works both ways but it's the breadth of the power band and severity of it that may be an issue. Or not.
I've had a go on Robbie's Gas Gas 310 and that is mental, it feels like it would back flip on the spot.

It's coming down to a Sherco 290 vs a Beta Rev 3 250.

We've laughed in the past at novice green laners turning up on a 525 KTM, is getting the Sherco similarly a bit over the top for a beginner?
I know the throttle works both ways but it's the breadth of the power band and severity of it that may be an issue. Or not.
I've had a go on Robbie's Gas Gas 310 and that is mental, it feels like it would back flip on the spot.

I would go Beta

Soft power delivery, good beginner's bike with sweet manners

Good chassis and suspension

Very reliable (apart from 2 minor common probs - carb overflow and stators - both easily fixed)

Sherco has a lighter chassis and is more flickable, for an expert rider - but in general is more fragile

Sherco is a torquey motor, but can provide a brutal hit of power, which may leave you dangling from a tree:eek:

When I got back into trials a few years ago I ended up with a Sherco 290.
Lovely bike, really smoooooth power delivery with no big hit unlike some of the big bore trials bikes.
Great for mud, stick in 4th and let it work!!!!

It depends what level of rider you are, some may find it a too torquey.
Try to get a ride on some different bikes as they all have their own characteristics.
I know of several adults round here who have great fun and success on 125's!

Thanks for the quick replies, they confirmed what I had been thinking.

So I've just bought this ...

:D:D:D:D:D:D

beta.jpg

2008 for £1600.

It was customised (black frame, red clamps etc) by some high flyer who had it first. I'm picking it up from Caenarfon tomorrow.

Just need helmet and boots now. And practise. Lots of practise :D

After having a go on Robbie's in the quarry in Hereford last month, after initially being scared to death (my usual default self-preservation mode), I couldn't stop thinking about the sport.

So I went and spectated at the Stourbridge trials club event in Shatterford last weekend (home of Robert Plant, trivia fans) and spoke with a couple of observers. Their practise area is on a farm 15 minutes from my house and costs a tenner a day. It's really a no-brainer for me as I've been edging towards trials for a long time. I've always got much more satisfaction from doing something slow and tricky and have never been into giving it loads and going fast.

Rob and I will be doing a few weekends at the quarry and then plan to enter some events. The Stourbridge club is known to be on the easier end of the scale. Plenty of tight turns and mud, no rocks or water. So it looks like an ideal place to start.:thumb2

Ferret - you should come and join in! (and anyone else of course).

Gaz will do, ive ridden pre 65 at the trials ground at Shatterford (not very well mind) well upto a bit of practice, give us a bell when ready:thumb, ideal when the nights get a bit lighter, ime working over Brierly Hill now so can drop in on my way home for a few hours:thumb2

2008 for £1600.

Not bad at all. :thumb

Check the brake disc bolts and sprocket bolts for tension. Pull the shock bolts and regrease. Take the ignition cover off and see how much crud is in there (do this often). Don't try and take the sumpguard off unless you have at least two other people present to help you get it back on. DAMHIK
Super little bikes.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom