A sort of ride report

rce

Reaction score
This is sort of a ride report, and review of my Caberg HyperX, and my thoughts on the G650GS.

The excuse was that my wife’s G needed running in and we need to get the seat altered before she can ride “Gretchen”, the first service is booked so…

My wife asked for a photo for her Facebook page in front of Bamburgh Castle, with strict instructions not to use the A1, no sh1t Sherlock :)

7:15am on the day of some wedding or other Gretchen stood proudly out front waiting to add to the 10 miles already on the clock. The Garmin Etrex Legend had been programmed with a suitable route the night before, so away we went. The first leg of today’s trip I am starting to learn fairly well so no need to even glance at the Etrex.

From the East End of Sheffield I headed North East to Harley, then Wentworth. Wentworth is a lovely village to visit, nestled between Sheffield, Rotherham, and Barnsley it forms part of the Wentworth Estate and includes a tea room, and a couple of pubs. Parking in the car park is free for bikes.

A big problem from this area is getting North without getting bogged down in towns and cities, my route threaded between Leeds and York, and is the only real compromise using the old A1 to get towards Sherburn in Elmet, the home of Squires Biker Café.

From here the route gets much more fun, heading to Tadcaster then onto to roads that suited Gretchen perfectly. Really enjoying the ride so far, and it’s getting better as she loosens up towards Wighill, then we pickup Rudgate which starts as a very bumpy twisty road, Gretchen handles this very well, soaking up the bumps (possibly helped by me using a seat from a F650GS Dakar).

Rudgate is the old Roman York Bypass, crossing the River Nidd over the newly refurbished Cattal Bridge (dates from around 1800).

At Cattal station had to wait at the level crossing while the signal woman collected the single line token from the train and then come and manually open the crossing gates.

Further along cross the A59 York/Knaresborough road then onto the B6265 which starts as a typical Roman road and takes us up to Boroughbridge. Had my first leg stretch and got a photo of the bike. Really enjoying things so far, bike and helmet are perfect for this kind of route, the helmet gives really good vision, the sun visor isn’t too dark so I can have it down most of the time. Buffeting is reasonable given the blustery conditions so far, and any noise from the helmet is well controlled by my ear plugs.

From Boroughbridge it is North West towards Ripon, the wife rings to see how it is going, 60mph and the Sena SMH10 allows a short clear conversation, skirting round Ripon I pickup the Masham Road. Gretchen is starting to sing, and a few overtakes are smoothly taken.

Masham then Leyburn pass smoothly, so smoothly I forget to stop at the Manor Café, which is a new biker café that has recently opened. Richmond comes and goes shortly after. Now I pick up Dere Street, the old Roman Road towards Scotland.

The A68 comes next, a fun road with lots of hidden dips. I decide to fill up at Fir Tree even though the low fuel light wasn’t on yet.

I pressed on towards Scotland, really enjoying the G650GS I decided to give another biker friendly café a miss, so it was on past the Brigantium Café and upwards towards the border. I spent a short time stretching the old legs at the border, then onwards. Gretchen was getting under my skin now, and we were easily gaining on the sports bike riders through the sharp bends from the border, a short time later I turned East towards Bamburgh. The road was a lovely single track, with plenty of gravel, a perfect road for the little GS.

From Bamburgh it was time to start heading South (ish), so Seahouses, then Alnwick, Rothbury, finally picking up the A68 again but this time following it to Darlington then Northallerton and finally the A19 to York.

Finally got home at half six after a fabulous day. The odo showed 430 miles, every last one of those miles had been a pleasure.

I would actually be very happy with the G650GS as my only bike, it really is fun. The Caberg helmet is now my favourite helmet, it goes well with the G650GS, very comfortable and the view is excellent. The sun visor is perfect for me, and my Sena Bluetooth helmet fits brilliantly (once I worked out how to do it).

Thanks for the day off work Thingy & Watsit.

Attachments

• 29th.jpg
    29th.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 102_0303.JPG
    102_0303.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 158
  • 102_0305.JPG
    102_0305.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 156
  • 102_0308.JPG
    102_0308.JPG