Davida Helmets ?

les049

Reaction score
Any good ? Fancy the idea of a piss pot for riding in the city this summer. I know about the sizing issues, but does anyone have any experience / views of them ?

I travelled around Italy on an old Triumph many moons ago wearing one, as John Plane says, the leather lining is a sticky in hot weather but a great quality helmet....and made by a cool mate of mine:cool:

The cool looking ones (with the thin lining) are illegal in the UK and the linings are pretty hard. They take quite a while to wear in. Mine gave me a few headaches on long runs for the first year or so but it fits like a glove now. Just wish I looked cool in it :ymca

I bought one about 10 years ago, still got it and the quality is second to none, nice and quiet as well :thumb2

Very tight fit on the Jet style helmets.
I normally wear "Small" in Arai but had to go up to " Medium" with Davida.
As a manufacturer they are very helpfuL. If you contact them, they can make several adjustments to ensure best fit and comfort whilst apparently maintaining maximum protection properties . They will also do custom paint. Certainly well made and lovely finish.Try before you buy to ensure fit is right.

I agree with the consensus that you need to buy at least one size up. But you've already said you know that :augie

It's not clear if you mean the pudding basin ones or the Jet ones.

I have a classic Jet which is not legal for the UK. However, it does give amazing visibility without making me look a total bubblehead. I get around the sweaty leather lining by wearing a USAF/RAF flying helmet cotton skullcap under it and washing that regularly. Only problem is i sometimes get 'goggle strap slap' at higher speeds :eek:

Dave

The cool looking ones (with the thin lining) are illegal in the UK and the linings are pretty hard. They take quite a while to wear in. Mine gave me a few headaches on long runs for the first year or so but it fits like a glove now. Just wish I looked cool in it :ymca

:agree

My wife and I have used Davida Open Face Helmets for the last few years.

We both agree that they're very well made and excellent quality, sizes are exact so are very close fitting, this is what puts most people off and some others may just not like the look.

My advice is to get your head properly measured or get the wife to measure using a fabric or plastic tape measure. There are websites which illustrate how to do this, but basically measure around the head, just above the eyebrows and ears and around the widest part of the head.
Back in the early 80's I just tried a helmet and bought one that felt comfy and looked good!!
It transpires that I always thought I was a Large but after my wife measured me, I am in fact a Medium :eek: :blush

When I bought my Medium sized Davida, I tried it on and it felt extremely small and far too tight, the shop assistant and former Arai employee assured me that although its tight now, it is the correct fit and after several rides it will give and fit like a glove.
At the time, I thought what planet is this guy from, he's only trying to make a sale.
Anyway, I took his advice and decided to buy the Davida and rode home wearing it. After riding 20 miles I felt discomfort and after 40 miles I had to stop and remove the helmet because I had tears in my eyes which was due to pain and not wind and my head felt like it was in a vice.
It was late afternoon and too late to return to the shop so we rode the remaining 40 miles home.
When I arrived home, to say it was a relief to remove the helmet is a complete understatement.
Next morning I rode back to the shop using my old full face with the Davida boxed on the bike rack.
Upon arrival at the shop, I had a somewhat heated debate with the sales assistant who sold me the Davida. He again asked me to give it some time and said that it will give a little with regular use and eventually fit well.
He said some people carefully manipulate with their fingers, areas of pressure points inside the helmet. With his guidance I carefully manipulated the areas which caused most pressure and then rode back home wearing my Davida - This ride was a little easier than my first with my Davida but still painful.

The end result after numerous rides is a very well made, excellent quality, very quiet, quieter than some of my full faces and definitely quieter than other open face helmets, comfortable well fitting helmet.

Do I recommend Davida helmets - Hell yeah.... :thumb2

Would I buy a larger size than my head measurement indicates - No.
Some new owners of Davida may find the correctly sized helmet just too much pain to bear in the bedding in period.

Davida sizes are precise, unlike most brands who are generous with their sizing.

Ya pays ya money............

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom