Wapping's Wanders Three - Dijon - 15 July to 20 July

I feel much better now I know that someone else has had problems - I have spent hours getting these to download. They open fine in Mapsource and I have tweaked them a tiny bit to make sure that they have recalculated on my mapping. I then save them to my 660 but it only seems to accept 4 routes max and each time I load another it deletes one I have already loaded. I copied them all onto my SDHC card but then I can only find 4 or less on that even though I know they are all there! Eventually, I tried it with loading one route at a time then disconnecting the 660 between each one - that appears to have worked. I dare not touch the thing now in case I lose one !

I don't think it is a problem with Richard's routes - I suspect my 660 is misbehaving. I may have to have words with Garmin when we get back.

I feel much better now I know that someone else has had problems - I have spent hours getting these to download. They open fine in Mapsource and I have tweaked them a tiny bit to make sure that they have recalculated on my mapping. I then save them to my 660 but it only seems to accept 4 routes max and each time I load another it deletes one I have already loaded. I copied them all onto my SDHC card but then I can only find 4 or less on that even though I know they are all there! Eventually, I tried it with loading one route at a time then disconnecting the 660 between each one - that appears to have worked. I dare not touch the thing now in case I lose one !

I don't think it is a problem with Richard's routes - I suspect my 660 is misbehaving. I may have to have words with Garmin when we get back.

I have EXACTLY the same problem....

I can usually load multiple routes, often all from a single file, with no problem. But now just one or two appear. Load a third and one vanishes.

I can't see how it can be a problem with routes themselves. I gave up in the end, saving each route as a .gpx file and loading them to a data card, something I have never used before. I then have to import each individually from the card into the device. I can then select the route I want to import, click 'YES IMPORT' (or whatever it says)... The device then never moves beyond 0% imported and goes into a dull sulk. If I turn it off manually and restart, the route I had imported appears in Custom Rotes, so something happened.

A friend, preparing for a separate trip to Yorkshire, called me last night as he is having the same issues with his 660 and routes he has created for his own jaunt on his own PC.

I suspect a software glitch in the last round of updates.

If I have a chance I will speak to Garmin.

Hey-ho, the trials of exotic travel :D

Richard

Yup - Have had that same problem as well.....

I have considered popping my laptop in to the pannier for some mid-trip route loading, but fear that it has the potential to convert a fun evening in to a tedious one.

I called Garmin and spoke to a carrott.

She understood the problem, at least.

She suggested first deleting the temp .gpx file, which I will try.

I will then try a system re-set.

If it doesn't work I will send her the routes etc.

Here is a copy of the email she sent me.

Richard

Dear Garmin Customer,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Please can you perform a master reset?

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or Favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your Favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.
1. Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index
finger or the eraser end of a pencil
3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the
screen then power the unit ON
4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
o You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
6. Touch Yes*
The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

It would also be worth deleting the temp.gpx file from your Garmin.

Go to Start
Go to Computer
Click the Garmin Drive
Click the Garmin Folder
Click the GPX Folder
Delete the Temp file.

Please try and load routes to see whether the issue still persist, if so, please attach the routes your attempting to send across so we can test it here.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Kerrie Carrott

Garmin Europe Mailto: ProductSupport@garmin.com

I have the luxury of a spare 660..... So I am going to try it out on that one first :eek:

I always back my Favourites anyway, so that bit is OK.

I will start with excising the temp .gpx folder, first. Then, if necessary, do a full re-set.

Now i know why i didn't invest in a Zumo :D

Must add it to my "bucket list" :D along with a GS.....

I'm a big fan of the drop off systems:thumb

Last day at work today, so see all on Friday

Dave

Now i know why i didn't invest in a Zumo :D

Must add it to my "bucket list" :D along with a GS.....

I'm a big fan of the drop off systems:thumb

Last day at work today, so see all on Friday

Dave

You'll be pleased to hear that I called the hotel yesterday and made sure they had changed from a double to a twin room.:thumb2

OK - I've recreated the first route using the waypoints from Richard's route, and then transferred it to the 660.

When I then switch on the 660 I get the message to say that the route was created in a different version etc....Do I want to recalculate:blast

So, I'm now doing a full map update/reinstall on the 660 and the PC to make SURE they are in sync.

Then I'll recreate the waypoints from the co-ordinates and then recreate the route.

Then see how it goes.......

Although I am hoping that the estimating for the maps download is incorrect, as it's saying 100 hours at the moment......

What I should have said is that before I tried this I did a full reset and delete as per Jasper's instructions and it made no difference whatsoever.

Glad that hasn't taken long..........

OK - with maps all updated and route recreated it loads on to the 660 just fine.

Only problem is that I've only got to St Omer so far.............

Glad that hasn't taken long..........

OK - with maps all updated and route recreated it loads on to the 660 just fine.

