Romania 2012

Just done Transalpina and Transfagarasan on the same day last Friday, starting and ending in Bucharest. Transalpina is amazing if it is not in the clouds (well, this goes fo both but we only got the fog on Transalpina). In 800km, less than 30 were really bad. Transalpina has some patches unfinished and also some work in progress (scary big excavating machine parked on the road when you have 20m visibility... that kept us at 30km/h for a while). Transfagarasan has a really bad piece of road, it's down in the forests, not longer than 10-15km but really bad, no way to avoid the potholes.

Regarding the route, in my opinion you could get from Debrecen, Hungary to Bucharest in one day, but it would mean riding like hell and missing most of the fun. Better to stop in Sibiu which is quite nice and then choose one of the above two roads to cross the mountains (not what Google Maps suggests).

Regarding the route, in my opinion you could get from Debrecen, Hungary to Bucharest in one day, but it would mean riding like hell and missing most of the fun.

Naah, we want the fun. I'm looking for excuses for diversion etc. Don't want to spend 8 hrs in the saddle every day.
It's not a sprint to Bucharest and then spend all our time around Romania.
I would rather stroll down there via an interesting and roundabout route.
Have a couple (max) days in Bucharest, and then wind our way back by a different but equally interesting route.

Was thinking of doing one of the roads on the way in and the other on the way out.

Say 14 days in total. A day at either end to get to the continent.
2 days off in Bucharest. 2 other misc days off to break up the journey - carry out repairs etc. Gives us 8 days riding. So 4 days from Zebrugge to Bucharest. Break the back of the mileage on the fast western roads. Does this sound reasonable.....?

Naah, we want the fun. I'm looking for excuses for diversion etc. Don't want to spend 8 hrs in the saddle every day.
It's not a sprint to Bucharest and then spend all our time around Romania.
I would rather stroll down there via an interesting and roundabout route.
Have a couple (max) days in Bucharest, and then wind our way back by a different but equally interesting route.

Was thinking of doing one of the roads on the way in and the other on the way out.

Say 14 days in total. A day at either end to get to the continent.
2 days off in Bucharest. 2 other misc days off to break up the journey - carry out repairs etc. Gives us 8 days riding. So 4 days from Zebrugge to Bucharest. Break the back of the mileage on the fast western roads. Does this sound reasonable.....?

Should be doable, but you should probably leave out Poland. I used 6 days (Rotterdam -> Dresden -> Prague -> Slovakia (High Tatras) -> Romania), taking it very easy.

Casper

Romania

Do the Dracular rally, a real laugh but make sure you stay in the Hotel Dracula
(in Turda, yes it lives up to it's name!!). Don't stay anywhere else as I ended
up in a gulag!, they have their version of the TT down the main drag which consists of a dual carrigeway about a mile dow one side and up the other!.
You've never seen racing like this, one scottish gent riding an 1100 RT
in a kilt! a local on an opld harley chopper with a german helmet and enourmous pair of goggles!! and various other "competitors" and a great time had by all it's a real laugh!!. ('aint ACU approved for sure!).
Roads are crap, but people are very nice plenty of Trebants about!.
Dave GS.

Quite interesting, I had the worst roads ever imagined in Romania, where as in Bulgaria some of them where not great, but in general not too bad. But in Romania the roads in the North East are a wold apart from the south.

Casper

they are good roads now (well better than 3 yrs before), way better than bulgaria
watch for idiots (especially in suv's). drive defensively and you will live.
(still better than in istanbul)

This year I made again trip in Balkan countries. In Romania I was 4 or 5 times , alone with 1 bike and my wife on the back seat. Never we had any problems . From year to year you can see some progress , but remember always use side roads . This year Transalpina is asphalt only.
This year with trip was with czech friends from 10.09-24.09.2011 , two days relax, one day in rain, max 38 degree celsjus min 12 degree . Round trip was 5760 km average 4,9l /100km. Chippest fule BiH 1 EUR, most expensive Ungarn 1,7 EUR. I had twice pick up my bike on gravel roads, one RT tryed to ride like GS so he was punished. Countries visited PL-UA-RO-BG-MK-AL-MN-HR-SLO-A-H-SK-PL

