Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Workshop jobs

25 Mar 1949 - 10 Nov 2016 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
    Drive shaft splines, now there's an idea....

I may even bring down the sonic tank for some carb cleaning if needed..

Quote Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR View Post
    carb cleaning. My 100RT is prone to stalling when puling away, I thought I read somewhere that it's down to err "something" being blocked?
    I bet you've still got the stupid white pipes in the intake tubes

It looks like there will be 2 Electric lifts this year, as I've accquired another one being as Sid wouldn't let me have the first one back

Also 2 full hydraulic lifts and 2 possibly 3 hydraulic scissor type scissor type...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Confirmed that we now definitely have four bike bench/lifts. Two manually pumped up ones and two super duper electric ones so plenty of space for working on lots of bikes over the weekend. Workshop is now better equiped than most bike shops in this area. I should have enough decent tools to go around so no need to bring tools with you. I've extended the work surface all around and fitted three new vices. We've got two compressors and air tools for the stubborn nuts.

Bought myself a sand blasting kit recently and given it a try. A bit messy. Managed to sand blast my carb tops, my arms, my forehead and every other exposed part of my body. I might need to modify the area a bit before it is used again.

If there is anything specific that anyone will need then let me know, but I think we have most things covered.

bit worried about the stubborn nuts, name and shame!
    Climate is what you hope for, weather is what you get!

Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR
    carb cleaning. My 100RT is prone to stalling when puling away, I thought I read somewhere that it's down to err "something" being blocked?

1150GS , Yamaha FJ1200. Moto Guzzi California 3.

I should change this Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR View Post
    Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR

Inside the airbox. The ones from the engine oil breather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Then I remembered. He doesn't ride a GS. Therefore he aint at the sharp end of Dudeness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    'Where there's offence, there's brass'

Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey001 View Post
    Inside the airbox. The ones from the engine oil breather.
    YUP
    They drip an emulsion like fluid right into center hole in carb entrance.
    Bastard useless fecking things

Coming along nicely

My NEW Lift

Sids RS is looking Good :@thumb2

Nice rocker covers

Size 11.5 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hope no-one trips over that loose carpet
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Illegitimis nil carborundum

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-H View Post
    Hope no-one trips over that loose carpet
    With all the doddery old fecks about if one goes they'll all go, it'll be like a full strike in a bowling alley
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    With all the doddery old fecks about if one goes they'll all go, it'll be like a full strike in a bowling alley
    Reminds me of the incident last year when one drunken idiot crashed the unicycle into the table and sent drinks, glasses, food etc flying everywhere.

I would have banned the idiot from this years event but I have to be there.

On a more serious note.

Ultra Sonic Carb Cleaning

I met a chap at a recent Auto Fair who does Ultra Sonic Carb Cleaning and charges £20 per carb or two for £35. He offered to attend the Wee'kend and clean carbs on site.

Instead, I have invested in an Ultra Sonic cleaner myself. I'll give it a try with all of the airheads in the workshop at the moment and get the hang of it during the next week. Don't know yet how long it takes but I think we should be able to do a fair few bits and pieces.

It will be available for use over the wee-kend and won't cost you £35 per pair of Bings (or whatever else you may have fitted). A few quid in the charity pot and everyones a winner

Hello, I need to replace the my steering head bearings in my G/S, and just wondered if this is to big a job to do at the Wee-Kend? I have the bearings, c-spanner etcetera... though no idea how to get the old ones out without causing serious damage, to either myself or the bike Could do with some guidance

It's due an MOT this week, and my father and I have adjusted them as best we can for that though they are pretty notchy. Taken the play out and the steerings stiff, so not terribly pleasant.

Looking forward to it either way

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin M View Post
    Hello, I need to replace the my steering head bearings in my G/S, and just wondered if this is to big a job to do at the Wee-Kend? I have the bearings, c-spanner etcetera... though no idea how to get the old ones out without causing serious damage, to either myself or the bike Could do with some guidance

It's due an MOT this week, and my father and I have adjusted them as best we can for that though they are pretty notchy. Taken the play out and the steerings stiff, so not terribly pleasant.

Looking forward to it either way
    I have replaced the steering head bearings on my 80/7, just make sure you have all the parts required, not sure if the GS is the same but there is a thin metal cup washer under the lower bearing which is easy to damage when removing the bearing, so may be a good idea to have one to hand, also spanner for fork top and head nuts, 32mm on the 80/7 or is it 36 whichever I have one. Small holes can be drilled in the frame headstock and the bearing punched out through these holes, or a bead of weld with a stick welder around the inside of the outer bearing surface to shrink it out.
    Whatever you do there will be plenty of help and much more expertise than I have to hand .

Quote Originally Posted by PW Cymru View Post
    Nice rocker covers
    It looks like they have been swopped Left-for-Right. As they are the bright lines on the covers slope too much front-to-back. There's an L or an R marked in the groove in the cover under where the plug leads go IIRC.
    Johnefyn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123