An afternoon off-tarmac in the Cotswolds

whisky_ed

Reaction score
Aye, so. Here goes, one pint in:

I've been wanting to take the 650 off the black stuff and be adventurous, ahem, for a while now. I learnt yesterday that green-lane locations are a closely guarded secret here so I googled myself over to a landrover forum where they were far less discreet. Map bought I headed into the 'wolds and off the radar.

I gotta say, the first bit of bumpy, story, gravelly track had me giving it 5p 50p like Christ knows what, but after a bit I felt a bit better about the gravel anyway - compared to the bumps, the ruts and random rocks.

My main aim was to find a route or two which I would do again, I think I have. Having said that I'm fairly sure I shouldn't have been in a couple of places that I was earlier...

Seems like its a bit of a minefield, this whole greenlaning malarkey. I am aware of the TRF, much like I'm aware of the IAM and other orgs. I'm of the opinion that you gotta try something to know if you like it and all that. Or get to a certain level, then go onward. Does that read right? Beery thoughts. :D

Anyhow, I've identified a load of areas of this non-tarmac business that I could improve on and I'm fairly sure an adjustable spanner and armour are fairly necessary items of equipment.

Anyone going to be doing any "off-road in the Gloucester area this summer and doesn't mind a novice tagging along?

Yours, unsubscribed as yet,

:)

whisky_ed

5ec3943a-7bf6-b49f.jpg
5ec3943a-7c26-5f05.jpg

Keep an eye on the West Mids section as Mav posts up a few green lane rides in your area. :thumb

I'm in a similar situation to you!!!
I live in Stroud and am trying to get into the mindset to take my 1200gs onto the shitty bits for the first time!! (Sounds basic, but after riding sports and tourers it seems foreign taking your road bike off road!)
I think I can still remember a shed load of decent greenies around the area though. I used to be a nght time lane thrasher in a modded car many years ago!

I think you'd find gloucester trf pretty accomodating, they've got one of the main row guys in the trf stationed there and they had a friendly article in the trf magazine. You could also try burtieboy of this parish who's up in cheltenham who does rideouts under the adventourers banner for charity

Back
Top Bottom