View Poll Results: At what point/speed do you filter ? Mainly "A" road & Motorway Users

Voters
464. You may not vote on this poll
  • At any speed up to legal speed limit.

72 15.52%
  • If traffic is traveling at 0 - 30 mph

277 59.70%
  • If traffic is traveling at 30 - 50 mph

41 8.84%
  • Never filter - unless traffic at standstill

74 15.95%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filtering

Filtering

Mainly for the "A" road and Motorway riders.

Also interesting to see how much faster than the traffic you filter at ?
    I was on M4 couple of weeks ago and filtering at about 10mph faster than the traffic and had to pull in to let a guy "fly" past - he was filtering very slow moving traffic (20mph) at about 50mph

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If I can "safely" squeeze through I will, I try to switch in and out of the best lanes to avoid being between two vehicles as much as possible, but obviously when traffic is very slow / nose to tail / at a standstill this is not possible.

Tend to not go much faster than traffic, maybe 5-15mph more, it really depends on the situation.

I sometimes find you get a nice gap between two lanes and it is "safe" and easy to trickle down the middle, other times it seems like every car is conspiring to slow your progress.

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I only tend to filter if traffic is stopped or very slow moving.
    PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

I'll filter at anything up to 50 mph, can't see the point in anything more than that. I keep the differential down to about 10 mph. But it all depends on the road, traffic, weather, etc.
    07 BMW R1200GSA; 04 BMW R1150R

I was told by my RoSPA instructor to apply the 20/20 rule.

Only filter at 20mph more than the traffic is moving, and only up to your own speed of 40mph.

Even then it's down to personal judgement , 6th sense, etc.
    1150GS , Yamaha FJ1200. Moto Guzzi California 3.

Hard work filtering, lots of concentration required but very satisfying- ESP without the panniers

Filtering

I never filter unless in very slow or stationary traffic. If at speed when does filtering become undertaking?

I actually think filtering between stationary/slow moving traffic is more dangerous than when cars are moving at 40-50mph on mways and A roads. A frustrated driver is far more likely to suddenly lurch into another lane when travelling slowly

Also time and day of the week affects how fast/what risks I'll take, regular commuters will be used to bikes zipping by, the old cliche of Sunday drivers is never truer than when filtering on one of our congested motorways at the weekend, most feel very threatened by passing bikes and often react haphazardly.

At the end of the day there's little point in having a bike in this country if you don't filter, we all know it's potentially dangerous and we all have our own perceptions on what we feel safe doing. I often cringe when I see bikes squeezing between huge lorries in some of londons tunnels but I'll happily filter between evenly spaced cars during commuting hours at up to the speed limit. The trick is 100% concentration and never get blasé and you should be fine.

Make progress

Cars spoil my day. Make progress and get them behind you.When you get a nice 5 car overtake executed correctly its very satisfying. Filter everywhere, use the "right" hand side of the road on left handers. I always filter to the front of a que at traffic lights, pull in front of the car and give eye contact. Its not a request, I am here and making progress.
    May the road be very long & empty...with lots of twisty bits.

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Maybe it's a geographical thing?

If you live within the M25 it's probably a fact of life.

Elsewhere in the country the requirement to filter may be much less frequent?

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

What kind of a nancy survey is this?

The whole point of a bike is to avoid sitting in the same queue as the cage drivers, whether that queue is stationary or travelling.

I filter if I consider it's safe. That may be at 10 mph, it may be at 90 mph

If there's the option to white line I will do that as well

I filter at all speeds within the limits of the road but normally no more than 15mph above the speed of the other users.

Legally though (as you all probably know), Filtering is deemed at overtaking and as a sufferer of a low speed filtering accident a couple of years ago with witnesses in my favour, I still only got a 50/50 ruling because its legally viewed as a high risk manouvre.

Just keep that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    What kind of a nancy survey is this?
    Not intended to be a nancy survey - just a relatively inexperienced rider asking for the opinions of the more experienced. Ultimately I'll do what I feel comfortable with but as far as i'm concerned you never stop learning.

well if you do, don't blame car drivers if you get mashed up....car drivers are asleep most of the time, they won't really be looking for you if they themselves are stationary.

I filter but only in the path of least resistence, and slow up if I can see gaps opening up. Just incase one of cars thinks it wants to jump lanes

best of luck....

leaving aside the legality part of this (because i simply dont know) it can be done, very usefully if you have a long way to go in front of you
    My take is if vehicles are stopped do it very slowly and cover the brakes!!!! if vehicles are moving, do it very carefully I personally pack it in after about 40 mph cos the time saving is " imho" not worth the risk the previous post which mentioned "six sense" is just about spot on!!!!!!!!!!
    still no deid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    I only tend to filter if traffic is stopped or very slow moving.
    +1 ...
    Life is short.
    And random.
    That's all you need to know...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast