Enduro at Slab Common

Crapaud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fantastic event this last weekend at the Hants Police Enduro near Portsmouth. We (me and son Martin) drove across from Devon on Saturday afternoon to find the course on military land complete with tanks etc. :)

Drove to Brighton on Saturday night to stay at son Martin's student digs at Sussex Uni. Early start on Sunday morning to get back to the course.

The organisers were very friendly and helpful. They asked if we had ridden at Slab Common before and we replied that we hadn't and we were both novice level. They informed us it was tough going as it was mostly in deep soft sand. "Have you ever ridden in sand" they asked. "Well does the Sahara Desert count? I've ridden in that!" :D "Yeah, that sounds like enough sand:)"

They started at 11.00 in mass group starts with us in the slowest Sportman B class. A few riders hit the deck during the hundred yard dash through deep sand to the first corner. I quickly remembered that the only way to ride deep sand is to give it loads of throttle, too slow and you get nowhere. Each lap was about 4.5 miles with a mix of sand and paths through thick woodland. Nothing too difficult technically but never anywhere to rest at all.

I had originally planned to ride to half time and pit after hour and half of three hour total but after just one hour I was knackered and needed a rest. I spent a while in the pits guzzling energy drinks to try to get some strength back and then refueled my KTM 300 EXC. The fuel consumption was alarmingly high due to me spending a lot of the lap wheel spinning struggling for traction. After about 10 minutes in the pits I saw son Martin coming around to complete his lap and catch me up. I had seen him crash on his first lap and used that situation to build up a good lead on him.:) He didn't look injured as I rode over him.:D

I left the pits convinced I could catch up with him and put in my fastest lap time but never saw him again during the race:(

I only had one big crash where I lost the front end in soft sand and somersaulted over the bars and nearly knocked myself out. After the second hour, I needed another pitstop for more fluids for me and the bike. Used all my fuel and just had enough for remaining laps.

Horrible grating noise coming from bike but impossible to see what was wrong as bike was caked in wet sand so just carried on. Was going to give up near the end but was determined to finish and get my finishers medal.:)

Totally utterly exhausted after three hours of hard racing but enjoyed it immensely. Martin had completed his last lap just 15 seconds after the 2.00pm finish so he just missed chance to get another lap in. We both managed 9 laps which put us 62nd and 63rd placed out of about 100 entrants. He beat me again as he completed his 9th lap before me but I did get a faster lap time than him. I suppose I have to accept that a 19 year-old should be expected to beat an old unfit overweight 48 year-old.

My rear wheel bearing had completely broken up and there was nothing left of it and the hub was damaged.:( My local dealer is rebuilding the wheel for me today.

Got some good pics of Martin in action:

205456_10150144966276555_724691554_7270092_2332555_n.jpg

196408_10150144966206555_724691554_7270089_7527198_n.jpg

Blimey I live about 1/2 mile away from Slab Common and I missed it. I usually walk over and have a gander.

I always look forwards to the Natterjack at local Weavers Down in September.

We also used to have a 24 hour army enduro here until a couple of years ago, where they rode their heavy old despatch bikes in teams.

We also used to have a 24 hour army enduro here until a couple of years ago, where they rode their heavy old despatch bikes in teams.

.....Called "Operation Enduring Help", probably a few of us on here used to ride it, myself included (all proceeds raised to military charities of course). Some of the best fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. :thumb2

A pity I didn't know about the riding at Slab Common this week Sid, I could have dragged my lad out for some fresh air to spectate.

I think I posted something about it a few months ago

there was an enduro school on friday that I fancied but couldnt make in the end

spent 12 years doing recovery training there with REME so know it well:thumb

I entered this race. Was brilliant fun...

Got the holeshot (between me and father(Crapaud)) and then dropped it on a technical bit after the guy infront stopped..

3 laps later i see my father right behind me going through the checkpoints and think he's coming round to lap me... 30 seconds into the lap i drop it for a few seconds and a few bikes go past and i['m convinced that he's lapped me so from then on i wasn't worried about beating him... Only found out after the race that the only reason he was right behind me was because he'd just come out of the pits... Sneaky guy...

Thought i'd broken my foot on like the 2nd lap when it nailed into a tree at about 30mph. Was stopped by the side of the route for 5 mins until a guy told me to just continue round the track to where the ambulence was anyway and then as soon as i got going i thought "i may as well finish... it'll still be broken at the end". A few days later and it's almost fine now. Just very badly bruised and nothing broken...

Need to do some enduro training like a school or something as i'm still getting my ass kicked by most of the field...

Nice photos of me in the OP. :D

Back
Top Bottom