dd4875dd.jpg

ac4f0f83.jpg

5f20bfef.jpg

9eef9175.jpg

93427b97.jpg

0d0d6fce.jpg

ee0cf781.jpg

4ab5fbdb.jpg

c167e577.jpg

3654aa5e.jpg

b7f3db96.jpg

bd70e09e.jpg

75027bd0.jpg

2874741a.jpg

03bcfe12.jpg

0a1419c9.jpg

8e29b980.jpg

3ce34a82.jpg

ede1b8e7.jpg

438b52df.jpg

a45e4e37.jpg

4184e881.jpg

b91ddae3.jpg

7d15ad4e.jpg

b906b865.jpg

45b8346b.jpg

37755b74.jpg

0574f52f.jpg

38414321.jpg

8e8b965c.jpg

1fbab87e.jpg

60b9a759.jpg

5ce49804.jpg

cd24437c.jpg

f80e133a.jpg

404b4ed3.jpg

d1832b3f.jpg

af652609.jpg

db86d2e8.jpg

fb299ab8.jpg

9c36caba.jpg

a95e8156.jpg

542b7ce0.jpg

ef3eda7e.jpg

3b2d325c.jpg

3c1d99e5.jpg

1bf1bc02.jpg

12d24361.jpg

44a86fe4.jpg

c9d7861b.jpg

799dac32.jpg

c0f005c1.jpg

4ca6e53b.jpg

e057a202.jpg

9b644150.jpg

ab74eb52.jpg

880d2ff4.jpg

16b0ab9f.jpg

38b935f4.jpg

5be54433.jpg

2433c851.jpg

6acd3f59.jpg

5f17f76e.jpg

88113049.jpg

9845e81f.jpg

0c413e08.jpg

Anake 2 after 10 tys km

Greetings

Prague

Can anyone recommend and changes that would improve the route ?

Any advice welcome :beerjug:

I did a very similar trip a few months ago, but went on to Turkey, Georgia and Armenia.

IMHO - travel Dresden to Prague, via Olomouc to Krakow. Romania is a fantastic country - hospitable, cheap and decent roads. Gavin Bell from this parish lives in Brasov. He's a great source of information.

I loved romainia mostly good roads less you venture off road fantastic food great pork dishes, also if you get the chance pop into moldova,oh an i forgot the girls :thumb

Hi All
I have been to Romania many times and always have found it to be a fantastic country. People are great and very friendly, just dont get too close to the gypseys. Take you seconds to spot them. The kids beg and adults steal, its in their nature. Give the kids food if they are begging and your kind because all money goes to their 'parents'!
The roads are deff improving, we have seen a few by passes opened up lately which is amazing. In general the roads are busy mostly single carriageways shared with all manner of transport. The driving pace is erm, frenetic. There is only one way to drive, flat out with no regard for any safety. Overtaking is a must especially in dangerous moments wether the overtaking vehicle is an artic, Bmw 540 or a rotting Dacia. Its interesting to say the least! There is one common rule (unwritten) the bigger and posher your car the more right you have to get infront! The worst time to enter Romania is end of July, beginning of August when most the people who work away come home for summer. For example Nadlac to Brasov can take 8 hours, 400km ish!
The police are ok, might seem a bit hard on the exterior but they are fine! Worst thing is the lastest push knicking speeding people, oncoming drivers will often flash to warn you tho.
Food and drink is good, cheap and plentiful. There are a few expensive tourist areas but its not difficult to find good stuff. If your offered a white alcoholic drink try it, may blow your head off but itll warm you up! This is rakki made by a large amount of the population. My father in law makes his out of plums with alcohol @ 70 dg!
Whats to see? Tons but the Romanian government are a bit slow promoting this beautiful country. Most famous drive, the Transfagarasan, raced by Clarkson, before that Me killing a Dacia 1310! Its hell of a drive with cracking views and a wee bungee jump to try on south side!
You have many castles, Bran being famous for Dracula. Theres Rasnov, Peles and many others. Poiana for skiing, Constanta the seaside resort, Danube Delta (its huge) and Danube river itself. There is also many monastrys around. All these places are sign posted as you ride along, if you see a sign and your not sure have a look!
Everything is at a good price, all important beer is cheap and in many varieties, Food everywhere and camping/hotels all good. Petrol tho is same price as here, whiched shocked me last week!
Never had anything nicked there but using your brain is a must. You know when your instinct tells you no, listen its usually right!
Not many bikes in Romania, as said before by other posts people will be interested in you. Dont forget to get your tax when you enter Romania or the police will take a very keen interest in your wallet. Its a digitised tax system so all you get is an official reciept.
I ride/drive here a few times every year and love the place.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Au un mare timp,
Drum Bun

I passed from Hungary to Romania at relatively small crossing on my bike and queed at shed for 10 minutes with other foreign car drivers who were buying Tax only to be told a bike did'nt need to buy it!

Back
Top Bottom