Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Cracking Dalton Highway Guide

  1. #1
    * * * * * * Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    10,506

    Cracking Dalton Highway Guide

    memo to self, don't get excited too early......


    http://www.nps.gov/anch/parknews/upload/DaltonGuide.pdf
    <a href=http://www.nomadbiker.co.uk target=_blank>www.nomadbiker.co.uk</a>

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    4,169
    aye just you behave yerself
    still no deid

  3. #3
    Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The North East
    Posts
    40,815
    "If a black bear attacks. Fight back"

    PUI since 2004


    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]


  4. #4
    Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Armagh, Ireland
    Posts
    12,731
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield View Post
    don't get excited too early......
    Yeah right, like that's ever gonna happen.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield View Post
    memo to self, don't get excited too early......


    http://www.nps.gov/anch/parknews/upload/DaltonGuide.pdf
    This seems to be gone so try
    http://www.alaskacenters.gov/road-info.cfm
    Dave

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Deepest Suffolk
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield View Post
    memo to self, don't get excited too early......


    http://www.nps.gov/anch/parknews/upload/DaltonGuide.pdf
    Think you may find it here now http://www.alaskageographic.org/uplo...ton-vg2011.pdf

  7. #7

    Cool

    That's a great guide..

    My Dalton top ten tips.

    Speed is your friend.

    Don't pass trucks on a bend they kick up some serious dust and rocks up

    If they have just laid calcium chloride down wait for a truck to flatten it and squeeze the water out, if not it can be like ice.

    They repair the road from corner to corner, so you are on a great bit of solid dirt doing 60 ish and the bend comes, they will probably of not fixed the next section.. Be warned..

    If it rains it really rains, that good dirt turns to slop. Try to have dry weather. Just like climbing a mountain.

    The Dalton is expensive. Rooms can be 200 bucks a night at Coldfoot and Dead horse. Camp at coldfoot, the rooms aren't worth it..

    Take ear plug for cold foot, trucks arer in and out a lot, there are huskies near by and they made a lot of noise during the night.

    Try and time it so you are not on Atigun Pass when there is a truck because you won't see anything because of the dust. including the road.

    Make sure you have plenty of fuel, if the road is slippy you will be in a lower gear, more fuel!

    A mosquito nets are handy when you stop.

    Stay in the university in Fairbanks, cheep and cheerful .
    Leave extra kit/box,s at the uneiversity in Fairbanks.

    Shawn at Adventure Cycle works is fond of cigars. His dad has a 50 cal rifle, be polite..oh and his dog is blind....

    Take lots of pictures, don't take too many risks, if you ain't feeling it, turn round and come back it will be there for a long time.

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Embra, Scotland
    Posts
    5,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    "If a black bear attacks. Fight back"

    How do you protect yourself from bears?

    1. Carry peppermint spray.

    2. Attach bells to your kit so the bears hear you and run away.

    3. Learn the difference between black bears and grizzlies. It's easy. Find some bear poop and break it open. If it smells of peppermint and jingles when you shake it, it's a grizzly!

  9. #9
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    5
    Really? LOL

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Andover Hampshire, Real ENGLAND
    Posts
    16,852
    Fantastic program on T.V with Charlie Boorman and Sue Pollard driving in the snow and Ice, fantastic stuff

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnywave View Post
    That's a great guide..

    My Dalton top ten tips.

    Speed is your friend.

    Don't pass trucks on a bend they kick up some serious dust and rocks up

    If they have just laid calcium chloride down wait for a truck to flatten it and squeeze the water out, if not it can be like ice.

    They repair the road from corner to corner, so you are on a great bit of solid dirt doing 60 ish and the bend comes, they will probably of not fixed the next section.. Be warned..

    If it rains it really rains, that good dirt turns to slop. Try to have dry weather. Just like climbing a mountain.

    The Dalton is expensive. Rooms can be 200 bucks a night at Coldfoot and Dead horse. Camp at coldfoot, the rooms aren't worth it..

    Take ear plug for cold foot, trucks arer in and out a lot, there are huskies near by and they made a lot of noise during the night.

    Try and time it so you are not on Atigun Pass when there is a truck because you won't see anything because of the dust. including the road.

    Make sure you have plenty of fuel, if the road is slippy you will be in a lower gear, more fuel!

    A mosquito nets are handy when you stop.

    Stay in the university in Fairbanks, cheep and cheerful .
    Leave extra kit/box,s at the uneiversity in Fairbanks.

    Shawn at Adventure Cycle works is fond of cigars. His dad has a 50 cal rifle, be polite..oh and his dog is blind....

    Take lots of pictures, don't take too many risks, if you ain't feeling it, turn round and come back it will be there for a long time.
    What tyres did you use?

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    bromley
    Posts
    7,535

    Dalton

    The best tyres are torance on the back and KC80 on the front tourance gives the milage and the KC secures the front ent end brilliantly, fast way pegs are essential for a comfortable much standing required/ Do take note of the camping reccomendations. Good brekkies at Prudoe bay but were $18.00 in 2007, make sure your hungry as you can eat as much as you like for the same price!. When you think only about the same price as a motorway services buit 300% better and it's hot!!!!! and tasty!!, Enjoy it.
    Dave GS
    Old GSer's never die, they just fall off more often!.

    So many cats, so few recipies!!.

  13. #13

    WHAT TYRES DID I USE?

    TKC 80's i got them from ADventure Cycle works in Fairbanks Shawn and Ian are great they fit and service your bike too.Cheaper than i can buy them in the UK. I used the same tyres to get to Prudhoe and back and then across Canada and changed when i got into New York State.

  14. #14
    what all these guys said except mossie head net essential!
    got major attacked in wiseman (stayed with a great couple in a log cabin)
    and when we tried to brew some tea on the perma frost in the brooks range
    there was more mossies in the tea than in the air!
    will try and find the name of the wiseman accomadation for you
    cheers

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portadown N.Ireland
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnywave View Post
    TKC 80's i got them from ADventure Cycle works in Fairbanks Shawn and Ian are great they fit and service your bike too.Cheaper than i can buy them in the UK. I used the same tyres to get to Prudhoe and back and then across Canada and changed when i got into New York State.
    Accordiing to their site it's 150/70-17 $222.00 110/80-19 $172.00 $394.00 = £250.96 http://www.advcycleworks.com/tires
    Listed on ebay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-80-19-...item43ade01f2a from roundandblack at £202.00 UK mainland delivery, although delivery to me in NI is £22.00 so makes them the same price as from the local tyre dealer..... bugger... i will be taking a pair with me.

  16. #16

    Click here to find out how to remove these ads

    Quote Originally Posted by how much for a service! View Post
    what all these guys said except mossie head net essential!
    got major attacked in wiseman (stayed with a great couple in a log cabin)
    and when we tried to brew some tea on the perma frost in the brooks range
    there was more mossies in the tea than in the air!
    will try and find the name of the wiseman accomadation for you
    cheers
    this was the one!

    http://www.arcticgetaway.com/index.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"