Votes: 71 15.4%
  • If traffic is traveling at 0 - 30 mph

Votes: 275 59.7%
  • If traffic is traveling at 30 - 50 mph

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • Never filter - unless traffic at standstill

Votes: 74 16.1%

• Total voters
This is how one commuter does it, Say what you want, he can ride.

I recon he is pretty sharp to be doing this, I don't condone it but he is alive because he has very good reactions.
You may want to make sure you are seated before watching. The last 3 mins are where its at.

Al.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/video-moscow-motorcyclists-crazy-high-speed-commute/#continued

Who said 'there are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old bold riders??

I do filter, but prefer the odds to be (much more) in my favour !

Old, fat and still filtering at a speed that will make you Dayglo Dereks blush.

Whoever said there are no old, bold riders was a knut ;)

The Daily Filter

Commuting across the Smoke every day is more filtering than not.

When you are on the regular wage slave run most of the cagers at that time of day just want to get there without incident too, so general case is they make way rather than try and take the p***.

Biggest hazards are:

a) Lane switching cyclists who think no-one else filters but them.
b) Scooterists - as above
c) Lobotomised pedestrians who think nothing is coming from the right when they cross stationary traffic to the centre of the road.
d) Tourists doing U turns when sat-nav tells them there is a "quicker" way

Bugger

Old, fat and still filtering at a speed that will make you Dayglo Dereks blush.

Whoever said there are no old, bold riders was a knut ;)

Well I did say it, but I didn't say it originally- does that mean I'm a Knut or not??

Well I did say it, but I didn't say it originally- does that mean I'm a Knut or not??

Ask your mates. :nenau

If they say yer not a Knut then they're probably not mates, if they say you are they may be mates or they may hate you ;)

If you don't have any mates yer definitely a Knut :thumb

Bah!

Ask your mates. :nenau

If they say yer not a Knut then they're probably not mates, if they say you are they may be mates or they may hate you ;)

If you don't have any mates yer definitely a Knut :thumb

Wasn't mutley a dog (or was that bitch??)

:)

There is a big difference between "filtering", i.e. overtaking stationary or very slow moving traffic and "lane splitting/white lining", i.e. passing between two lanes of (relatively fast) moving traffic on a motorway or dual carriageway.

Filtering is legal. Lane splitting, at speed, in the UK is not.

There is a big difference between "filtering", i.e. overtaking stationary or very slow moving traffic and "lane splitting/white lining", i.e. passing between two lanes of (relatively fast) moving traffic on a motorway or dual carriageway.

Filtering is legal. Lane splitting, at speed, in the UK is not.

at what point does very slow moving traffic become relatively fast moving?

I was filtering along the Sydenham bypass coming out of Belfast midweek which was bunged more than usual. Turned out there had been a three car shunt in the overtaking lane. I did have to chuckle at the 12GS Adv rider who was stuck in the traffic as he had all his boxes on (presumably needed something to carry his lunch in) and couldn't filter at all. It was really hot too. :D

Too Filter.. or Not to Filter

I commute from Portsmouth to Chichester every morning at peak time on the A27. On the very odd occasion I travel by car I will join the 1 1/2-2 mile queue and frustratedly sit there for 10-15 mins, which is one of the reasons I travel by bike.
Have to say the GS isn't as good at filtering as previous Fireblade which responded almost before I thought, to turn, brake or accelerate (and was a little slimmer!).
Would say that I only filter between slow moving traffic, with my headlight on(dipped), covering my horn and brake when required and often find revving the engine periodically alerts dozey drivers rather well.(Believe too quiet exhausts are a health hazard)
Should admit that having watched the video of the Moscow Biker I'm not anywhere near as alert and quick reacting, or foolhardy, each to their own viewpoint I say, but have ridden large bikes for the past 30 years and covered approx 150k without serious incident, other than when I was rear ended, whilst stationary at a roundabout.
Always aim to make good progress and enjoy the journey, but not at the expense of others! ps. Was very interesting to read other viewpoints on here.

Completely unimpressed by "Moscow" rider, having just returned from there, a) he's a dick, b) what he's doing is not "filtering", and c) that isn't central Moscow rush hour. Looks like Saturday afternoon in the suburbs. On the other hand, I have seen some genuinely quick and nimble riding from Moscow bikers who don't feel the need to show off.

