French Alps May 2011

The strange monoliths are natural, the rocks on top are hard and so the soft rock around it erodes leaving the hard rocks up high. I guess they will all fall down eventually. I couldn't believe it when I first saw them. I go to that area every summer but looking at your photos I will now have to go when there is snow around as it looks great. Thanks for posting them, can't wait to be back there.

That explains it then. Thanks Mike. :)

Fri 05/05/11

Col d' Allos here we come... :thumb2

pic46-2.jpg

Lets go!

pic47-2.jpg

Getting tired of snow? :nenau :D

pic48-2.jpg

pic50-2.jpg

The little GS. :comfort

pic49-2.jpg

pic51-1.jpg

Crucifixion?

pic52-2.jpg

Tea break.

pic53-2.jpg

Heading down from the Col d' Allos on the D908 take a left on the D902 and it will take you along Gorges de Daluis which the locals call 'Little Colorado'. Very red rock gorge which lasts for about 10km and then stops.

pic54-2.jpg

pic55-2.jpg

pic56-2.jpg

The other side of the Col de la Coyolle.

pic57-2.jpg

We saw plenty of these little critters (Marmots). But they leg it quicker than is decent. Managed to sneak up on this one. ;)

pic58-2.jpg

Sat 06/05/11

Time to head North and towards home.

This meant going back over the Col de Vars and up to Briancon. The Col du Galibier was closed so we had to dip into Italy and go through the tunnel at Frejus.

It cost 26 euros and is 13km (8miles) long.

pic59-2.jpg

Some pics of the day.

pic69-1.jpg

pic70-1.jpg

pic71-1.jpg

Entrance to old railway tunnel at Mont Cenis.

pic72-1.jpg

pic73-1.jpg

pic74-1.jpg

Stopped in Albertville for the night and we were serenaded by the welcoming committee. :friday

pic76-1.jpg

Albertville main square.

pic77-1.jpg

Sun 07/05/11

Heading north from Albertville on N roads and around Lake Geneva.

Why is it when heading for home you just seem to want to press on. :nenau

pic78-1.jpg

Still hot...

pic80-1.jpg

Warm picnic. :thumb

pic79-1.jpg

Reached Pontarlier and found a hotel for the night.

pic82-1.jpg

pic81-1.jpg

Mon 08/05/11

Nice ride up through the Vosges region and stopped at St Die-des Vosges for the night. This region is great and very Black Foresty (which is just over the border).

St Die

pic83-1.jpg

WTF is this? Mike or anybody... :nenau

pic84-1.jpg

Tues 09/05/11

With no rain for over a week there was no choice but to head for the Ardennes in Belgium. I love the place. :thumb2

Hotel near St Hubert.

pic85.jpg

Result... :clap

pic86-1.jpg

I consoled myself. :D

pic87-1.jpg

Wed 10/05/11

To the tunnel and home.

Thanks for looking. :beerjug:

pic88-1.jpg

Nice One Tricky your photo of the Col d Allos brings back memories as does the Gorges de Dalluis from my run in 2008 beautiful part of the world

Mind you Franco tells me that was the wetest May in years

Norrie

It was wet :D Now, however, it's hot, 32C and sunny. So, I've got tomorrow off, and the wife and boys are in Devon for her cousin's wedding, so I'm off up the Alps or Gorges du Verdon tomorrow, and Saturday, and mebbe Sunday too.

I'll post some piccies. Looks like you had a great trip though.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom