quest touratech mount - power problem

TangibleSolid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi,
can anyone tell me what the voltage is at the pins on an powered touratech crossbar mount for the quest series

I have said mount and i'm getting a steady 3.26ish volts across the pins BUT the quest will not charge on the mount. I thought it might be the quest itself but I've checked a friends quest in the mount and that one doesn't charge either however friends quest charge's fine through his own garmin m/c mount. My quest also charges through his garmin mount

I'm wondering if the in-line guppins (looks like a small circuit board which is covered in heat shrink) which, I assume reduces the 12v from the battery to whatever the quest needs, is not producing enough power to charge the quest. I have taken the wiring 'block' off the mount and pressed it onto the quest directly and it still doesn't work which seems to exclude a 'not fitting on the pins properly' type problem

Alternatively anyone any other ideas?

Cheers

Mine was working fine untill it went on fire......!:eek:

Ok, not strictly true....! It went on fire after it stopped working because the fuse blew and I replaced it with a slightly bigger one!

MY Touratech Quest power lead has an audio lead and there's a small printed circuit board under some shrink wrap along the cable and when I stripped what was left of the burned shrink wrap off the board it looked badly corroded as well as burned.

I think over time water had managed to get under the shrink wrap and corrode the board untill it blew the fuse and when I put another one in it started to smoulder very, very badly.

You should have seen me trying to get the TT powerlead off my brand new GSA30 before the whole lot went up.......!

FP.

I understand that the quest requires 5volts
I bought one 2nd hand and the cable attached to the TT bracket had been modified - couldn't see anything to reduce the 12v going in so I swapped the cable out to the car one with ciggy socket plug and speaker, Works brilliantly but I did think people were shouting at me - it was the quest issuing instruction to my backside from under the seat.
If you still need an exact reading let me know and I'll did out the multimeter

Thanks for the replies gents.

I definately don't get 5 volts at the pins so I guess the in-line regulator is faulty.
The info about setting on fire has me slightly concerned :eek:

Does anyone know if this inline gubbins is (easily) repairable, not by me though, or do I need to get a new one!

Thanks

Don't worry too much about the powerlead smouldering, the original fuse did it's job well......!:thumb

You didn't see what size of replacement fuse I fitted, lets just say it was a wee bit bigger than the recommended size......!:blast

You can still get a replacement lead from Touratech i'm thinking they are around £60. When I stripped the circuit board out and had a look at it there wasn't much left to identify what the board was made up of.

FP.

Just to finish this off, I managed to find a local electronics place who think it shouldn't be much of a job to repair the cable for £10-£15 so I'm going to give them a go.
Failing that, I guess I will have to get a new one.
Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom