Importing GSA to Malaysia or Thailand

ahmorris

Reaction score
There's a great write up of how to self-import a bike (F800GS) from the UK to Singapore at http://f800gsrider.blogspot.com/2009/04/self-importing-motorbike-from-uk-to.html

Anyone seen anything similar anywhere for importing a bike into Malaysia (KL) or Thailand (Phuket)?

I currently living in Hong Kong but will relocate for a relatively long time (5 to 10 years) to Kuala Lumpur. I have a place in Phuket, Thailand so could store it there for a few years if this improves things viz bringing it into KL a sometime.

I have a Dec-10 GSA 30th Anniversary model which I don't want to sell / store and may find difficult / impossible to find in Malaysia. From what I have read (including some info from DeaninKL) it seems to be outrageously expensive / word of hassle to take into Malaysia.

Think I'd rather import it and use as a modern-art sculpture in the lounge rather than sell :(

Anyone got any bright ideas?

It could be quite troublesome to import your bike into Malaysia as not only would you have to pay the high import tax, you will need to shell out more money for an import permit.
Having said that, buying a new or used GS here is simple enough, with all variants readily available. You can buy a bike from the official BMW agent, where you pay more but get BMW warranty or buy from a grey importer but no warranty.
I just bought a brand new Triple Black 1200GS from official dealer at RM120,000.00. To give you an indiication of u
'used' prices, I noticed a used 30th Anniv GS sold for RM105,000 recently.
(1£ = RM4.86)

Back
Top Bottom