puncture kits

OscarIndia

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend something compact that will fit in a US20 wiht the first aid kit etc, and which is effective. Those compressed air things any use?

Slimbo of this parish was selling them a while back......

I think they're very worth having. I've not needed one yet myself, but have used it several times on other people's bikes.

I won't mention the time when on a group rideout a girl on an 800 got a front flat. A gallant group of tossers sprung to the rescue with repair kits in hand, and soon had the hole plugged. However, nobody could get the tyre to pop back on to the rim, so we had to admint defeat and BMW recovery were called. They fitted a new inner tube as that's what's needed on 800s:blast

A strip of 'rat tails' is cheap and what I carry, had to use it once and was well worth it.

Sadly it was on a brand new tyre and after a couple of months it started to leak slowly. Took it to the tyre repair place and the hole was too near the sidewall for them to repair, so new tyre needed. However, the repair I did took 10 minutes at the side of the road at night, which is a lot quicker and more convenient than waiting for the AA which are averaging 6 hours on each of the two call out's I've needed, plus I got an extra couple of thousand miles out of the tyre.

I'm not a fan of CO2 canisters, great for a bicycle but not so much for a motorbike. If you use it and find it's not enough, or a canister fails, you're stuffed. I got a small 12v air pump from Wilkinson (supermarket) for £10 and put a bmw style plug on it. when needed I just start the bike, plug in the pump to the accessory socket and in a few minutes you're up and running. It was even powerful enough to seat the bead on the front tyre when I changed them a while ago, not quite enough for the rear but then I could probably have used more tyre soap.

All in all, a cheap and effective solution. I know several people on here like the Stop 'n' Go tyre plugger kits, but when I did some searching online I found a lot of negative reports of them not working so I chose to go with rat tails which seemed to have a high success rate. It's the old 'you pays your money' choice.

Stop and Go

Motorcycle tyre plugger ( the small pocket one) along with a mini compressor
Always in the topbox it does not take up too much space

Search the Tinternet for best prices

Frank

Cheers all - I'm specifically thinking about for tail-riding, so v small and only needs to be good enough to get me down from the trail to a road. Can't see the RAC Transit making it where I might well be....:)

Any light puncture kit will do the jod on Tubless tyres and a compressor to go with it saves a lot of hassel.

Slimbos website http://www.bikestopperz.com is where you'll find the best kit for the job.

Make sure you fully understand the process of repairing a tyre, practising on an old tyre is a really good thing to do, instead of just putting the kit in your pack and assuming you'll be ok when the time comes.

A tyre fixed propperly will never need to be redone and the fix will last the life of the tyre. A complex fix (needing more than one bung) will be a get you home fix and you should replace the tyre asap there after (tyre life over).

To reinflate a tyre that has become unseated, a small ratchet strap round the circumfrence of the tyre will compress it into the well allowing an air seal. At about 20-30psi release the strap and the tyre will hopfully pop into place.

Of course if you are riding a bike with inner tubes (most spoked wheel bikes) then these kits will not work for you.

You will need to carry a spare tube and tyre leavers ( a couple of mates wouldn't go a-miss too). You can then repair the tube when you get home in the same way you would a bicycle tube.

Val.

after recently being stranded for 2 hours awaiting recovery:( a stop and go is know tucked away under the seat hopefully it will stay there unused for years to come:)

tubeless or not?

Hi all,
Just I think I understand the procedure to repair a tyre with a plug, and start looking for a kit online, I read things like "the spoked wheels on an Adventure mean tubeless tyres MAY be fitted".
I get the fact that the spokes are round the edge of the rim, but am now wondering if my new Adventure comes with tubeless tyres, or not?
How do I tell?

Following Steptoes link to the Stop Go website I see there is the basic tyre plugger kit and the more expensive gun type applicator kit ( Not bothered about the Co2 cartridges I have a small pump )

Is there any advantage of the gun applicator as opposed to basic applicator thingy? eg easier/quicker to use etc or is it just a bit of marketing bling? :nenau

*** OK Just watched the videos,shouldv`e done that before I posted :rolleyes: the gun applicator looks a little easier to use but is bulkier to carry round. I`ll go with the standard version.

Back
Top Bottom