Fat squaddy entered in Great North Run to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis Society.

AdamA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, that's me...

At the age of 38, having not run for 8 years through knee injuries, and dropped from 17.5 stone to 14 stone I decided to start running again from scratch last September. It's been a struggle as I'm still carrying injuries, but with perseverance I am getting there.
Now down to just under 13.5 stone I have set myself a goal of running the GNR this September and am asking YOU to sponsor me to get fit enough to do so.

PLEASE give generously at the following link.

Multiple Sclerosis Society

For info on the GNR, click the pic:

Have a pat on the back from me Adam.
I think yer feckin nuts, but respect, all the same.

I think I may be gaining as much weight as you are losing Adam (also due to bad knees). What's your weight loss secret ??

That MS is a cruel bitch of an illness.

Donation made, go run your arse off.

I think I may be gaining as much weight as you are losing Adam (also due to bad knees). What's your weight loss secret ??

That MS is a cruel bitch of an illness.

Donation made, go run your arse off.

Cheers Adam. Appreciated.:)

No secret mate.
You just need to watch what you eat.
Firstly eat as healthily as you can bare, but most importantly no matter what you eat, good or bad, monitor your intake to not eat too much of it.
Obviously doing some phys is a good idea too.
Easiest for me is http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/index.aspx, which has a great iPhone app, which is ideal for keeping tabs wherever you are.

It really IS as simple as eat less energy than you expend. If you aren't very active eat less....

Good Luck:clap:clap:clap, not that you'll need it. It is a superb run with lots of motivation and cheering from the roadside fans. IMHO much better than the London Marathon. Definitely something everyone should try once - the comaraderie is fantastic

Take it easy, pace yourself, don't get carried away and try for a fast start, remember the tortoise and the hare! Watch out for the last bit IIRC, it's a steep short downhill, left turn and a seemingly never ending treadmill of a run to the finish, and for some reason the wind is always in your face slowing you down as you run along the coast.

good luck mate,

I did the Silverstone Half last month and started running from scratch last October so know what determination it takes

do you have a target time yet?

No, not got a target yet.
I did an easy 10 mile XC run in 1:33 a couple of weeks ago, so under 1:45 is more than possible but I think there's plenty of room for improvement between now and then as I wasn't pushing it at all, and I am still losing weight...

My runs are currently 6m easy @ 08:20min/mi monday and friday, 4 miles threshold @7:50 min/mi Wed and 8 miles slow @9:20 min/mi on the weekend, so 24 miles a week.
I'm basically following a modified version of this training programme:
http://www.runningforfitness.org/bo...f-marathon/hm-training-programme-intermediate

I don't want to over do things pace wise tho, as the ligament damage I have means that when my legs are really tired my knees collapse inwards, so I need to run with some energy in reserve to stop that happening IYSWIM?

Thanks again everyone, as it is now up to £355 sponsorship, so I have upped my initial £300 goal to £500.

Please keep it coming. Whatever you can spare is really appreciated....

No, not got a target yet.
I did an easy 10 mile XC run in 1:33 a couple of weeks ago, so under 1:45 is more than possible

that's a bloody good time........

I was more than happy with my 2:17

must get my arse into gear and enter another race

that's a bloody good time........

I was more than happy with my 2:17

must get my arse into gear and enter another race

Well, I haven't done it yet.:D
Despite not running and putting on plenty of weight over the last decade I've kept active and an elliptical trainer in the gym to remain fairly CV fit. So its mainly leg strength and endurance I have lost but it's slowly coming back....

Money

I'll re invest some of you sargent seat money into sponsoring you. If you let me have your email address I will send something via Paypal Gift.

regards

Bob Barnett

Back
Top Bottom