Thread: Riding from London to Gentlemen's Weak End

Riding from London to Gentlemen's Weak End

A bit early to ask these type of questions but myself will be heading out the Friday morning towards Devon from Essex around the M25 and then to be decided which route to take.

Anybody else got some idea when they are heading out to an adventure weekend smelling of wee

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    if i get on the list, would be heading there in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    if i get on the list, would be heading there in the morning
    Just hack someone's account, say they not going and get on the list If you do will ride with you again Dave

I'm in plan to head there first thing on the Friday morning.

Touch base nearer the time to arrange hook up.

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe

The most direct ...

... but interesting route is the M3/A303/A30 then Honiton - Cullompton - Tiverton - Bideford and a twiddly bit at the end. About 4 brisk hours from the M25.

You could replace the A303 with the A30 all the way which is a little more scenic, but will take you about 30 mins longer.

The A4 corridor isn't bad, but you need to get past Slough with your eyes shut tight !
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oblertone View Post
    ... but interesting route is the M3/A303/A30 then Honiton - Cullompton - Tiverton - Bideford and a twiddly bit at the end. About 4 brisk hours from the M25.

You could replace the A303 with the A30 all the way which is a little more scenic, but will take you about 30 mins longer.

The A4 corridor isn't bad, but you need to get past Slough with your eyes shut tight !
    If going north from Tiverton, do not stay on A361 all the way to Barnstaple. It is dull, and very heavily policed due to many dangerous spots where road goes from two lanes to one and idiots speed up to cut in ahead of each other.
    Much better to head via South Molton then Great Torrington then Stibb Cross and signposted from there. South Molton is where James Sherlock is based so if you need any last minute bits you can call in provided you call him first. Road from South Molton to Umberleigh is perfect for airheads and can be enjoyed at 50 to 60 mph with no sharp braking Its just been resurfaced so now even better.

My son Crapaud Jnr will be riding across from Brighton and can arrange to meet up with others and show them the best roads in.

weekend

if you do the A4 route you could use my route for the west country from Swindon where I work.
    Hang a left at Avebury onto the A361 thru Devizes, Trowbridge, Shepton mallet then A27 thru to A303 for a bit, leave 303 for M5 at services near Taunton then back on A361 at jct 27 and follow as above.
    Dont bother pressing on thru Somerset via Glastonbury after Shepton Mallet as its too slow.
    I'll be doing this Fri afternoon

25 Mar 1949 - 10 Nov 2016 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    FFS I know I'm an old and cantankerous bastard
    BUT !! It's WeeKend not weak[as in infirm and lacking in taste]end. this is full strength real Ale and overstrength cider type WeeKend

get it right lads 'n lassies

Quote Originally Posted by Proff View Post
    FFS I know I'm an old and cantankerous bastard
    BUT !! It's WeeKend not weak[as in infirm and lacking in taste]end. this is full strength real Ale and overstrength cider type WeeKend

get it right lads 'n lassies
    Easy there Proffie, I thought everyone smelled of wee thus a weekend filled with airhead aficionado's "weak ends"

Dirk are you still heading there early on the Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by oblertone View Post
    And your nose as you pass various sewage farms.

SumpRat

And the Proff has subscribed again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Dirk are you still heading there early on the Friday?
    Does not have to be early will be on Friday though