Off-road instruction nr London?

Christianhinch

Reaction score
I live in London, am about to get an R1200 GS and I'm told that the quickest way to gain confidence and learn how to handle/manage the bike is by doing an off-road course.
I don't have the money nor time to travel to do the BMW Wales off road 2 day course.
Any suggestions for a 1 day course/instructor within an hour or so from London ?
I'd want to do it on an R1200 GS.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Short answer: no.

You could try some green lanes (get an OS map or seek TRF help) but it you've never been off road before then the big GS is hardly the right thig to learn on.

I'd also question your sanity in wanting to do this as there's little apparent sense in buying a GS if you live in London but can't even make it to Wales. What's wrong with a vespa? ;o)

You could do worse that joining a few of us on green lane events around London. Where in London are you?

:confused:

Greg

You're quite right on the lack of practical thought in having a GS in London but I simply could not resist it!

I live in Battersea
That's a kind offer Greg - I'll get the bike, see how I do and then re-connect with you, thanks

Please do try a smaller bike first if venturing off-road. You *will* fall off, and it'll be much more frequent and expensive on the GS. There's a fair few off-road schools around the South East if you can't make it to Wales, but I still think Yamaha Off Road Experience (Llanidloes) is your best bet by far.

One off-road school just north of London is Trailworld:

http://www.trailworld.co.uk/

Not far from M1, just south of Luton.

I don't think you be able to use your 1200, but I agree with muppix - start with their bikes.

or ride on Salisbury Plain, it's unmade roads so you get the feeling of offroad but your not offroad really. But you can get really stuck so always go in small group 3 people being the smallest....:thumb2

otherwise come down to surrey and do a couple of simple lanes with some people from down here.

(PS if you do, you do so at your own risk, and accept the simple rules that go with such activity.)

there also www.rideanyroad.co.uk/

I spent a day out with Chris on my 1150 to get a taste of off roading

he's really good at getting you used to riding on different surfaces and all paced at whatever level you need

A number of us here on the forum have done the ktm thing with Patsy Quick at the adventure riding academy. She runs ride out days every month or so and has got me into Hare and Hounds races, Rallys , Enduro as well as tempting me to spend money by going to Morocco.

Patsy and Zippy are great trainers and nothing is too much trouble, They have quality kit if you want to borrow theirs as well as brand new 400EXCs or 690s.

There are obviously other places to pick up similar skills and most people will have only experience of their own training school. I went through the same dilemma of choosing a venue and in the end it was who I spoke to when I rung the number. Patsy's outfit was professional yet personal.

Back
Top Bottom