We had a great time doing a whistle-stop tour of all the major sights in one afternoon on two wheels, behind a bar-owning, trike-building, Moscovite on a three-wheeled Piaggio. Stripped the luggage off the 1200 and rode, in jeans and T-shirts, Moscovite-fashion, in between the tram lines, paying no attention to speed limits, running red lights, doing U-turns and filtering through stationery traffic at about 30mph ... with hazard lights going and hooting for cars and trucks to let us through. :thumb

Wouldn't dare ride like that anywhere else without a local guide ... was fun though! If anyone's going to Moscow, I can recommend a couple of great bars. Don't drink and ride though, Russia has a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol and driving.:eek:

Poll Options
At what point/speed do you filter ? Mainly "A" road & Motorway Users
At any speed up to legal speed limit.
If traffic is traveling at 0 - 30 mph
If traffic is traveling at 30 - 50 mph
Never filter - unless traffic at standstill

X - None of the above.

Commute through London every day, but anything over about 15 mph can result in being stopped for a word and massively increases risk.

Whitear says:
Biggest hazards are:

a) Lane switching cyclists who think no-one else filters but them.
b) Scooterists - as above
c) Lobotomised pedestrians who think nothing is coming from the right when they cross stationary traffic to the centre of the road.
d) Tourists doing U turns when sat-nav tells them there is a "quicker" way

I add:
e) stopped traffic (especially trucks & buses) letting somebody turn left/ right without checking their mirrors for oncoming bikes.
f) people pulling out (see e above) without checking for oncoming bikes. (Mate of mine has just trashed his MV Agusta & his thumb in a 5mph spill in exactly these circumstances)
g) pedestrian foreign tourists who look the wrong way
h) anything with "addison lee" written on it
i) any BMW over 5 years old never indicates (I know exactly where I'm going so no need to indicate syndrome)
j) Horse manure from mounted police
k) gravel dropped by lorries that always ends up in the middle of the road
l) London yoof walking straight out because they are so 'ard that a big feckoof bike won't hurt
m) people throwing lit fag ends out of windows / gobbing out of windows / pissing out of windows / opening beer cans out of windows
n) people handing out free copies of the sun in the middle of the road
o) people trying to play chicken with you filtering in the opposite direction, ie towards you when there isn't enough room for both of you.
p) Big issue sellers
q) School run mum trying to finish Tarquin's art homework and pack Fontelroy's packed lunch and do her makeup and organise lunch on the phone at the FerkinYummyMummy
r) Dogs jumping out of open car windows (seriously, it happens)
s) People running from the Fuzz
t) The Fuzz chasing after people
u) Squeegie bottle immigrants at traffic lights
v) Bike-jackers jumping on the back seat and telling you to get off of get stabbed (ok not so much in London)
w) dick'eds changing lanes using the "manoevre, signal, mirror" technique

I did have to chuckle at the 12GS Adv rider who was stuck in the traffic as he had all his boxes on

That old rubbish again. The width of the GSA boxes is about one inch more than the width across the widest part of the bike, i.e. the outer edge of the hand guards. The only real difference between filtering with or without boxes is to remember not to turn the bike until the back end has cleared narrow gaps.

Oddly enough the F800GS with boxes is substantially wider than a GSA - but that never seems to stop my wife going for the gaps.

Just come back from Bosnia last week and when following a couple of Italian bikes around stationary traffic we all got pulled over by local fuzz. Fortunately they got bored with checking docs after doing the Italians and walked away before discovering my wife had no Green Card!!

That old rubbish again. The width of the GSA boxes is about one inch more than the width across the widest part of the bike, i.e. the outer edge of the hand guards. The only real difference between filtering with or without boxes is to remember not to turn the bike until the back end has cleared narrow gaps.

A bit touchy there.....??? :augie That is true except the car isn't a uniform width from bottom to top. Roof is narrower than the waist of the car which gives that little bit more room to the handlebars so whilst the bars being the same height as the windows and rooves of cars are clear, the boxes being the same height as the waist of the car are not. :thumb

A bit touchy there.....??? :augie That is true except the car isn't a uniform width from bottom to top. Roof is narrower than the waist of the car which gives that little bit more room to the handlebars so whilst the bars being the same height as the windows and rooves of cars are clear, the boxes being the same height as the waist of the car are not. :thumb

You might find it's "mirrors" that are the widest part of a car..and they coincide with handlebar height...:D

Back
Top Bottom