Home made PTT for my Autocom Super Pro AVI

644andy

Reaction score
Hi all, if anyone's interested:
Switch from e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_2052wt_907
Along with a pair of 5 pin dins from Maplins & some 4 core flex and 2 core flex.
Carefully dismantle the switch and it can be re-soldered to the 2 core flex and waterproofed with silicone sealant, it switches terminal 3 to put the signal onto terminal 5 as well. Before final assembly of the 5 pin din's they were filled with silicone sealant.
Trying the switch by the left indicator switch, works well for me here so may fit it in the switch gear.
I hate the autocom switch, can't seam to fit it anywhere that is comfortable to use, this works for me :)

Attachments

• PTT Int 002.jpg
    PTT Int 002.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3,086
  • PTT Int 001.jpg
    PTT Int 001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,448
  • PTT Int 003.jpg
    PTT Int 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,144
  • PTT Int 004.jpg
    PTT Int 004.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,233
Love it!

Fancy knocking one up for me?

I'd happily cross your palm with silver so to speak?:beerjug:

cheers for this I was looking to do something similar :)

Just a quick query, do you have the original PTT switch ? does it not have a resistor in line with the switch ?I rememeber seeing something a few years back someone did a similar thing but they had a in-line resistor to control the load or such like but I'll be fecked if I can find it again.

Hi Roddy, tested my autocom lead, no resistors in it for PTT mode. I am using the autocom lead to connect my midland G7 radio, have not not looked into that as i don't need to change it. It's only the fact that i was always hitting the PTT/VOX/on switch and i hate mounting the complete switch assembly on the grip that pushed me into this. Its the only fault I've had with the two autocom analogue systems I run, they're grrrrrrr-eat (in your best Frostie's add voice).

Sorry, forgot to add, the Maplins 240 degree 5 pin din socket is part number HH28F for the male, can't find the female part at the moment but it's the partner to the male.

Brilliant thanks - I've got a bracket and PTT switch from the police RT that should wire in with that delightfully :)

A.

I ran a non OEM PTT switch directly back into the Autocom box and spliced it into the red mic line coming out of the white rider's connector there - saved faffing with DIN plugs

Stuck the switch on the round knurled clutch adjuster as Ebbo did

Tried the clutch span adjuster, great spot apart from my fast idle lever took the switch off every time i pulled the clutch in, hence it's now on the switchgear.

Is the switch itself waterproofed? Been looking for one to put on the clutch adjuster rather than switchgear but they all seem to be a bit tall, particularly when using muffs.

Waterproof

The switch was sealed with silicone, so if i've done it right, should be waterproof. Gently carve off velcro backing with sharp knife and ease round the back edge to dis-assemble the switch. Hope the pic helps.

Attachments

• PTT INT 005.jpg
    PTT INT 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,285
The switch was sealed with silicone, so if i've done it right, should be waterproof. Gently carve off velcro backing with sharp knife and ease round the back edge to dis-assemble the switch. Hope the pic helps.

Brilliant, thanks, the top is rubber then, i thought it might be plastic moving up and down in the outer casing which would be more difficult to seal.

Cheers for that.

Greetings,

I am considering making one of these, but if someone can do it for me I am happy to pay for one ready made. :augie

Cheers,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom