Filtering behaviour

If the driver makes me brake sharply and steer violently to avoid collision then I very aggressively display my anger by turning on my left indicator.
Absolutly, that certainly shows them - sometimes they respond by wash/wiping their windscreen.:cool

Also, it's quite easy to reach in and remove ignition keys................:augie:augie

ANdres

Tricky on one of the current 1 series or 3 series BMWs, the ignition key's inboard of the steering wheel.

...but try it and let us know how you get on. :D

I've had some mangos trying to get in the top box on the motorway in rush hour. Just back off the revs get em down to 20 MPH for a bit and the message sinks in.:ronno

Filtering is fraught with danger. These days I take it slowly, and won't go along the outside unless I can see an existing or developing gap a quick squirt away.

In addition to occasional oncomers who take umbridge and feel the need to claim every inch of 'their' lane, I've had close encounters with:

- pedestrians stepping in front of artic cabs
- drivers performing impulse U-eys when they've given up with the queue
- drivers overtaking keep left bollards to reach a filter lane or sideroad

In all the above cases the traffic was stationary, and the road users involved didn't consider that anything would be coming along down the outside, therefore no need to look. A nice loud pipe would have been a safety accessory in those circumstances.

I'm especially wary in very long queues, when some drivers can get a bit hot & bothered, the red mist comes down, and they get aggressive and impulsive.

Also, I don't think that 'teaching them a lesson' is helpful. If they don't want to improve themselves, they'll just treat it as an attack and respond accordingly. If they do want to learn, then the close call will be all the lesson they'll need.

There are basically three reactions by drivers after a close call:

- mouthing enraged obscenities and making hand gestures at you
- white-faced shock with a hand over their mouth followed by a cringing wave of apology
- nothing at all because they're too switched off to realise, or too dimwitted to care.

I'm glad you had a safe escape, and thanks for highlighting a hazardous situation so we can all be prepared when it happens to us.

There are basically three reactions by drivers after a close call:

- mouthing enraged obscenities and making hand gestures at you
- white-faced shock with a hand over their mouth followed by a cringing wave of apology
- nothing at all because they're too switched off to realise, or too dimwitted to care.

..and add to that one more that REALLY gets me fcuking annoyed:

- they are too busy to do a thing 'cos they are on their phone

:mad:

though - this was in Dublin

Has anyone on here gone as far as u-turning, getting their reg plate and then reported the offending CNUT for dangerous driving?

Be interested to know how you found the police when dealing with it?
Did they take it on / seriously or just pass it off?

a friend of mine did. :augie
he discovered that kicking a car is 'criminal damage' / which is actually a civil offence / which carries a maximum penalty of a fine.
whereas,
the driver found that deliberately changing lanes and forcing another road user to take evasive action (after my friend tried to get his attention with, first horn, then boot to door) is 'dangerous driving' / which carries a maximum penalty of prison! :eek:

and the Policeman said that his superiors would 'only bother taking the most serious matter to court' and just caution m my 'friend'. :green gri

Off course if all this really pisses you off and happens on a regular basis you could:-

1. Purchase Helmet cam and record all trips then if something happens you have a record of it including reg and you can carry on smiling to yourself and post on yourtube and send the plod a copy.

2. More passive approach buy a yellow GSA, add appropriate yellow/red strips on the front of panniers, white helmet and yellow jacket. The general chav is so thick he normally jumps so far out of your way he hits the hedge:augie. Works for me every summer on the tourist jammed A30 :thumb2.

2. More passive approach buy a yellow GSA, add appropriate yellow/red strips on the front of panniers, white helmet and yellow jacket. The general chav is so thick he normally jumps so far out of your way he hits the hedge:augie. Works for me every summer on the tourist jammed A30 :thumb2.
HID headlight also helps

Carry a stick of rhubarb. Works much better than celery.

a friend of mine did. :augie
he discovered that kicking a car is 'criminal damage' / which is actually a civil offence / which carries a maximum penalty of a fine.
whereas,
the driver found that deliberately changing lanes and forcing another road user to take evasive action (after my friend tried to get his attention with, first horn, then boot to door) is 'dangerous driving' / which carries a maximum penalty of prison! :eek:

and the Policeman said that his superiors would 'only bother taking the most serious matter to court' and just caution m my 'friend'. :green gri

where did the police get the corroboratory evidence for the dangerous driving? Surely your mate's statement wasn't enough? :nenau

where did the police get the corroboratory evidence for the dangerous driving? Surely your mate's statement wasn't enough? :nenau
open mouth / insert foot;
the drivers own statement! :blast
it was also available from traffic cameras. :thumb2

:clap:thumb

In my experience the police are not interested in solving real crimes like bike theft etc so are they really going to care about crossed words on he road? Take vengence - we live in a lawless country! I kicked a car that came head on at me this morning and he was filtering past the cars going in his direction trying to kill me so he now has a dent in his door for his troubles and I am 100% guaranteed to get away with it.

How can they complain if they pick up a war wound if they are driving badly?

A mates other half, a biker himself, was stuck in traffic and saw a bike filtering up so pulled over as much as he could, it wasn't that much seeing as 3 lanes were going into 2 but he made the effort.

The w*nker of the biker was still not impressed so left a big knuckle dent in the drivers door.... and of the car in front.

He got away with it that time but one day he will get his comeuppance.:green gri:green gri

Back
Top Bottom