Canada Heights Wobbler - Easter Monday Pics.

Grizz

EXCITED MEMBER...!!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Jon, Chris, Pete and myself went off to Canada Heights today, it is right next to Brands Hatch race track, and kind of tucked in between J3 of the M25 and M20 motorways.

P1010745.jpg

Firstly a bit of history copied and pasted.

CANADA HEIGHTS
The course at Swanley, Kent known as Canada Heights, acquired its name during the 1914-18 War when a large contingent of Canadian troops were camped there on the high ground. It has, however been in regular use for off-road motorcycle sports for many years, and by the Sidcup and District Motorcycle Club since 1948.
Over the years, the circuit has hosted many events, from Club level to International status. It drew large crowds and national television coverage with the BBC "Grandstand Trophy" events during the 1960s.
Despite its popularity and regular use by riders and spectators alike, it still remained just a rough piece of land for motorcycling until 1985, when the Sidcup Club bought it with the aid of a Sports Council grant and sponsorship from companies and individuals. Once purchased, the Club members set about transforming the whole area. Access roads were laid to improve entry for spectators; the tangled undergrowth was cleared to provide better parking and viewing. Then the exciting new track was created. During the recent years, the land has been dramatically improved, but never at the expense of the beautiful countryside and wildlife. Further land at the rear of the site was recently purchased and in 2010 a storage barn was built to accommodate the ground maintenance equipment. The land has been properly managed, with many new trees planted as the Club continues to develop the "South’s Most Spectacular Circuit".
Canada Heights
canadaheights2003.JPG

Above : The track at the 2003 Early Birds (Photo by Andy Burt) Canada Heights
canadaheights2000air.JPG

Above : The track from the air at the 2000 Early Birds

The Sidcup Club is extremely proud of its asset and encourages its use by the Police for officers motorcycle training, walkers, horse riders, the Scouts, mountain bikers and others who love the countryside but are not involved in motorcycle sport. The track itself is spectacular and demanding. It brings out the very best in moto-cross riders allowing them to use every ounce of riding and athletic skills. Its popularity is seen by full entry lists for all our events and good crowds to see the action.

Today was also a Superbike meeting at Brands Hatch, and I panicked, thinking all the Zillions of cars and bikes would mean a long wait to get in to the track..... naaahhhh, the Police had it covered and over-rode the traffic lights sensibly and got the traffic off the M25 fast and efficiently.
Huge Bonus points for sensible policing again.

Clearly horsepower still rules in the lanes. Took a while to get a spot to overtake.

P1010715.jpg

Once registered I walked about and took some pics of the old skool stuff, which is pretty much what you are getting to day.
Being a Wobbler, I did not take the camera out on the sections, so just trust me when I say the 15 sections were great, with space for White and Red routes. There was also enough obstacles for the experienced guys to play about.

Before we took off, Jon was in hysterics as a Hornet had made itself comfortable in Pete's pants, zapping him on the butt. Bloody big and aggressive bugger he was too, leaving Pete whimpering. ( I would have called the medics in, had it been me)

I have XL size hands/gloves to give perspective.

P1010736.jpg

Right, on to some good stuff. No comments needed .

P1010716.jpg

P1010717.jpg

P1010718.jpg

Immaculate Impulse Buy.

P1010719.jpg

P1010722.jpg

P1010720.jpg

P1010724.jpg

P1010725.jpg

P1010726.jpg

P1010727.jpg

P1010728.jpg

P1010731.jpg

P1010739.jpg

P1010740.jpg

Lastly, a pic of Lebowski's WANT ! ! ! face. Beta Evo envy.

P1010743.jpg

All in all, another great day, great company, and loads of guidance and encouragement from the guys, thanks.
The old guard, including Dick who set us off and has been riding 67 years were typically helpfull and full of advice.

Now time for a Brandy and Pepsi Max, I think it is deserved.

Still like the Ossa MAR, I had shit loads of Bultaco's and when you ride the 350 today you wonder how you ever managed, Big mart Lampkin could do what seemed like anything on his 350 back in the day. cheers for the pics;)

Did you compete Grizz?, how did you get on!

Did you compete Grizz?, how did you get on!

As Rian will be far too hard on himself, I'll answer that one....

For his third time out (second wobbler) I thought he did very well. Bike problems meant he retired early, but given his learning curve I think he'd have come home with more cleans than dabs on a third lap.

As I well know it's easy to expect too much too soon, so a summer of riding trials and practising will easily see him doing the harder route at the next Sidcup Wobbler.

Jon (Evo Envyer)

:)

Excellent:thumbkeep it up Grizz, ive been trials riding for a couple of years, learn something new everytime, sometimes good sometimes bad but its great to spend a few hours in the frsh air with like minded people, keep em up:thumb

As Rian will be far too hard on himself, I'll answer that one....

For his third time out (second wobbler) I thought he did very well. Bike problems meant he retired early, but given his learning curve I think he'd have come home with more cleans than dabs on a third lap.

As I well know it's easy to expect too much too soon, so a summer of riding trials and practising will easily see him doing the harder route at the next Sidcup Wobbler.

Jon (Evo Envyer)

:)

Thanks Jon, you are being very generous with your praise, but if feels good. Thanks.

Retiring meant being home early, and able to carry on welding, till the welder retired too, which followed a brand new angle grinder not wanting to work, so a weekend of retirements.

Thankfully the guys have been massively supportive and helpfull to me.

I think that with the bike at 100% there may be a 5% improvement in my riding, but not much more than that :D

P1090296.jpg

Excellent:thumbkeep it up Grizz, ive been trials riding for a couple of years, learn something new everytime, sometimes good sometimes bad but its great to spend a few hours in the frsh air with like minded people, keep em up:thumb

Ferret, you are so right..... those few hours of fresh air and like minded people is massively therapeutic.

My wife is very good to me, and I am overly considerate (not that I don't still cock it up regularly) but I did not realise how much I missed this sort of "free time" until I hooked up with these guys.

Looking forward to doing a clear round one day.

Looking good!! :thumb2

We use Canada heights for our off road refresher training. Good venue :thumb

(Not sure about the Brandy and Pepsi though ...... :barf :D)

Back
Top Bottom