Mentors, Minors and Motorikes and Money well spent.

Grizz

EXCITED MEMBER...!!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Trying to do a clever title here.

Lets see if anyone takes a look at the pics.

On Saurday Jon "Lebowski" invited me to meet up with him, Pete and Wes at http://www.theoldquarry.co.uk/

The cost is £13.00 to ride in a pretty challenging old quarry setting between trees etc from 10am to 2pm. Watching them I realised it was money well spent.

By 1pm I was soooooooo tempted to take a spin on any of the bikes that they all offered me a ride on, but I just , only just kept to my self imposed "banning" whereby I had vouched not to touch a bike untill I am back in a job.

I was on the 1200GS, and met the guys at Clackett lane Services on the M25 at 9.30am and by 10am we were at the venue.

A quick unload from Jon's new van, and off to the playpen.

It had been raining recently, so there was the added challenge of slippery clay and leaves etc, but as the day progressed conditions got better and the place dried out. Sunday there was an event booked, and I would think the riding would have been awesome.

Jon and Pete were exellent Mentors to Wes and myself as the Minors on the day.

It is great to see how much sharing of best technique there is in Trials, which I experienced the last time I was out as well.
Even without a bike, I learned a load, thanks guys.

Wes as a typical 16 year old was sickening in his ability to assimilate and put into practice everything the guys showed or told him. (I am jealous)

It took him less than 5 minutes to grasp popping and lifting the front wheel over a small log etc.

Right, pics randomly, for those who like pics.

I forgot my camera at home for some reason, so had to use the mobile phone camera.

Somehow never took a pic of a 52 year old guy on a pristine Ossa with that lovely decompression lever, making the bike hiss and fart downhill.

Unpacked and warming up.

IMAG1182.jpg

Pete in the yellow helmet is verrrry skilled and makes it all look so easy.

IMAG1184.jpg

Jon and Wes doing the slow fine motor co-ordination practice.

IMAG1195.jpg

IMAG1197.jpg

Jon doing the snotty sideways camber climb. Even walking there proves to be treacherous.

IMAG1201.jpg

Wes finding his way very quickly, did not take long for him to do some very tidy riding.

IMAG1204.jpg

IMAG1207.jpg

2pm came waaaay too soon, and time to shove the bikes back into the van, and head off home.

IMAG1211.jpg

I am soooo looking forward to having a bike so that I can start learning just how bad I am at bike control.

I noted again over the weekend, there is no room for ego's in this game.

Good report........................it's so addictive, even though I'm aching today:blast

Good report........................it's so addictive, even though I'm aching today:blast

Good to chat to you last night.

I do agree with every point above.......

The noose is getting tighter and tighter

Jon came over today to discuss ways of increasing the sound proofing of his van and ways of fitting stands or fittings to use when transporting 2 bikes or up to 4 mountain bikes, while also having a bed base, and mattress in the mix somewhere.

After a cuppa, the royal tour and a natter we started looking at options......

At some point the plot was lost and Jon's Beta Rev3 came out.... just to check if my space was big enough to create a simple practice ring for the basic stuff people like me have not even considdered, let alone done.

With Jon playing, I fetched the camera from the house and took a few pics.

P1010531.jpg

I also threw a paving brick into the mix for him to hop over.

P1010539.jpg

Ultimately he FORCED me onto his bike to embarrass myself on a few loops, and multiple dabs :D:D:D

P1010542.jpg

I can now conclusively state that the space is actually more than enough for fine control practice, and that when I get to have a bike, I will spend some time down there getting knackered.

It is amazing how tiring even just 15 minutes on a bike is when you are as unfit as I am. Currently I can carry a load of railway sleepers about, but the bike got my knees and calf muscles, as well as the rest of me.

Just when we were packing the bike up, the Postal service delivered my new Nau Helmet...... very chuffed I am.

Looking good..................nice bikes those Rev 3's

Unless your on a hill with the front wheel pointing downwards, then you'll be needing a Lampkin carb mod....but when sorted your right they are cracking tool I would have another:thumb

Back
Top Bottom