Wapping's Wanders Three - Dijon - 15 July to 20 July

Wapping

Reaction score
This jaunt is a goer.

The plan:

A late afternoon train over to France on Friday 15 July. Then a hotel around St Omer. This will give us some spare time on Saturday morning.

Saturday 16 July. Ride down to Dijonish sort of area, roughly halfway down France. Probably a bit of motorway at the start, then N and D roads.

Sunday 17 July thro' Tuesday 19 July, the chance to ride many of the great roads around the Dijon / Cote d'Or area.

Wednesday, 18 July back home in one hit, catching a late afternoon train.

I have not booked any hotels yet, nor my train tickets.

From an earlier thread I had interest from: Dakar and Yorkie (I will PM you both)

From Saturday's ride I have interest from: Jed and ChasMill (maybe with sons. Both good lads).

From another site, I have interest from another bod.

I make that five bikes plus me, six. I can probably take another two bikes, eight in all. First come, first served. Please let me know via this thread.

Pillions welcome.

Hotels? Depending on final numbers, I will go for either a Logis or one of the chain hotels, like an Ibis.

This will be a 'riders' type trip, so some reasonably long (250 mile plus) days / decent mileages but it won't be a race all day, everyday. We will run the 'marker drop-off' system. Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorcycle. There will be no off-road sections, so nothing you could not do on a FireBlade or a GS or a pushbike.

I will do up Mapsource routes / suggestions for each day, though bods are free to do much as they like.

Richard

Be good to have you along, JB :thumb2

Train out £27
Train back £36
That is if we book them today. I may well do, once I have had a better look at the times.

If we go for an Ibis, with a shared room each, £67 between two = £33.50 each and a bit for breakfast etc. etc. That is for the night in St Omer on the Friday.

In Dijon, if we went for an Ibis in the centre of town, shared room, it is again about £67 a night, divided by two.

I would normally go for a Logis hotel, which would I guess add about 25% to the cost, perhaps.

BUT:

(a) I realise that spare cash is probably not particularly high in everyone's wallets.

(b) We will, I hope, be doing some reasonably big mileages on some truly great roads..... ie. Going to ride a motorbike, not to stay in a hotel per-se.... and fuel per mile / general running costs are not as cheap as they once were, and central France is not as cheap as the mass of alpine hotels one can find.

(c) We are quite a big group, which can make small hotel booking tricky. The Logis place I had hoped to use is full already.

(d) Being in a big city like Dijon should enable everyone to find restaurants that suit us all. Cheap and cheerful suits me.

So, with all that in mind, I suggest we all cut our cloth accordingly:

Train out and back. But if anyone wants to go on the ferry that is fine with me. Just get their hides to St Omer by say 19:00 if possible.

We go for an Ibis (or similar) in St Omer and Dijon.

We eat / booze out wherever it suits everyone.

I did this when I took a bunch of Tossers down to the Cote d'Or a couple of years ago. It was fine and certainly good enough to have a bit of fun without going too mad.

In short, let's make it work for everyone. :thumb2

Richard

Hi Richard,

I really fancy this.

I would only bring the boy if Chas was bringing Rory, also the schools don't break up till the following week.

rgds
Jed

OK, that's OK..... It's been a long time since I was at school :blast

I am not sure if ChasMill might not try to swing it as 'educational excursion'.... :augie

Dakar, from Cavan in Ireland, has reconfirmed. My geography of Ireland is very poor but I tracked it down. There are some amazing place names there.

I will crack on and sort the train times out.

Richard

I have booked my train ticket:

Departure

Friday 15 July 2011

Departure time 16:20

£35

Returning

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Departure time 18:20

£36

====

Hotels next.

I am not sure if ChasMill might not try to swing it as 'educational excursion'.... :augie

It appears Rory will be on a school excursion that week to Hindhead, returning at some stage on the Friday. Doubtful that his mother would let him attend and he wouldn't return to Essex until the afternoon anyway.

It appears Rory will be on a school excursion that week to Hindhead, returning at some stage on the Friday. Doubtful that his mother would let him attend and he wouldn't return to Essex until the afternoon anyway.

That clears that up :thumb2

Are you still up for it Charlie?

OK - it'll just be me then, need to confirm in next day or so if thats ok.

Runners and riders

Definites :thumb2

Wapping
Dakar

Provisional :nenau

Yorkie
ChasMill
JED
Bod from another site

Enquiry merchants :D

JB

Booked

I have booked my train ticket:

Departure

Friday 15 July 2011

Departure time 16:20

£35

Returning

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Departure time 18:20

£36

====

Hotels next.

Chunnel booked :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

I'm a definite yes.
Chunnel now booked.
Peter

Runners and riders

Definites :thumb2

Wapping
Dakar
Yorkie

Provisional :nenau

ChasMill
JED
Bod from another site
Robin

Enquiry merchants :D

JB

Right ho, I now have some good routes and possible rides mapped out.

I will tidy them up and post them after the Easter break.

Back
Top Bottom