View Poll Results: At what point/speed do you filter ? Mainly "A" road & Motorway Users

Voters
464. You may not vote on this poll
  • At any speed up to legal speed limit.

72 15.52%
  • If traffic is traveling at 0 - 30 mph

277 59.70%
  • If traffic is traveling at 30 - 50 mph

41 8.84%
  • Never filter - unless traffic at standstill

74 15.95%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Filtering

Quote Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR View Post
    I was told by my RoSPA instructor to apply the 20/20 rule.

Only filter at 20mph more than the traffic is moving, and only up to your own speed of 40mph.

Even then it's down to personal judgement , 6th sense, etc.
    Yup. In my case it was 15/15. Seems to serve well in most situations.

Passing between lanes of moving traffic on the motorway at speed can be seen as riding without due care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Not intended to be a nancy survey - just a relatively inexperienced rider asking for the opinions of the more experienced.
    Didn't you get the memo? Sunday is reserved for old hand superstar riders. You'll offend them with your pesky questions. Back on your CB500 newbie. Show some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Ultimately I'll do what I feel comfortable with but as far as i'm concerned you never stop learning.

* * * * * * Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    What kind of a nancy survey is this?

The whole point of a bike is to avoid sitting in the same queue as the cage drivers, whether that queue is stationary or travelling.

I filter if I consider it's safe. That may be at 10 mph, it may be at 90 mph

If there's the option to white line I will do that as well

......thing I hate most in life is looking at the back end of a car......filtering is good in my book ......
    <a href=http://www.nomadbiker.co.uk target=_blank>www.nomadbiker.co.uk</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    If there's the option to white line I will do that as well
    What the hell is that?

David Lee
    I am always looking for a nice 'safe' space around myself when on the motorway. If that means moving from lane 1 to 2 or lane 3 to 2 then I do it. I always try not to slow down by breaking with the cars in lane 3 but move onto the white line or into lane 2.

I also filter up to around 75mph when I feel that traffic is moving slowly and cars are looking to change lane into a 'faster' stream of traffic.

I am also quite intolerant of cars that stick at 60mph in lane 2 and cause big queue's behind them.

As for ATT, I do understand that trucks are slower but need to make progress, including overtaking slower vehicles and make provision for this. As a rule truck drivers are far more aware of bikes than the average car driver.

Sports car (or sporty cars) are pretty good at looking in mirrors but the old favourite - women are mainly in a world of their own.

I hate transit and sprinter vans as their wing mirrors stick out miles

As for people on their mobile phones or sending texts (or reading newspapers whilst moving slowly in traffic jams), don't get me started !

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    As for people on their mobile phones or sending texts (or reading newspapers whilst moving slowly in traffic jams), don't get me started !
    That's what worrys me the most. On virtually any road, if you see a vehicle (usually a car) going much slower than traffic around it / wandering all over their lane (and sometimes outside it) / undergoing erratic speed changes, it's usually down to some shenannigans with a mobile phone, map, or newspaper.

Irritates the hell out of me and I try to get round them safely at the earliest opportunity. What we need is some form of Biker-styled superhero to banish all these phone pests...

Does anyone know if the Moogster's still in town?

not this again...

Do what you like and whatever makes you happiest to post about here.

Just remember that when it all goes wrong you're going to have to explain it to a police officer, you might also be in need of a dab of TCP and a plaster. Then you're going to have to draw some before during after pictures for your insurers.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What the hell is that?
    I think it can only be this:

or maybe, this:

or even, this, which is what happens if one's 'appropriate' judgement of the unbroken white line was not quite as astute as one thought:

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post

Those modern Harleys have come on a long way

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post

That's a line of blacks not a white line

David Lee
    Taken through the rear window of a trusty Defender, I think

Dancing with the Diavel Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What the hell is that?
    Could be this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2016 BMW R1200RTLC Iconic #26/100
    2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium #38/500
    2015 Ninja H2 missile
    2016 BMW M4 Convertable
    2014 VW Transporter T5 180 Sportline

Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

I think filtering is a judgement call -- some lanes are wider than others do you filter between 2 artics? yes if they both have seen you and move to give you the room same for a cop car most times they will move to let you pass then you have the apes that move just enough to close the door on you. In my opinion it is safe to filter and make headway (not progress). When you leave the lane that you are in or are constly moving between lanes you must take care and be 110% alert. Remember if you crash after getting past 5 miles of traffic there will be 100s of witnesses to your behaviour and many will be happy to step foreward as a witness. I filter all the time except when I am tired and cannot give it the concertation it needs. JJH

I....

will filter when I can, not more than 10/15MPH above traffic speed and always try to have another motorcycle a couple of seconds ahead of me, the first bike wakes the dozy car drivers up and then they are aware of bikes for a few seconds before they fall asleep again.....

Will filter to front of traffic lights but put one car in front of me so that he gets wiped out by the red light jumper.....

This is how one commuter does it, Say what you want, he can ride.

I recon he is pretty sharp to be doing this, I don't condone it but he is alive because he has very good reactions.
    You may want to make sure you are seated before watching. The last 3 mins are where its at.

Al.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/v...ute/#continued

Jeez 4.10 to about 4.45 is hard core

A bit like

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Rudiemoto filters like that, I had the unfortunate experience of riding pillion, I cried like a little girl..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast