Cracking Dalton Highway Guide

Cool

That's a great guide..

My Dalton top ten tips.

Speed is your friend.

Don't pass trucks on a bend they kick up some serious dust and rocks up

If they have just laid calcium chloride down wait for a truck to flatten it and squeeze the water out, if not it can be like ice.

They repair the road from corner to corner, so you are on a great bit of solid dirt doing 60 ish and the bend comes, they will probably of not fixed the next section.. Be warned..

If it rains it really rains, that good dirt turns to slop. Try to have dry weather. Just like climbing a mountain.

The Dalton is expensive. Rooms can be 200 bucks a night at Coldfoot and Dead horse. Camp at coldfoot, the rooms aren't worth it..

Take ear plug for cold foot, trucks arer in and out a lot, there are huskies near by and they made a lot of noise during the night.

Try and time it so you are not on Atigun Pass when there is a truck because you won't see anything because of the dust. including the road.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel, if the road is slippy you will be in a lower gear, more fuel!

A mosquito nets are handy when you stop.

Stay in the university in Fairbanks, cheep and cheerful .
Leave extra kit/box,s at the uneiversity in Fairbanks.

Shawn at Adventure Cycle works is fond of cigars. His dad has a 50 cal rifle, be polite..oh and his dog is blind....

Take lots of pictures, don't take too many risks, if you ain't feeling it, turn round and come back it will be there for a long time.

"If a black bear attacks. Fight back"

:eek:

How do you protect yourself from bears?

1. Carry peppermint spray.

2. Attach bells to your kit so the bears hear you and run away.

3. Learn the difference between black bears and grizzlies. It's easy. Find some bear poop and break it open. If it smells of peppermint and jingles when you shake it, it's a grizzly!:D

That's a great guide..

My Dalton top ten tips.

Speed is your friend.

Don't pass trucks on a bend they kick up some serious dust and rocks up

If they have just laid calcium chloride down wait for a truck to flatten it and squeeze the water out, if not it can be like ice.

They repair the road from corner to corner, so you are on a great bit of solid dirt doing 60 ish and the bend comes, they will probably of not fixed the next section.. Be warned..

If it rains it really rains, that good dirt turns to slop. Try to have dry weather. Just like climbing a mountain.

The Dalton is expensive. Rooms can be 200 bucks a night at Coldfoot and Dead horse. Camp at coldfoot, the rooms aren't worth it..

Take ear plug for cold foot, trucks arer in and out a lot, there are huskies near by and they made a lot of noise during the night.

Try and time it so you are not on Atigun Pass when there is a truck because you won't see anything because of the dust. including the road.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel, if the road is slippy you will be in a lower gear, more fuel!

A mosquito nets are handy when you stop.

Stay in the university in Fairbanks, cheep and cheerful .
Leave extra kit/box,s at the uneiversity in Fairbanks.

Shawn at Adventure Cycle works is fond of cigars. His dad has a 50 cal rifle, be polite..oh and his dog is blind....

Take lots of pictures, don't take too many risks, if you ain't feeling it, turn round and come back it will be there for a long time.

What tyres did you use?

Dalton

The best tyres are torance on the back and KC80 on the front tourance gives the milage and the KC secures the front ent end brilliantly, fast way pegs are essential for a comfortable much standing required/ Do take note of the camping reccomendations. Good brekkies at Prudoe bay but were $18.00 in 2007, make sure your hungry as you can eat as much as you like for the same price!. When you think only about the same price as a motorway services buit 300% better and it's hot!!!!! and tasty!!, Enjoy it.
Dave GS

WHAT TYRES DID I USE?

TKC 80's i got them from ADventure Cycle works in Fairbanks Shawn and Ian are great they fit and service your bike too.Cheaper than i can buy them in the UK. I used the same tyres to get to Prudhoe and back and then across Canada and changed when i got into New York State.

what all these guys said except mossie head net essential!
got major attacked in wiseman (stayed with a great couple in a log cabin)
and when we tried to brew some tea on the perma frost in the brooks range
there was more mossies in the tea than in the air!
will try and find the name of the wiseman accomadation for you
cheers

TKC 80's i got them from ADventure Cycle works in Fairbanks Shawn and Ian are great they fit and service your bike too.Cheaper than i can buy them in the UK. I used the same tyres to get to Prudhoe and back and then across Canada and changed when i got into New York State.

Accordiing to their site it's 150/70-17 $222.00 110/80-19 $172.00 $394.00 = £250.96 http://www.advcycleworks.com/tires
Listed on ebay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-80-19...42?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43ade01f2a from roundandblack at £202.00 UK mainland delivery, although delivery to me in NI is £22.00 so makes them the same price as from the local tyre dealer..... bugger...:mad: i will be taking a pair with me.

what all these guys said except mossie head net essential!
got major attacked in wiseman (stayed with a great couple in a log cabin)
and when we tried to brew some tea on the perma frost in the brooks range
there was more mossies in the tea than in the air!
will try and find the name of the wiseman accomadation for you
cheers

this was the one!

http://www.arcticgetaway.com/index.html

Back
Top Bottom