Only problem is that I've only got to St Omer so far.............

If you are tracing over the routes, have you tried:

Open Mapsource in two windows.

In the first window open one of the Dijon trip routes.

Go to Route Properties.

Go to Via Points.

Copy them all.

Go to the second window.

Create a dummy route a mile long.

Go to Route Properties

Paste the via points from the Dijon route in. The route will now appear in the background as series of straight lines on the map, joining your dummy route to the Dijon route.

Delete your dummy route's via points.

Click OK

The route will recalcualte and should (fingers crossed) update itself in the new map.

Have a go..... You can't break it :beerjug:

Well, I too have now tried Ms Carott's fixes, without any joy. So, I have sent her the 11 routes on the one file so Garmin can have a go, too. What fun :bounce1

Depending on what they say, I may go down to see them in the flesh sometime. On the whole they are not bad bods and quite helpful.

In the meantime, I am now updating the maps on a very small PC (estimated time 200 hours, which must be bollox :eek:) which I will bring as a very tedious back-up if something goes wrong...... assuming it really isn't 200 hours, in which case it will be finished after we come back :D

Well, I too have now tried Ms Carott's fixes, without any joy. So, I have sent her the 11 routes on the one file so Garmin can have a go, too. What fun :bounce1

Depending on what they say, I may go down to see them in the flesh sometime. On the whole they are not bad bods and quite helpful.

In the meantime, I am now updating the maps on a very small PC (estimated time 200 hours, which must be bollox :eek:) which I will bring as a very tedious back-up if something goes wrong...... assuming it really isn't 200 hours, in which case it will be finished after we come back :D

Last night mine went from 100 hours to 400 hours and took about 4 in the end.

And that's on a crappy Virgin Media "8 Mb" cable broadband that grinds to a halt after 6pm :blast

Yes - I've tried copying the waypoints as suggested above with the only variation being that if you simply select -->edit-->new route you avoid having to create your 1 mile dummy route.

The outcome was that I get a route in Mapsource which seems to be identical - no surprise there. When this is transferred to the 660 it seems to magically morph. The 660 is giving no error, and no indication of recalculation however.......

Ibis St Omer to Ibis Dijon as an example.

In mapsource - 326 miles and 7hrs 13.33
On 660 - 333.2 miles and 6hrs 16mins

(both of which seem to differ from your times)

If I preview the routes on the 660 the general route seems to look identical, but at a high level. It's only 7ish miles difference, but shouldn't be!!!!

I've even tried taking the GPS co-ordinates of the via points and converting them in to waypoints and then recalculating the route - same effect.

I'm now fairly certain that the route is actually correct, but a bug in either mapsource or on the 660 is miscalculating the distance/time which is what is leading to the differences between devices.

I agree with what you are finding, too :thumb2

Just of late, I have spotted some huge variations in the times / distances displayed in Mapsource on the PC and what arrives on the device.... It's a real mystery and one that I do want to sort out....

I made another route which I know takes about three hours to ride..... Mapsource on the PC said five hours!.... the route displayed on the 660 said, 3 hours 20 minutes. I can live with the 20 minute variation in prediction, that is fine but two hours.... ?????

I will take it up with Garmin sometime. I wonder if it is a variation on a glitch they had about two or three years ago, when Mapsource was predicting it taking 10 seconds to do 100 miles on some roads, resulting in ludicrously short journey time estimates.

====

I think the Garmin download server is playing up. My broadband bopoms along, but is falling to snail p,,,,,,a,,,,,,c,,,,,,e when it tries to download a map update. In the past, it usually takes about two hours in full to make a full map update download, which is not bad....

But, If I start downloading today the broadband speed as a whole drops to zero and the modem goes into overload.... if I pause, the download speed jumps right back up again. Tres odd.

Guys,
Blimey you seem to be having all the fun in the planning of this jaunt with the Garmin :D

I will stick with my motorcar tom tom 740 and transfer this over to bike, as I can just about switch it on.......

See you all tomorrow at St Omer.

Graeme :thumb

Hi all, I am very interested to read of the 660 problems.
I am doing a long trip on Friday and have been having all sorts of fun and games up loading routes into the 660.

First started in April when the rotes went to straight lines and lost all voice comands. - Read on tinternet that a software update would sort it. Did the 4.2 (latest) update and it started to work again.

However all the routes that Dazchallenge had done for this big trip went to straight lines!

Re did all the routes last week but had a hell of a job getting them to load. Had to do one at a time and switch on the 660 to normal operation and agree to convert the file to the current mapping before it would show in the routes list.

They are all in now and seem to be working. However I will be taking all my maps!

Hope you have a good weekend - cheers, Dave

Start my journey in 2 hours :bounce1

Hoorrah! Toot! Toot!

Rasta+Baboon2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom