Which car sat nav ?

markymark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just ordered the Hein Gericke streetline sat nav bag but need a sat nav for it.
As I can't ( well the wife ) justify the price for a proper bike one it needs to be a car one.
Which car sat navs work well enough on a bike ?
It is for 1 week around France & a weekend away in the UK.
Any help greatly appreciated, Cheers :thumb

Not sure if any are Bluetooth? My car tomtom xl battery only lasts two hours so not much use.

Cheers for the quick replies, forgot to say I'm not fussed about bluetooth as it's just to make quick glances at as I'm riding, prefer a route planning option & was looking at the Nuvi 1440T or 1490T but I think they are quite big & may be a tight fit for the hein gericke bag.
The Becker Z101 I have usually shuts down after about 5 / 10 mins of riding Bas**rd :mad:

Make sure you do your research properly. If you want to do route planning on your PC and then transfer the route to your GPS then make sure that you buy a model capable of this, many lesser Nuvis aren't. Find the product page for the model you are looking for on the Garmin site, use the search facility as this will find models not listed, such as those now officially discontinued but still available as White Box units. When looking at the product page click the 'specs' tab and look for the 'routes' row. If this lists a zero as the answer then that unit can't do routes in a sense that makes them useful for recreational motorcycling, they'll do A to B but not follow the route you specifically want them to, the sat nav will decide that for you.

I've recently downgraded from a StreetPilot 2720, which is a very capable Garmin unit, to a Nuvi 765t. This does full routes, has a 3.5mm audio out jack to plug into my Autocom and even has Bluetooth. It came with full European mapping and only cost £115 new off eBay. The advantages over the 2720 are that it has the capacity to hold all of Europe rather than only the majority, has an integrated MP3 player, a bigger screen, speed limit display on screen and in internal battery. Less useful are the lane assist and the 3D buildings.

Obviously it's not waterproof but an Akron waterproof zip case sorts that and mounts to my existing RAM hardware. The power lead is 12v, no transformer required, so it's directly wired to a switched feed off the bike.

Make sure you do your research properly. If you want to do route planning on your PC and then transfer the route to your GPS then make sure that you buy a model capable of this, many lesser Nuvis aren't. Find the product page for the model you are looking for on the Garmin site, use the search facility as this will find models not listed, such as those now officially discontinued but still available as White Box units. When looking at the product page click the 'specs' tab and look for the 'routes' row. If this lists a zero as the answer then that unit can't do routes in a sense that makes them useful for recreational motorcycling, they'll do A to B but not follow the route you specifically want them to, the sat nav will decide that for you.

I've recently downgraded from a StreetPilot 2720, which is a very capable Garmin unit, to a Nuvi 765t. This does full routes, has a 3.5mm audio out jack to plug into my Autocom and even has Bluetooth. It came with full European mapping and only cost £115 new off eBay. The advantages over the 2720 are that it has the capacity to hold all of Europe rather than only the majority, has an integrated MP3 player, a bigger screen, speed limit display on screen and in internal battery. Less useful are the lane assist and the 3D buildings.

Obviously it's not waterproof but an Akron waterproof zip case sorts that and mounts to my existing RAM hardware. The power lead is 12v, no transformer required, so it's directly wired to a switched feed off the bike.

Cheers for that Bumpkin, I trawled through the Garmin web site last night hence the choice of the Nuvi 1440 or 1490 but the smaller 765T looks ideal & with a headphone socket is ideal, just need to find 1 with up to date European & UK maps :thumb

Nokia 5230, free maps on it, will bluetooth to helmet if ever you need that, 3.5mm jack so you could use earphones.

Route plan using ovi maps online using pc, sync phone online and all favourites and routes are on your phone.

What other sat nav makers let you route plan ?
If you create a route on 'via michelin' can you then send it to any make of sat nav that is on the michelin web site ????? :flag

The Nokia from carphone warehouse http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mo...c=phoneFinder&tariffNetworks=&clearance=false
Comes unlocked so get best PAYG deal use credit then stick own sim in if you like.

Some of the Garmin range using Mapsource (which you may have to buy to get routable maps).

A good compromise is something like the Garmin Legend Hcx which is an hand held GPS, runs off 2x AA batteries for 16+ hours. Get a handle bar mount, the GPS is waterproof to 3metres so fine on bike in heavy rain. You would also need Mapsource to plan routes, stick a 2GB microsd in the Garmin and you can have all the europe maps routable on the GPS. Plus if you go walking comes in handy for that too.

Some of the Garmin range using Mapsource (which you may have to buy to get routable maps).

Mapsource is free to download. However, it's as much use as a chocolate teapot without any Garmin mapping data. There's a bit of an apparent Catch 22 situation if you buy a Garmin that doesn't come with Mapsource and the mapping on DVD. The installation of the Mapsource download insists on the presence of some existing Garmin mapping data on the PC. Only the likes of the Zumos come with Mapsource and mapping on a DVD in the box, Nuvis tend to just have the pre installed mapping and the option to update this during the first 60 days of ownership (in fact this is the first 60 days after the device gets it's first satellite fix).

I'm not sure if the new Garmin downloadable mapping will install to your PC without Mapsource already installed, ISTR that it wont. Though things may have changed in this respect since I did my last install onto a PC without Mapsource already installed.

However, there is something of a hack that lets you do the Mapsource install from the download. Instructions are here.

Once you've done this you can then install your mapping via a download from your myGarmin account using the 60 nuMaps guarantee or a nuMaps OneTime or LifeTime subscription. You will still need to keep a wary eye out for the install options button as you proceed though the download wizard. Clicking on this will give you the option to install to your GPS, your PC or both. Don't get sucked into clicking Next > Next > Next etc. or you'll miss it.

I reiterate that there's very little point in having Mapsource unless you buy a Garmin that can do user defined routes in the proper sense, see my post above. It can be used for custom POI management for lesser Garmins but that's about it.

I've just ordered the Hein Gericke streetline sat nav bag but need a sat nav for it.
As I can't ( well the wife ) justify the price for a proper bike one it needs to be a car one.
Which car sat navs work well enough on a bike ?
It is for 1 week around France & a weekend away in the UK.
Any help greatly appreciated, Cheers :thumb

Not sure which car sat nav ..

But for carrying a sat nav without mounts, this is better than the HG one.

This is getting confusing :blast
All I need to do is plot a route from Calais to Nice via the route napolion N85 etc without having to stop & look at maps every 10 mins.
With the basic Nuvi 2240 or 2440 do you create a route on your pc then send to the unit or create it on the actual sat nav screen ? As you can tell I'm new to this. Say I've created my route on google maps can I send this route to a sat nav device or is it not that straight forward ?

Thanks for the answers so far :JB

This is getting confusing :blast
All I need to do is plot a route from Calais to Nice via the route napolion N85 etc without having to stop & look at maps every 10 mins.
With the basic Nuvi 2240 or 2440 do you create a route on your pc then send to the unit or create it on the actual sat nav screen ? As you can tell I'm new to this. Say I've created my route on google maps can I send this route to a sat nav device or is it not that straight forward ?

It's not as simple as falling off a log that's for sure ;)

Both the Nuvis you list do routes in the sense that I'm talking about. The difference between A-B and proper custom routing is:

a/ Being in one place and telling your GPS you want to be at another, the GPS decides how you get there. This is the quick and dirty way and you may well find yourself heading down an autoroute rather than following that nice wiggly N road you saw on that Michelin map.

b/ You spend some time researching before you leave home, or on your netbook in your hotel room, finding the ideal route. You then plot this in Mapsource defining points to influence the route sufficiently so it goes where you want it to. You then upload this to your GPS and off you go.

For recreational biking option b/ makes the trip a pleasure whereas a/ can, quite easily, turn it into a boring drudge.

I've come across quite a few Zumo users who haven't bothered to install Mapsource and are just doing a/ :banghead:

The number listed against routes in the Garmin specs are the number of routes that you can have stored in the menus ready to select. You can have practically an infinite number on the SD card or in spare internal memory that you can load into the menus as you need them replacing those listed. So having 10 is only slightly less convenient that having 100. This is the same is it's a Zumo or route capable Nuvi.

Creating routes in Google Maps and transferring to a sat nav is possible but isn't quite as easy as that may sound. It is, at the least a three stage process and results may differ a little from what Google Maps does with the route and what your Garmin Nuvi does. Far better to use Mapsource and spend some time getting used to it, it does have a few quirks but is the better tool for the job in the end.

As well as Mapsource I use a program called ITN Converter quite extensively. It enables you to convert route files between many formats and even has it's own route creating tool which is based on the Google Maps API.

You can, at a real pinch, create routes on the unit itself but I wouldn't recommend it.

Don't expect to take delivery of a Garmin, or any other, GPS three days before embarking on a tour and not have massive problems/frustration. Get it well in advance, months if possible, and use it for real (even if just to a from work) getting used to it and Mapsource. Plot routes for each day or even half day and don't try to include ferry crossings (end route at exit port and start a new one at entry port). When adding navigation points on dual carriageways ensure that the point is on the correct side of the Armco otherwise you might find yourself wondering why your GPS is asking you to double back. It pays to zoom in on each point you add to make sure it's not up a side road.

I did Nice to Calais last year (via RN85, Mt Ventoux and the Gorge du Tarn), having gone down via the Alps first. My Garmin did the lot with aplomb and enabled us to make good progress whilst riding only tasty looking N and D roads South of the Champagne region (our choice). We only looked at maps for an overview in the evening or maybe at lunch time. You're in for a treat.

Don't miss out on the Gorge du Verdon though.
DSCN6604.jpg

Provance
DSCN6627.jpg

Thanks very much Bumpkin, you've made it clearer :beerjug:
The photos are great.
If I have a spare sd card could I send routes to it them use it in the nuvi when I get to france if 10 isn't enough ?

What other sat nav makers let you route plan ?
If you create a route on 'via michelin' can you then send it to any make of sat nav that is on the michelin web site ????? :flag

What you send is rather different to what you are hoping for - only the "main" (read towns and cities) waypoints will be tranferred so effectively you have to rebuild the route in Mapsource

If I have a spare sd card could I send routes to it them use it in the nuvi when I get to france if 10 isn't enough ?

Yes, you'll need to save them to a specific folder on the SD card (/Garmin/GPX/). You can save a GPX file created with ITN Converter directly to this folder or use the 'send to device' command from with Mapsource, the latter will create the correct folder for you.

There is a similar folder on the internal memory of the GPS as well that can be used the same way though you'll probably want an SD card for music as well anyway. I have a 4GB card in mine, enough for about 1000 tracks. The route files are pretty small, you can have hundreds on there.

Imported routes wont just appear in the custom routes menu, you will need to import the ones you need by going into 'My Data' and choosing the one/s that you want to have in the custom routes list.

I decided on the Garmin nuvi 1440 a bit tight in the Hein Gericke bag but it goes in & works better than my old Becker, £112 in Currys.
Thanks for all the replies, is there a web site that I can download allready created routes straight to the Garmin ? :blast

Back
Top Bottom