New box needs cushioned lining...

Repoman

Reaction score
Just bought and fitted a Touratech Zega top box (which looks just dandy I reckon).

Things is I reckon it needs lining to cover up the nuts securing the base plate, and to generally make it a bit of a snugger and less punitive environment in which to insert my helmet.

Any ideas where I could get some high density foam sheeting suitable for lining it with? I'm talking about the type of stuff that you might find lining an aluminium camera case. (Doh! maybe a camera shop can help!)

Any ideas peeps?

They sell the stuff you are looking for here in Notts. Its 3mm sticky backed rubber neoprene. Not cheap but superb stuff. Sold by Tennant Rubber company. When I had my H&B panniers I lined both of then with it. Sticks like s£!% to a blanket. IF you or anyone else is interested I can go and get some prices. Think I let BHT have some for the exact same purpose.

or if your anywhere near a surf shop...they wrap surfboards when they get them delivered in thinner foam and they just throw it out, so ask nicely

The Underlay placed under Laminated wood flooring may do the job.....

Some at a £1 a meter....Cheap as chips...:D

CC

:cool:

coolcarbon said:
The Underlay placed under Laminated wood flooring may do the job.....

Some at a £1 a meter....Cheap as chips...:D

CC

:cool:
Best suggestion so far - have borrowed Grizz's Zegas which is lined with sticky back neoprene, nice but sheeze how heavy are they now :yikes I may just try this astute suggestion and hope I don't overfill the bags :D

Foam

Rogers Foam Ireland Ltd. They are foam fabricators (dont ask) Jamestown bussiness park... nice and near you.The boss is a mate of mine and should have plenty of off cuts to suit you.

:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

Foam sheet

Hi Repoman,

Try your local fabric wharehouse (I was tricked into going a while ago, as it is next door to Halfords!)

Our local fabric wharehouse (Dunelm Mill) sells sheets of foam in loads of different thicknesses - from memory, ranges from 5mm to 100mm, as it's probably intended for upholstery. Very cheap, and easy to cut with a good pair of scissors.

I've used it for two topboxes so far, to stop my lock rattling around and to cushion my laptop.

Steve.

Tool box liner

Halfords sell rolls of tool box liner for ................. lining tool boxes, but would be suitable for your intended purpose.

Well having digested the advice in the preceding posts I was confined to barracks today and was able to go out and fettle on the garage and enjoy an evo stick fest.....

Confining materials to that which was already in the garage I was able to run up the following number.

Tuned In's initial suggestion of camping mats as a foundation has allowed for the creation of a versatile but very wearable box lining subtly elegant in this seasons colours of deep green and anthracite. Worn against the raw aluminium and lightly perfumed by Evo-Stik this makes for a very contemporay look.

Attachments

• lining.jpg
    lining.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 97
The lightly riffled surface welcomes any helmet and protects against unsightly chafing.

And it is a perfect fit for my Tour X

Attachments

• arai.jpg
    arai.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 94
And while I was there I fitted the locks. Easy with the supplied template and a couple of files.

Sorry about the rain in the picture.

Or maybe its not the rain...

maybe the the aluminium is crying at me again

Like it did when we were...

together....

Sorry, where was I?

Attachments

• lock detail.jpg
    lock detail.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 94
Repoman said:
Well having digested the advice in the preceding posts I was confined to barracks today and was able to go out and fettle on the garage and enjoy an evo stick fest.....

Confining materials to that which was already in the garage I was able to run up the following number.

Tuned In's initial suggestion of camping mats as a foundation has allowed for the creation of a versatile but very wearable box lining subtly elegant in this seasons colours of deep green and anthracite. Worn against the raw aluminium and lightly perfumed by Evo-Stik this makes for a very contemporay look.

i won, i won, i won. he picked my idea :p :p :p

p.s. did you not do the lid?

Back
Top Bottom