Thread: Sprockets

Hybrid View

Sprockets

Has anyone tried fitting a smaller sprocket on the back or a bigger sprocket on thr front of the 800? Would like to sit at 90 without wanting to wait for a piston to jump out the side.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

17t Front

Hi, I just traded my yellow F800Gs, but a few weeks ago I ordered a renthal 17tooth front sprocket thinking it had originally a 16tooth one from the factory.
    When I got it off it was exactly the same, my next move was to order a smaller rear sprocket, I think it's the only way so check the teeth before u order, might save u some £££..

Up a tooth

17 now on the front of mine, lowers the cruising speed revs my 500rpm, fuel economy is up getting 64 cruising at 85mph.

Best £15 mod I've done to the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusfordus View Post
    17 now on the front of mine, lowers the cruising speed revs my 500rpm, fuel economy is up getting 64 cruising at 85mph.

Best £15 mod I've done to the bike.
    Does this mod make any noticeable difference to the acceleration?

Andy.

Hi there

Just carried out my yearly service including the valves and changed the front sprocket to a 17 tooth on the front and took it out for a test ride today, and wow what a difference. Not only does it lower the revs by about 500 rpm which makes 85mph cruising much more liveable but it also makes the bike much smoother with no issues on acceleration really.

The only issue was that the sprocket was sized on and and I had to persuade it off with a slide hammer but all good and the bike is great.

All for now

Mark

Up a tooth

Quote Originally Posted by outrunner View Post
    Does this mod make any noticeable difference to the acceleration?

Andy.

I've noticed it's better for overtakes as it hangs on a bit longer before needing a change up the box.

I always thought the standard gearing was made for the bike going off-road with knobblies on. Way to low for everyday road riding. It will still pull away on an incline in 2nd

17t

I could give that spare sprocket a good home if it needs one...

Hi Greggers, I don't need it, but it's done 12k I think unless it was changed when they did the chain recall. It looks in good condition & ok for test purposes, but I wouldnt recommend fitting it long term. If u want it cover the postage no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusfordus View Post
    I always thought the standard gearing was made for the bike going off-road with knobblies on. Way to low for everyday road riding. It will still pull away on an incline in 2nd
    How different we all are. I have gone down to a 15 on the front and up to a 45 (from 42) and I think it is now perfect for normal weekend riding.
    It was working hard on a 4 day trip to Scotland though.

Wimborne: The centre of my known Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponphil View Post
    Hi, I just traded my yellow F800Gs, but a few weeks ago I ordered a renthal 17tooth front sprocket thinking it had originally a 16tooth one from the factory.
    When I got it off it was exactly the same, my next move was to order a smaller rear sprocket, I think it's the only way so check the teeth before u order, might save u some £££..
    I could give that spare sprocket a good home if it needs one...

G