Trials Confusion

Deleted account 231002001

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Reading all the trials threads at the moment has got me thinking again about maybe having a go sometime. However I'm confused, what I like the look of is the road trials on something older.

When I look at photos of events like the Exeter, Exmoor, Clouds, Lands End etc I don't see many of what I would call Trial bikes, the sort of things your riding at the moment.

:confused:

Thats because origionally trials bikes were bikes which were adapted road bikes of the day, competitors would ride there bikes during the week as their main transport then ride to a trial at the weekend, compete then ride home, they adapted the bikes as they went:thumb

So does anyone turn up to the trials that you, JB and Tim are doing at the moment on 'road trial' bikes? Would they be any good at that stuff and do people do the road trials on the sort of stuff your riding?

Some clubs run a trail bike class for drz type trail bikes usually the wobblers route but challenging on a large road going trail bike

What bikes have you seen on these trials? at pre 65 trials meets you get people riding on rigid framed bikes, Matchless, Bsa Bantam, and lots of Triumph derived 350ta engined derivetives, bikes are developed all the time by their riders and it was probably only in the late 50's early 60's that the main manufacturers started to develop trials bikes for sale.
At trials meetings the different aged/style bikes are placed in different categories and sometimes follow different routes which are laid out with that type of bike in mind.

I think i am right in thinking that a lot of the early trials were more based on Long distance trials , such as the Edinburgh, Land End etc where there was greater distance between sections, nowadays most trials sections are set out over just a few acres.
Ime sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly to put me right on a few things:thumb

What bikes have you seen on these trials?

Yeah I guess there is a difference between these road or reliability trials and the events your entering as alot use modern trail bikes for the Exeter and the like. I like the classic trail bikes like Tiger Trails or Trophy Trails, trouble is their so flippin expensive.

I guess the twin shock stuff which seems popular here at the moment wouldn't be so good for the longer events covering road miles.

The only one that could abridge both event types is a Honda TLR200/250

LDT's = Lond Distance Trials and contains easy sections and lots of roadwork

Trials are more severe sections, with little or no roadwork and the course covers only a few acres, say a quarry/wood/moor/farm

The only one that could abridge both event types is a Honda TLR200/250

LDT's = Lond Distance Trials and contains easy sections and lots of roadwork

Trials are more severe sections, with little or no roadwork and the course covers only a few acres, say a quarry/wood/moor/farm

:thumb2

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get the weekend off in May and have a go at Sids, it does look good fun.

I like the classic trail bikes like Tiger Trails or Trophy Trails, trouble is their so flippin expensive.

Just a suggestion here;)

If you're interested in just the bikes then you're on your own as it's your decision.

If you want to ride, irrespective of whether you like the look of a bike then we're getting somewhere. A trials bike is a tool which becomes an extension of your body.
So decide if you want to ride modern, classic/twinshock or old trail bikes on an easy course, most of the old, trail/trial bikes you seem to be considering are realistically heaps of old shite unless you spend several thousand:)

The reasons many favour twin shock these days are, the course are often not stupidly difficult for beginners and improvers yet with the option of routes can be most challenging. It's often much cheaper, less competitive (unless you want it to be), friendier, the bikes are more interesting and most importantly, for me anyway, I don't have to wear lycra:ymca

Moz will be riding this rigid bike today which is worth feck all and I expect he'll get a fairly reasonable result in the intermediate class on only his 2nd trial because he's a natural rider and not because of money but due to his competive nature he'll really want to win on this bike:thumb
Right I'm off:bounce1

Attachments

• P1030094 (Small).JPG
    P1030094 (Small).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 139
The reasons many favour twin shock these days are, the course are often not stupidly difficult for beginners and improvers yet with the option of routes can be most challenging. It's often much cheaper, less competitive (unless you want it to be), friendier, the bikes are more interesting and most importantly, for me anyway, I don't have to wear lycra:ymca

Moz will be riding this rigid bike today which is worth feck all and I expect he'll get a fairly reasonable result in the intermediate class on only his 2nd trial because he's a natural rider and not because of money but due to his competive nature he'll really want to win on this bike:thumb
Right I'm off:bounce1

Very helpfull ta and after reading more and speaking to JB, I think if I end up having a go then a road reg'd twin shock would be the best bet.

I like the older stuff, I like the idea of not stupidly difficult but still competing in something, friendly, not overly competitive, easy to transport on the car and deffo no JB purple lycra :eek

I was getting slightly confused because when you google Exmoor and Trials you do get a lot of the long distance stuff back, however there seems to be quite a few with less miles.

Think I'll just have a look around, hopefully get up to Sids and if I get a chance go and watch a couple.

Good luck to you both today.

Back
Top Bottom