Module 1 Test to change as of May16th

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, the DSA have listened and made some changes to the Mod1 test.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dsa/News.asp?id=SXF7BD-A783A660&cat=593

Main changes are all slow control exercises to be completed first so the candidate can show control of the bike before going onto the two speed maneouvres.

This is followed by a "controlled stop" with no minimum speed before doing the Emergency Stop to show sufficient control before going onto the avoidance maneouvre.

Flexibility in where the candidate stops after the avoidance exercise rather than the very precise blue box and an allowance of 5% on the speed i.e 2 kph below 50 kph.

Why ?

Was there a problem with the part 1 in the first place ?

I took it in Oct '09 (in the wet) and had no problems. :augie

I think it reads that the sequence is changing only ? This, I presume, is to allow examiners to fail someone before they get to do the harder bits rather than watch them come off the bike ? Why have a no minimum speed for the braking exercise ?

Is the reason for change driven by learners who thought it too hard or from riders who passed years ago who realise they couldn't do it themselves if asked ? :toungincheek

Isn't the test for something as potentially risky as motorcycling supposed to be a little challenging ?

Dave

My wife has just passed her part 1. Back in late October she failed for no other reason than going 2km too slow through the serve. The bad weather put paid to a retest until now. Had the new rules been in place she would of passed with only 1 minor. She actually thinks the test is on the whole a good thing however the alterations they have made allow the examiner to assess the capability of the rider before the swerve test and the tolerance over the speed and stopping place allows the student to concentrate on the swerve rather than worrying about the speed trap and stopping place, both good safety issues.
The swerve test on a 500cc most people reckon is relatively easier but the same cannot be said to doing it on an weedy 125cc bike. To attain the speed her bike was flat out in second. Not good .
The new test seems a good idea and should make things a bit safer while testing all the relevant skills required before moving on to the road test.

We're going to the test centre on thursday for training/info about the changes, let's hope it's worthwhile:)

We're going to the test centre on thursday for training/info about the changes, let's hope it's worthwhile:)

Tim, has this been offered by your local DSA examiners? We've not been offered the same facility in Birmingham; please post your thoughts and conclusions:thumb

Tim, has this been offered by your local DSA examiners? We've not been offered the same facility in Birmingham; please post your thoughts and conclusions:thumb

I'm guessing it was Mike, I was just told to meet up after work and get to the test centre so I'll find out a bit more and let you know what we collectively think of the changes.
My guess after re reading your link to the changes is they're for the better, whether it helps provide safer riders is of course questionable but may provide a safer and more reasonable test.

Being of little experience I'd be very interested to hear what experienced bikers and instructors think a realistic testing regime might consist of and why the current one seems to be so poorly thought of ......

A test to cover all the bases between a 17 year old road novice and a middle aged, long term car driver is actually a very tall order to fill .......

Dave

About time, not to fussed on most of the changes but the speed trap stopping was unnatural and viturally impossible on a 125cc.

Sounds a sensible tweak to me. I nearly managed to come off on a 125 demonstrating the exercise in the wet. Easy on the GS on the same day.

@Bury Dave - I think the test is pretty good now, but like all basic tests, it's at the start of your riding career. I'm one of those freaks that favour continuous re-assessment of driving and riding skills.

If anything, just like the car test (shouldn't be allowed to do this until 20 / 21), it is still too easy. If you can't complete the wobble round the cones easily then you shouldn't be allowed anywhere the road. It sounds like a sensible move though.

Just back from the test centre after having been briefed re. the changes to Mod1.

Seems to be a move for the better, all slow monouvers to be succesfully completed before any high speed, 'slow ride' now follows slalom and fig.8 but in other direction with examiner behind them. U turn.

A 'sighting run' around the bend at whatever speed the student chooses but with a controlled stop within 4 cones (best aim for 45kph+).

Ride bike around to face back up the course.

More tolerance (5%) with both high speed monouvers now and a slightly more relaxed controlled stopping area following the 'swerve test.

So 48 kph is now acceptable, just.
Assuming no other rider faults but the speed was say 45kph on first attempt, and if 2nd attempt is succesful, the first run will incur a rider fault (minor) for failure to make the speed.

That 5% tolerance puts it at very close to 30mph now:augiewhich is outside of European legislation...watch this space:D

About time, not to fussed on most of the changes but the speed trap stopping was unnatural and viturally impossible on a 125cc.

:confused:
We use YBR 125s, as long as there's 'some' corner speed in 2nd gear, nail it for 3rd there's no problem:thumb

Back
Top Bottom