BMW vs. Non-OEM supplied parts

(RIP) MScotts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before, and that it's put in this sub-forum... However, the thread's intended to be non-model specific...

My question are:

1. For doing DIY servicing; what's the consensus on using non-OEM/ BMW supplied service parts versus Dealer-supplied stuff (e.g. Oil & Air filters and spark-plugs)...?

2. If you do use non-OEM/ Dealer supplied bits, what brands of Plugs and Air & Oil Filters are worth buying, (which ones should be avoided) and where do you go (on-line or shop-bought) to get them...?

I realise some replies might be quite subjective, but it' will be good to get a feel for what's-what before I buy

Cheers :thumb2

-Andy.

I use a K&N air filter so don't buy new ones.

For plugs I use www.sparkplugs.co.uk but you could use any online retailer to buy the same grade of plug as those already fitted. Brembo brake pads.

Motorworks, Sherlocks etc sell all the service items you need at a good price.:nenau

I always use genuine BMW oil filters, not gonna talk about oil though it's already been done to death.:rolleyes:

I wouldnt run my bike on anyting except genuine BMW fuel. I know it's £10.99 per litre, but i have peace of mind that BMW recommend it.
I send my rims to Germany to have genuine BMW tyres fitted, and be certain they are filled with genuine BMW compressed air. That way I can be sure spurious ones are not fitted by a rogue dealer.
I am currently trailering my bike on a trailer to Germany since I won't risk using British air in it in case I invaldiate the warranty.

Myke

Cheers.... :)

I use a K&N air filter so don't buy new ones.....

I use K&N on the car but never thought to fit one to the bike :blast
I'll do a search in the F650GS (single-cyl) subforum to gauge what others have experienced having fitted one :thumb

Brake pads are fine, but I'll take a squint at that site for a sparker. Feedback on the different plug brands would be handy...

Motorworks, Sherlocks etc sell all the service items you need at a good price...

I've bought from Motorworks before and have them in-mind for service bits.
However, will appreciate pointers to other places worth looking at/ buying from, as well as non-OEM brands to either buy or avoid...

I always use genuine BMW oil filters, not gonna talk about oil though it's already been done to death...

Aye, I'm sure it has... :rolleyes:

it's all been done to death on here. you will get a myriad of opinions.

OEM service parts are not more expensive than a lot non OEM and in certain cases cheaper.

I use motorworks as i dont want to give BuMW more than i need too, which is nowt:D

Back
Top Bottom