Tunisia 2011 - So quite and yet so good

skipper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently doing a tour of Tunisia and can't believe how quiet it is, yes I didn't expect it do be crowded but not this quiet.

Arrived it Tunis last Sunday on the first night of the new curfew and stopped on the main street and that was a bit weird. The place empty by 8pm bars closed at 7pm.

After that we headed south and most of the places we have stayed in we have been the only guests in the place, like 4 people in a hotel for 350 is strange. The staff out number us.

We have had no bother and the people have been fantastic, the troubles it appears are not against tourists.

The roads have been fantastic overall and only on the main ones do you need an extra set of eyes.

Want to read more ? well I have kept my website up to date as best as I can and it posted here

Get your bags packed and do it!!!!

Skipper

Nice one..I am doing Tunisia this coming September too, I didn't think there would be much of a problem over there..
Take care, & enjoy..

btw, what did the ferry set you back from Europe..
last time I checked, it was coming in at over £400..

Si

Some places seem to be noisier than others:D
ALeqM5gbt9pXALkhn29YCa5-vsrFiaZGUg

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of anti-western or anti-tourist sentiment in any of ther arab spring countries.

Might be nice with fewer tourists around

Tunisai Trip

Billy, followed your blog so far, looks good, keep it coming. Stay safe, see you in a week or so,

Bill

Nice one..I am doing Tunisia this coming September too, I didn't think there would be much of a problem over there..
Take care, & enjoy..

btw, what did the ferry set you back from Europe..
last time I checked, it was coming in at over £400..

Si
The return ferry from Genoa (lots cheaper than the French connection) was just under £300 each.
We opted for 2 four cabins for more more space so could have been cheaper. The cabins were excellent. The food not so good but you would not die. We opted to visit a supermarket at the port before checking in.

all done

Back home ride finished all updated on website, An excellent adventure.

So pleased 1500 mile on a repaired tyre, stop and go puncture repair kit well done.

Ride report here

Thanks for all the views and comments, if I can help with any questions I will

Skipper

How did you apply for the radio license in Tunisia?

How did you apply for the radio license in Tunisia?

Not sure where in my text I mentioned radio license in Tunisia, or in fact I where I mention the frequency that I used if any.

So I think it will depend as to what license/radio you have and what you wish to use your radio for.

When I first had an interest in bike to bike communications back in 92 and the only radios that could be used where sets operating in the 49mhz band also shared with baby alarms (wonderful tones) and terrible range, I decided to go to night classes and obtained a amateur license class A. allowing me all sorts of frequencies/bands and modes worldwide. With this I can communicate to fellow amateurs (good during a revolution).

In Europe I can revert to 446mhz and can use 500mw on approved equipment and back in the UK I have a business radio (simple) obtained from Ofcom at the cost of £75 for 5 years which allows me to communicate with others in my same group. Providing we keep to the allocated table of frequencies and power output (ERP).

More information can be provided from OFCOM and also for the amateur information try the RSGB (Radio Society for Great Britain). There is a bit to it and at the time I spent 2 years at collage having to learn even Morse code to get the full license. I do believe that this is relaxed a little now.

I hope this helps a little , but I guess you wanted to use your standard equipment within the law in Tunisia.

Skipper

Not sure where in my text I mentioned radio license in Tunisia, or in fact I where I mention the frequency that I used if any.

So I think it will depend as to what license/radio you have and what you wish to use your radio for.

When I first had an interest in bike to bike communications back in 92 and the only radios that could be used where sets operating in the 49mhz band also shared with baby alarms (wonderful tones) and terrible range, I decided to go to night classes and obtained a amateur license class A. allowing me all sorts of frequencies/bands and modes worldwide. With this I can communicate to fellow amateurs (good during a revolution).

In Europe I can revert to 446mhz and can use 500mw on approved equipment and back in the UK I have a business radio (simple) obtained from Ofcom at the cost of £75 for 5 years which allows me to communicate with others in my same group. Providing we keep to the allocated table of frequencies and power output (ERP).

More information can be provided from OFCOM and also for the amateur information try the RSGB (Radio Society for Great Britain). There is a bit to it and at the time I spent 2 years at collage having to learn even Morse code to get the full license. I do believe that this is relaxed a little now.

I hope this helps a little , but I guess you wanted to use your standard equipment within the law in Tunisia.

Skipper

Thanks for that. We had noddy ones (you buy from Decathlon) confiscated at immigration. So I suspect you manage to smuggle yours in successfully.

We got them back when we left, and there were no hassles from the officers who were very reasonable.

One more thing

On the subject of confiscation , we were asked if we had GPS to which because of the language barrier my friend replied no!!!

We had been warned earlier to remove anything electronic from view of the customs.

Skipper

Thank you.

The child in our group is 50 nest year and we are planning to go to Tunisia to celebrate.
You have made it easy.

What a terrific link to you trip.

Thanks again. Myke

Skipper, thanks for the write up, and the link to your RR.

Did Morocco last year, friend of mine did Tunisia last year, just 'cause he had nothing else to do that week, I'm thinking I'll be overthere somewhere in 2012 :thumb

Grtz, Philip!

Back
Top Bottom